Post a reply

SPOTY

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Given the shortlist for BBC Sports Personality of the Year (below), is Hearn right to be incensed that no snooker player has been listed?

The twelve athletes shortlisted this year are:

Elise Christie (Speed Skating), Mo Farah (Athletics), Chris Froome (Cycling), Lewis Hamilton (Formula 1), Anthony Joshua (Boxing), Harry Kane (Football), Johanna Konta (Tennis), Jonnie Peacock (Para-athletics), Adam Peaty (Swimming), Jonathan Rea (Motorcycling), Anya Shrubsole (Cricket), Bianca Walkden (Taekwondo)

Re: SPOTY

Postby Cloud Strife

Looks like a really snobbish and hipster shortlist. Also very politically correct, most bases seem to be covered, in that respect.

Half of these names I've never even heard of, and I'm someone who tends to watch a wide variety of sport.

Postby mick745

I don't care two hoots. Beeb have turned it into a glitzy Oscar type ceremony. Seems that they blow almost all their annual sports budget on it. Less self congratulation and more sport please.

Used to be okay when they could show actual sports highlights. Bet snooker gets no mention whatsoever even though it is one of the few sports they still show.

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:Looks like a really snobbish and hipster shortlist. Also very politically correct, most bases seem to be covered, in that respect.

That's what the SPOTY is, and always has been. It's the BBC Sports Christmas party, and literally nothing more.

Hearn could probably come up with any other issue in the world to worry about, and it'd be a more constructive use of hus time.

Postby Alex0paul

Why would he be? He's not World Champion or World Number 1

Postby SnookerFan

Alex0paul wrote:Why would he be? He's not World Champion or World Number 1

Good point.

A few outstanding months of form, but that probably came after they drew up the shortlist.

I think Hearn's 'outrage' was just an excuse to get himself on television.

Postby Cloud Strife

I've written a letter to the BBC informing them I do not wish to be nominated for the SPOTY this year. To their credit, it looks like they've listened. <ok>

Postby Holden Chinaski

He did break the record of winning the most Masters titles and equaled the record for most UK Titles and the record for most major titles, besides winning the English Open and Shanghai Masters.

Not a bad year I think.

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:

He did break the record of winning the most Masters titles and equaled the record for most UK Titles and the record for most major titles, besides winning the English Open and Shanghai Masters.

Not a bad year I think.

When do they draw up the shortlist?

The UK was achieved after this.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Winning the Masters for a record breaking seventh time alone would be enough to be nominated in my opinion.

Postby Cloud Strife

Holden Chinaski wrote:Winning the Masters for a record breaking seventh time alone would be enough to be nominated in my opinion.

I agree. That said, I don't think actual sporting achievement is part of the criteria when it comes to who does or doesn't get nominated for this particular award.

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Winning the Masters for a record breaking seventh time alone would be enough to be nominated in my opinion.

I agree. That said, I don't think actual sporting achievement is part of the criteria when it comes to who does or doesn't get nominated for this particular award.

It's the BBC Sport Department Christmas piss-up. Nothing more.

They invite their favourite sports people and hand an award. All black tie, lots of champagne.

Clive Woodward was bellyaching that there were no rugby players in it the other day. Another sport the BBC show.

Postby Pink Ball

Farah? Froome? I've just as much right to be there as those runts.

Typical BBC twiddle pandering to those two. Is Lance invited? May as well go the whole hog while they're at it.

Postby Iranu

Cloud Strife wrote:

It clearly is, since Andy Murray's won it three times and he doesn't really have a personality.

In fact, I think they should change the name to Sports Achievement of the Year because personality's obviously irrelevant. But, like most awards ceremonies, it's more political than anything else.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:I don't like Selby but at least he's genuine. As my wife says, one real idiot beats two plastic idiots.

Yeah, I think she's talking about something else.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:Farah? Froome? I've just as much right to be there as those runts.

Typical BBC twiddle pandering to those two. Is Lance invited? May as well go the whole hog while they're at it.

Give it John Higgins for his performances against Ronnie. <ok>

Postby Pink Ball

SnookerFan wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Farah? Froome? I've just as much right to be there as those runts.

Still a worthier winner than Froome or Farah

Postby Cloud Strife

Pink Ball wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Racist.

Postby Cloud Strife

I do agree with you though. The only way they could have made that list any more politically correct would have been to nominate a transgender candidate.

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Racist.

Report him.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

Can't believe Froome is still on that list. Then again if they have Mo Farah on it then why not.

A few years ago I read an article from 1992 where either Hearn or Ian Doyle was giving out about how the previous year Snooker only got about 25 seconds, less than Jeremy Bates the tennis player

Postby SnookerFan

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Can't believe Froome is still on that list. Then again if they have Mo Farah on it then why not.

A few years ago I read an article from 1992 where either Hearn or Ian Doyle was giving out about how the previous year Snooker only got about 25 seconds, less than Jeremy Bates the tennis player

Hearn just likes the sound of his own voice.