Post a reply

Will Ronnie win the Worlds this year?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes : 24

Re: Will Ronnie win the World Championship this year?

Postby Cloud Strife

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:I'd like to see someone like Selby or Ronnie move to the other side of the world to be able to be a pro sportsman. And at the same time being the only player the whole of the United Kingdom expects to win the "world" championship (which is always in China)... And at the same time the Chinese crowd shouting hateful comments at them. I think they would not be able to take it.

Would Ronnie understand the Chinese insults? Or care ?

Yes he would. Because besides practicing snooker, he also has taken the time to learn Chinese just like Ding has put in alot of work to understand English.

It's a moot point because Ronnie would never get that sort of abuse anywhere. He's universally loved the world over. :-D

Postby Pink Ball

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:I'd like to see someone like Selby or Ronnie move to the other side of the world to be able to be a pro sportsman. And at the same time being the only player the whole of the United Kingdom expects to win the "world" championship (which is always in China)... And at the same time the Chinese crowd shouting hateful comments at them. I think they would not be able to take it.

Yes he would. Because besides practicing snooker, he also has taken the time to learn Chinese just like Ding has put in alot of work to understand English.

Ronnie put in time to learn that funny language? Oh lawdy.

Postby Pink Ball

Cloud Strife wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:

It's a moot point because Ronnie would never get that sort of abuse anywhere. He's universally loved the world over. :-D

Hahaha that's actually true enough.

Postby Holden Chinaski

You can't compare Hendry's snooker career to Ding's. You just can't. He did not have to make the same sacrifices as Ding.

Sorry if my english is starting to become less perfect. It's hard when you're saying something serious and english is not your first language.

Postby Chalk McHugh

Pink Ball wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:Didn't that experience in 2007 send Ding into a funk for a few years? I don't think he fully recovered until about 2010? That's a sign of mental weakness, imo.

I think it would have ruined some people if it happened at that kind of setting at that age. It took Ding two years to recover. I think that was a sign of mental strength rather than mental weakness.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I'm entitled to think your opinion is rubbish.

I've seen Hendry suffer much worse abuse in London, especially when playing Jimmy. The crowd at times were like a baying mob. Never bothered him at all, just shrugged it off and silenced the crowd with his snooker.

Hendry = mentally tough
Ding = mentally weak

I've seen Hendry take rubbish in London, right enough, but not at Ding's age. I also find it interesting that you were earlier seeming to doubt Ding had gotten any racist abuse at all, but now you're happy to presume that what Hendry got was worse. How do you know?

Ding had no/little English back then. How did he understand the insults. What were the insults?

Postby Iranu

Cloud Strife wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:Didn't that experience in 2007 send Ding into a funk for a few years? I don't think he fully recovered until about 2010? That's a sign of mental weakness, imo.

I think it would have ruined some people if it happened at that kind of setting at that age. It took Ding two years to recover. I think that was a sign of mental strength rather than mental weakness.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I'm entitled to think your opinion is rubbish.

I've seen Hendry suffer much worse abuse in London, especially when playing Jimmy. The crowd at times were like a baying mob. Never bothered him at all, just shrugged it off and silenced the crowd with his snooker.

Hendry = mentally tough
Ding = mentally weak

Not the same as racist abuse though, is it?

Plus he was a proven winner at that time so it's kind of a different situation. When he was young he had support because he was pretender to the throne.

Ding WAS pretender to the throne, but the Masters crowd are a bunch of Laaahndon runts. Many players have crumbled there while facing Ronnie and Jimmy, but racism is an entirely different ball game.

We Brits like to say we love an underdog. The truth is that's bullocks. We love Federer (sorry SF), we love Tiger, we love Ronnie (who was never truly an underdog), we love Floyd, we loved Ali, we love Messi, we love Pele. The list goes on.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Badsnookerplayer wrote:I don’t believe ROS speaks Mandarin does he? The only interaction with Chinese media I remember is when he was making lewd comments to a young reporter who he knew would not understand what he was saying. About noshing him off or something

I was saying, imagine if Ronnie tried to do what Ding did. And Ding learned English!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:I don’t believe ROS speaks Mandarin does he? The only interaction with Chinese media I remember is when he was making lewd comments to a young reporter who he knew would not understand what he was saying. About noshing him off or something

I was saying, imagine if Ronnie tried to do what Ding did. And Ding learned English!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry. I stand corrected.

Postby Chalk McHugh

Iranu wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Hendry = mentally tough
Ding = mentally weak

Plus he was a proven winner at that time so it's kind of a different situation. When he was young he had support because he was pretender to the throne.

Ding WAS pretender to the throne, but the Masters crowd are a bunch of Laaahndon runts. Many players have crumbled there while facing Ronnie and Jimmy, but racism is an entirely different ball game.

We Brits like to say we love an underdog. The truth is that's bullocks. We love Federer (sorry SF), we love Tiger, we love Ronnie (who was never truly an underdog), we love Floyd, we loved Ali, we love Messi, we love Pele. The list goes on.

Everyone respects greatness but many hate Tiger and Floyd. And that's not racsist.

Postby Iranu

Chalk McHugh wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Hendry = mentally tough
Ding = mentally weak

I've seen Hendry take rubbish in London, right enough, but not at Ding's age. I also find it interesting that you were earlier seeming to doubt Ding had gotten any racist abuse at all, but now you're happy to presume that what Hendry got was worse. How do you know?

Ding had no/little English back then. How did he understand the insults. What were the insults?

This argument keeps being made, and it's starting to snake hiss me off to be honest

I can hardly speak any French but I know that Anglais = English and I know plenty of swear words. Same with Spanish and German.

Particularly with English because it's the lingua franca of the world and it would be easy to pick up enough to know when you're being insulted while still understanding little enough that you feel completely isolated in a foreign country.

Postby Pink Ball

Chalk McHugh wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Hendry = mentally tough
Ding = mentally weak

Is this seriously your argument? I had no English until I was 12 but I knew all the less polite words.

Postby Chalk McHugh

Pink Ball wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:I like Ding.

Never said you didn't, but that doesn't change that your opinion is horse rubbish on this matter.

To you. And others. But maybe its not to others. Either way i aint saying different to how i feel just to keep the peace and satisfy others.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Ding could not speak english very well at the time, but he did understand english. And it's not hard to understand what those idiots were shouting at all. Even if he didn't understand you must be an idiot to not hear they are hating on you...

Jesus, I'm going to stop posting about this cause I like you guys but I can not respect your opinion on this. I feel you guys are clueless about what Ding's life has been like compared to guys like Ronnie and Hendry and Selby... It's not the same and Ding deserves respect from the snooker world in my opinion. thats all I have to say about it. I'm mad now.

Postby Pink Ball

Chalk McHugh wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Hendry = mentally tough
Ding = mentally weak

Everyone respects greatness but many hate Tiger and Floyd. And that's not racsist.

It is if you call them dirty black nigger chameleons.

Postby Cloud Strife

Pink Ball wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Hendry = mentally tough
Ding = mentally weak

I wasn't doubting Ding getting racially abused at all. I simply pointed out that all we had thus far was speculation and second-hand accounts. I wanted someone to clear it up unequivocally and actually confirm what happened which you have done, so I'm grateful for that.

I've been to Hendry matches at Wembley and I struggle to imagine anyone suffering worse than what Hendry had to endure, but that's pure conjecture on my part because there's no way for me to know for sure.

Postby Holden Chinaski

If insulting someone in a language they might not understand fully is allright, I will insult you in my own language:

Jullie zijn een bende mongolen als jullie denken dat Ding niet mentaal sterk is. Eikels.

rofl

Postby Pink Ball

Chalk McHugh wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:I like Ding.

Never said you didn't, but that doesn't change that your opinion is horse rubbish on this matter.

To you. And others. But maybe its not to others. Either way i aint saying different to how i feel just to keep the peace and satisfy others.

I don't think the people who would tend to agree with you are exactly the kind of people I'd like in my corner. A few weeks ago I was grossly unfair to Snucar and I evetually admitted to that because it was the right thing to do. You're being grossly unfair but you're digging your heels in over it. I'm not going to change your opinion but I personally don't think you've anything to be proud of on this one. We'll leave it at that, perhaps.

Postby Iranu

Holden Chinaski wrote:If insulting someone in a language they might not understand fully is allright, I will insult you in my own language:

Jullie zijn een bende mongolen als jullie denken dat Ding niet mentaal sterk is. Eikels.

rofl

I feel like "mongolen" is pretty easy to roughly translate rofl

Postby Pink Ball

Cloud Strife wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Hendry = mentally tough
Ding = mentally weak

I wasn't doubting Ding getting racially abused at all. I simply pointed out that all we had thus far was speculation and second-hand accounts. I wanted someone to clear it up unequivocally and actually confirm what happened which you have done, so I'm grateful for that.

I've been to Hendry matches at Wembley and I struggle to imagine anyone suffering worse than what Hendry had to endure, but that's pure conjecture on my part because there's no way for me to know for sure.

And that's a fair response.

Postby Cloud Strife

Iranu wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Hendry = mentally tough
Ding = mentally weak

"You Scottish fuckhead!"
"buck off back to scotchland, you jock runt!"
"You miserable jock rubbish"

These are just a few of the pleasantries that Hendry was subjected to.

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:

I don't like him.

Postby Iranu

Cloud Strife wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Hendry = mentally tough
Ding = mentally weak

"You Scottish fuckhead!"
"buck off back to scotchland, you jock runt!"
"You miserable jock rubbish"

These are just a few of the pleasantries that Hendry was subjected to.

Well it's a bit different when you know the language so could respond in kind, even if the situation sictates that you can't. It's so much worse when you understand enough to understand the abuse but can't speak the language so you know you can't say anything back because there's a helplessness there as well.

It's the difference between being in a boxing match, and being tied to a chair and getting punched repeatedly in the face.

Plus, Hendry was the dominant player in his meetings with Jimmy. He beat him most of the time so he had that to draw on and knew that the crowd was trying to put him off because Jimmy needed their help. Ding was a 19 year old in (one of?) his first match against Ronnie and was already well on his way to being swept aside when tbat abuse came. It was cruel and heartless and served no purpose other than to make Ding feel even more like rubbish than he already did.

Also even if Hendry lost he could pop back up to Scotland and be with his family within a few hours - Ding didn't have that luxury and there was almost no one on the tour he could confide in either.

Incomparable in my opinion.