Post a reply

Re: World snooker publishes average shot time

Postby Wildey

Deewee wrote:They're not there anymore. Is there a reason for that too?

yup they were a load of rubbish <ok>

although that normally doesent stop World Snooker

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:

There wasn't much purpose for it to be fair. Even a casual snooker viewer will know who the slowest and fastest players are.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:

There wasn't much purpose for it to be fair. Even a casual snooker viewer will know who the slowest and fastest players are.

But is it something we needed to know?

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:

if they want to add that kind of stat then do pot %

Postby Andy Spark

SteveJJ wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:
SteveJJ wrote:Goes some way to exploding the oft quoted comment on here that Selby is particularly slow. Same average shot time as the likes of Maguire and Wilson and I can't remember the same people moaning about their slowness.

Yes, Selby isn't really a "slow player" in the normal sense, as these stats show. However, his tactical preferences, his (admittedly) brilliant safety game and his (admittedly) impressive ability to hold 100% concentration for very long periods of relatively uninspiring snooker often impact on frame duration.

I guess when people describe him as "slow" or "slowby" this is more what they refer to. Steve Davis would be in the same boat.

Good post.

So those who call Selby slow are more than likely meaning they don't like tactical play to the extent that Selby plays it and equate that with slow play when its technically not based on these stats.

Yes. I would not have said so before I saw these stats, but I believe that is the case now.

Postby Deewee

Dan-cat wrote:Selby doesn't play slow. But his matches usually take bucking ages.

He's ranked 48th also on the list of average frame time: http://top-snooker.com/srednyaya-prodol ... st-frejma/ 19:51, similar to Hawkins, Bingham, Wenbo, Carter. He's 15th out of the top 16, with McGill taking 22 minutes per frame. I guess Selby plays a lot of deciders and close matches which might impact how people see him. Obviously, among top players he's on the slower side.

Postby Andre147

kolompar wrote:Ronnie gets the number 1 spot while Dott breaks into the top 16 at 12th place.
Selby a respectable 48th.

Dott will be trying his hardest to be 2nd place just behind Ronnie.