Post a reply

Re: Did Jill Douglas need to apologise?

Postby Chalk McHugh

Ice Cube ' Today was a good day '. Classic. Rap obviously works for some, with some of those artists obscenely wealthy. The big surprise to many in America when the likes of NWA became popular was how popular it became in middle class, white America. Everybody loves a bad boy it seemed to say and the Bible belt did not like it.

The World went a little crazy when the most famous golfer was a black man and the most famous rapper was white ; Tiger and Eminem brakibg down age old barriers.

Rap, like all musical genres, inspires millions worldwide. It was the music (well a large part along with the dance/rave scene) to my youth. The best of days.

Postby Dan-cat

Chalk McHugh wrote:Ice Cube ' Today was a good day '. Classic. Rap obviously works for some, with some of those artists obscenely wealthy. The big surprise to many in America when the likes of NWA became popular was how popular it became in middle class, white America. Everybody loves a bad boy it seemed to say and the Bible belt did not like it.

The World went a little crazy when the most famous golfer was a black man and the most famous rapper was white ; Tiger and Eminem brakibg down age old barriers.

Rap, like all musical genres, inspires millions worldwide. It was the music (well a large part along with the dance/rave scene) to my youth. The best of days.

+1

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Chalk McHugh wrote:The big surprise to many in America when the likes of NWA became popular was how popular it became in middle class, white America. Everybody loves a bad boy it seemed to say and the Bible belt did not like it.

Rap got huge with rocks traditional audience in America. The whole attitude and vibe of it was similar to rock but turned up several notches. Twisted Sister singing "We're not gonna take it" and other angry with my parents/teachers music looked tame compared to the stuff gangsta rappers were coming out with. The Run-DMC version of Walk This Way followed by the Beastie Boys would have been the first time rap started to appeal to this audience, I doubt if The Message or White Lines would have been huge with Van Halen fans in Middle America.

Postby SnookerEd25

Chalk McHugh wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Call me old school but I still think it's hard to beat Grandmaster Flash and "The Message". Not sure how gracefully it's aged, but buck it was groundbreaking stuff.

That was the first proper hip hop tune. One of my all time favourites. Simply a work of genius. Love it.

Not quite. The Message was 1982, Sugarhill Gang's "Rapper's Delight" (1979) is generally considered to be the first proper hip-hop track, though i think Gil Scott-Heron's "the Revolution will not be televised" (1971) should be given the accolade.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Call me old school but I still think it's hard to beat Grandmaster Flash and "The Message". Not sure how gracefully it's aged, but buck it was groundbreaking stuff.

That was the first proper hip hop tune. One of my all time favourites. Simply a work of genius. Love it.

Not quite. The Message was 1982, Sugarhill Gang's "Rapper's Delight" (1979) is generally considered to be the first proper hip-hop track, though i think Gil Scott-Heron's "the Revolution will not be televised" (1971) should be given the accolade.

Yeah The Message was far from the first.

Interestingly the Sugarhill Gang were a manufactured band, put together by producer Sylvia Robinson.

There is a brilliant four part documentary on Netflix called The Evolution of Hip-hop - do everything in your power to watch it, it's fascinating and the tunes are bangerzzzzzz!

Postby Chalk McHugh

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:

Yea Rappers Delight was Funktastic. Groovy.

Postby Chalk McHugh

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:

Yeah The Message was far from the first.

Interestingly the Sugarhill Gang were a manufactured band, put together by producer Sylvia Robinson.

There is a brilliant four part documentary on Netflix called The Evolution of Hip-hop - do everything in your power to watch it, it's fascinating and the tunes are bangerzzzzzz!

First proper one for me. There were others but the Message brought it to a whole new level.