Post a reply

Re: Shootout 2018

Postby Dan-cat

Two young guys on the table beside me today playing shoot out rules using an iPhone. They came to play snooker for the first time because they had watched the shootout.

Postby Chalk McHugh

Dan-cat wrote:Two young guys on the table beside me today playing shoot out rules using an iPhone. They came to play snooker for the first time because they had watched the shootout.

Two new fans already. Wow.

Postby Lucky

Dan-cat wrote:Two young guys on the table beside me today playing shoot out rules using an iPhone. They came to play snooker for the first time because they had watched the shootout.

My son is nine and has took an interest in it. Loses interest in proper snooker almost immediately. Snooker snobs should remove the blinkers and realise that just because there is snooker on most weekends the future is not guaranteed. Do kids today get any buzz from a final involving two players who were stars 15-20 years ago?

Postby Lucky

Pink Ball wrote:My only problem with it is that it has ranking points. It'd be just as likely to pull in fans if it was a non-ranking tournament. It has its moments, as a novelty.

One tournament out of how many? Does it do any harm? Some random from the 90's wins a 'proper' ranker and the fans rejoice......someone wins this and it's regarded as a joke. Anyone can enter, anyone can win, same as the other tournaments.

Postby Pink Ball

Lucky wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:My only problem with it is that it has ranking points. It'd be just as likely to pull in fans if it was a non-ranking tournament. It has its moments, as a novelty.

One tournament out of how many? Does it do any harm? Some random from the 90's wins a 'proper' ranker and the fans rejoice......someone wins this and it's regarded as a joke. Anyone can enter, anyone can win, same as the other tournaments.

It did a great deal of harm to David Gilbert's season last time out

Postby kolompar

It's not even that bad that it's ranking, it's just unfair that it offers more ranking points than proper snooker like the Paul Hunter Classic.

Postby Chalk McHugh

Noooooooooooooo. I cant believe it. Robbed was Fergie. 6-5.

Postby Lucky

Pink Ball wrote:Why did Wild put it in the junkyard away from the other ranking tournaments. A hairy pair of bullocks packaged as a ranking tournament is still a ranking tournament.Likey or no likey

Imho Wild was WAY out of order here. Making judgements about a particular aspect of a sport, is not the way to run a forum. He isn't a fan, fair enough don't watch. But he slapped his gums about changes to the UK but never misses a ball.....

Postby Lou147

Lucky wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Why did Wild put it in the junkyard away from the other ranking tournaments. A hairy pair of bullocks packaged as a ranking tournament is still a ranking tournament.Likey or no likey

Imho Wild was WAY out of order here. Making judgements about a particular aspect of a sport, is not the way to run a forum. He isn't a fan, fair enough don't watch. But he slapped his gums about changes to the UK but never misses a ball.....

Its not like hes making a point to someone either, cause its in a forum full of people who agree with him

Postby Iranu

Lucky wrote:
One tournament out of how many? Does it do any harm?

If Dan-Cat's experience above becomes commonplace, and if that gives Hearn an excuse to change the rest of the calendar to make it more similar to the Shoot Out then yes, it will do harm.

Of course that's hypothetical at this stage.

For my part, the worst aspect of this tournament is the crowd noise. It just doesn't fit and it messes with my head.

Postby Pink Ball

Iranu wrote:
Lucky wrote:

If Dan-Cat's experience above becomes commonplace, and if that gives Hearn an excuse to change the rest of the calendar to make it more similar to the Shoot Out then yes, it will do harm.

Edit
Last edited by Pink Ball on 10 Feb 2018, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Iranu

kolompar wrote:It's not even that bad that it's ranking, it's just unfair that it offers more ranking points than proper snooker like the Paul Hunter Classic.

It's an exhibition with ranking points. Any number of points is too many.

Postby Iranu

Is there a shot clock timer on the interviews as well?

Postby Lucky

Iranu wrote:
Lucky wrote:

For my part, the worst aspect of this tournament is the crowd noise. It just doesn't fit and it messes with my head.

If it makes people take up snooker then that's a negative?

Postby Lucky

New fans, ranking points, players taking part....which is the deciding factor?

Postby Pink Ball

Lucky wrote:New fans, ranking points, players taking part....which is the deciding factor?

I want it to pull in more fans that was always the idea behind it. But I think it would do that just as effectively if it was a non-ranking tournament.

Postby Lucky

Pink Ball wrote:
Lucky wrote:New fans, ranking points, players taking part....which is the deciding factor?

I want it to pull in more fans that was always the idea behind it. But I think it would do that just as effectively if it was a non-ranking tournament.

But getting players playing?

Postby SnookerFan

I don't understand that people think pointing out the fact that the Shootout has fans, can be fun or is a novelty event defends anything. Is anybody claiming otherwise?

The Shootout's existence isn't the problem. It's ranking points is the problem. Nothing else.

Strip it's ranking status, problem solved.

Postby Alex0paul

The ranking points adds to the mystical nature of the event.

Postby Pink Ball

Lucky wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

But getting players playing?

Well, the strength of the field is much weaker since they introduced ranking points.

Postby Pink Ball

SnookerFan wrote:I don't understand that people think pointing out the fact that the Shootout has fans, can be fun or is a novelty event defends anything. Is anybody claiming otherwise?

The Shootout's existence isn't the problem. It's ranking points is the problem. Nothing else.

Strip it's ranking status, problem solved.

I actually enjoyed it much more when it was a non-ranking event. It has its entertaining moments. And there is cash at stake, so it was never worthless.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Reminds of playing the game where you have ten balls and try to pot as many as you can in 40 seconds from Big Brake.

Postby SnookerFan

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:

Reminds of playing the game where you have ten balls and try to pot as many as you can in 40 seconds from Big Brake.

Was it a ranking event.

Postby Snooker89

Barry Hearn said last year that the tournament would be reviewed after this season. i think it should be scrapped and a real tounament taking its place. Something like the Irish Masters at Goffs.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Whilst many view this as a bletcherous tournament of no value, I would like to see it continue in it's current format. I can see the argument for removing it's ranking status but it does offer the lowest ranked players a once in a season opportunity to 'get out of jail'.