Post a reply

Re: peak Hendry vs peak Selby

Postby Pink Ball

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:According to some, Hendry didn't miss a pot between the years 1990 and 1995, whilst Selby hasn't played a bad safety shot since the old king died. An epic matchup for sure.

Just watched the last few frames of the Mercantile Classic final in 1992 between a prime Hendry and a slightly passed his prime Davis.
Hendry used to miss quite a few and some were very easy balls.
In the past few days I've watched many classic matches from the 90's.

I don't like Selbo, but I must say I've reconsidered my initial opinion on the matter. Selbo wins. Hendry simply doesn't have the all round game to compete with him.
And if we are assessing prime vs prime, I'd also say that the likes of Robertson and Ding also edge Hendry.
Hendry would have an even match with Trump.
Ronnie demolishes Hendry.

What a load of rubbish

Postby Johnny Bravo

Pink Ball wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:According to some, Hendry didn't miss a pot between the years 1990 and 1995, whilst Selby hasn't played a bad safety shot since the old king died. An epic matchup for sure.

Just watched the last few frames of the Mercantile Classic final in 1992 between a prime Hendry and a slightly passed his prime Davis.

I don't like Selbo, but I must say I've reconsidered my initial opinion on the matter. Selbo wins. Hendry simply doesn't have the all round game to compete with him.
And if we are assessing prime vs prime, I'd also say that the likes of Robertson and Ding also edge Hendry.

What a load of rubbish

Listen Pinkey, Hendry was a pioneer of the attacking game and a great breakbuilder, BUT: you have to get in order to score. I simply think Hendry wouldn't get enough chances to score due to being totally outclassed in the safety department.

Postby Andre147

But even Hendry competed with great safety players: Davis, Thorburn, McManus, Doherty.

And he more often than not won the most meetings by simply potting his way out of trouble from seemingly safe positions.

So safe to say Selby's safety game wouldn't be anough to put Hendry in trouble because he would pot most of them.

Postby Pink Ball

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

What a load of rubbish

Listen Pinkey, Hendry was a pioneer of the attacking game and a great breakbuilder, BUT: you have to get in order to score. I simply think Hendry wouldn't get enough chances to score due to being totally outclassed in the safety department.

Listen Johnny, lots of players were superior safety players to Hendry. Steve Davis was as good as anyone in the safety department, even well into his decline. Hendry still beat him most of the time. Same with everyone else.

By the way, peak Hendry did play peak O'Sullivan in 1999. Hendry wasn't destroyed. Actually, he won.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Pink Ball wrote:
By the way, peak Hendry did play peak O'Sullivan in 1999. Hendry wasn't destroyed. Actually, he won.

Ronnie was not at his peak in 1999. From a breakbuilding point of view, maybe. But he didn't quite have the all round game then. Not to mention the fact that he was a lot weaker from a mental point of view compared to nowadays.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Pink Ball wrote:Listen Johnny, lots of players were superior safety players to Hendry. Steve Davis was as good as anyone in the safety department, even well into his decline. Hendry still beat him most of the time. Same with everyone else

True, many were better safety players, but they lacked scoring power.
The likes of Robertson and Ding can outplay Hendry in the safety department and they have the scoring power to punish his mistakes.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:But even Hendry competed with great safety players: Davis, Thorburn, McManus, Doherty.

And he more often than not won the most meetings by simply potting his way out of trouble from seemingly safe positions.

So safe to say Selby's safety game wouldn't be anough to put Hendry in trouble because he would pot most of them.

Like McManus is in Selby's class.

I'd dispute Doherty, as well.

Postby SnookerFan

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Ronnie was not at his peak in 1999. From a breakbuilding point of view, maybe. But he didn't quite have the all round game then. Not to mention the fact that he was a lot weaker from a mental point of view compared to nowadays.

Simply out of curiousity, when do you consider Ronnie's peak?

I reckon about 2004-2006, maybe.

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Definately not 2006. Thats when his long game went AWOL.

It's definately between 2001-2005, won 2 World Titles, lots of others titles as well and destroyed most of his great rivals on a regular basis.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Andre147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Definately not 2006. Thats when his long game went AWOL.

It's definately between 2001-2005, won 2 World Titles, lots of others titles as well and destroyed most of his great rivals on a regular basis.

In terms of play, I agree. Ronnie was at his best back then.
Despite this fact, I think that a 2012-2-13 ROS would beat a 2001-2005 ROS simply because he is so much stronger mentally.

Postby sas6789

SnookerFan wrote:
Andre147 wrote:But even Hendry competed with great safety players: Davis, Thorburn, McManus, Doherty.

Like McManus is in Selby's class.

I'd dispute Doherty, as well.

Peak Doherty was easily in Selby's class he just had had to compete against peak Hendry, Higgins, O'Sullivan, Williams, Hunter and Stevens etc. Hell Selby can barley beat the Williams of today. If Selby had been in his prime against those players he wouldn't be a multiple world champion in fact i'm not 100% convinced he's have been a world champion at all.
Last edited by sas6789 on 01 Dec 2017, edited 3 times in total.

Postby sas6789

Johnny Bravo wrote:This would be quite an interesting match.
IMO many overrate Hendry's mental toughness. During the 1992-1996 era, he was the best and he knew that. IMO that's the reason he seemed to cope with pressure so good. To put this into perspective: I have a friend that I play every weekend. I give him a 3-0 lead and we play first to 7 frames. Even if he somehow manages to get in front I'm not worried. That's because I know that if I play my best, he can't win. The same happened to Hendry.

Now back on topic. I think everyone will agree that Hendry is miles ahead of Selbo when it comes to scoring power. So based on this stat, he should win quite comfortably. However, given the fact that Selbo is miles ahead of Hendry in terms of safety and tactical play, will Hendry get enough opportunities to score ???
IMO the answer to this question will determine the winner.

My 2 cents: Hendry wins 60% of the time.

You know absoulty f**k all about snooker, stick to netball son.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

sas6789 wrote:
IMO many overrate Hendry's mental toughness. During the 1992-1996 era, he was the best and he knew that. IMO that's the reason he seemed to cope with pressure so good. To put this into perspective: I have a friend that I play every weekend. I give him a 3-0 lead and we play first to 7 frames. Even if he somehow manages to get in front I'm not worried. That's because I know that if I play my best, he can't win. The same happened to Hendry.

Now back on topic. I think everyone will agree that Hendry is miles ahead of Selbo when it comes to scoring power. So based on this stat, he should win quite comfortably. However, given the fact that Selbo is miles ahead of Hendry in terms of safety and tactical play, will Hendry get enough opportunities to score ???

Selby would definitely beat Hendry at least 80% of the time.

Postby TheRocket

Difference between peak Hendry and peak O'Sullivan is that Hendry was mentally stronger and the better long potter while O'Sullivan is the better safety player. In terms of breakbuilding/scoring both are the greatest ever.

So in other words. With Hendry being mentally stronger than O'Sullivan I don't think that Selbys slow play/negative play would have affected Hendry as much as it did with Ronnie. And Hendrys long potting would compensate his disadvantage he has in terms of safety game against Selby. And Hendry being the superior breakbuilder to Selby will make all the difference in the end.

Peak Hendry > Peak Selby.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Stephen Hendry in his prime, in his absolute prime... would dominate in any era. He was too strong. Mentally he was the strongest ever. His long potting was out of this world. Break building was pure genius. And as much as people on here pretend he didn't have a safety game, he could play some great safety when he wanted to.

Peak Hendry would destroy peak Selby 80 percent of the time. That's why Hendry won seven world titles. If you doubt this, go watch some footage of Hendry in his prime. He was ten times better than Selby. Selby is a great player, a very great player. But peak Hendry, peak Higgins, peak O'Sullivan... They are just a lot better than everybody else.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Sorry, I thought we had moved on to netball.buck knows who would have won at snooker.

Petre Ebdon is the netball GOAT. Everybody knows that.

Postby Cloud Strife

Holden Chinaski wrote:Stephen Hendry in his prime, in his absolute prime... would dominate in any era. He was too strong. Mentally he was the strongest ever. His long potting was out of this world. Break building was pure genius. And as much as people on here pretend he didn't have a safety game, he could play some great safety when he wanted to.

What compete and utter nonsense lol.

I don't know how you've managed to sit there and post this claptrap with a straight face.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Cloud Strife wrote:Hendry would have dominated any era....apart from the ones that he didn't dominate haha.

Peak Hendry. Hendry in his prime.

Postby SnookerFan

sas6789 wrote:

Harsh.

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Sorry, I thought we had moved on to netball.buck knows who would have won at snooker.

Petre Ebdon is the netball GOAT. Everybody knows that.

He plays Wing Attack.

Postby Dan-cat

Cloud Strife wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:Stephen Hendry in his prime, in his absolute prime... would dominate in any era. He was too strong. Mentally he was the strongest ever. His long potting was out of this world. Break building was pure genius. And as much as people on here pretend he didn't have a safety game, he could play some great safety when he wanted to.

I don't know how you've managed to sit there and post this claptrap with a straight face.

I’m with Holden on this one. I was there during the 90s and Hendry was a break-building machine. It became monotomous watching him win. I randomly watched one frame of him recently and here’s the news. He played 3 brilliant safety shots. He got in and cleared up. His positional play was absolutely exquisite. Go and watch him Cloudy.

Postby Cloud Strife

I've watched Hendry on YouTube recently too and from what I saw the man was an invincible monster, utterly unbeatable, but that's the thing with YouTube - they only show the best bits lol. It's the deification of Hendry that annoys me more than anything. The man had his flaws just like anyone, but he was still the best player around which is what counts.

The issue I was taking with Holden was two parts really. The idea that Hendry could have dominated any era and that he could play great safety when he wanted to. Yeah okay.

Postby Pink Ball

Hendry was an awesome player. Was he up against much? Not really. Do I think the Hendry of 1988-1997 would have been World Champion in any era? Yes, a multiple world champion. Would he have been the best of any era he played? Not quite, because I don't think he was as good as Sullivan.

Brilliant breakbuilder and potter, bang average safety and tactical player.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Dan-cat wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

I’m with Holden on this one. I was there during the 90s and Hendry was a break-building machine. It became monotomous watching him win. I randomly watched one frame of him recently and here’s the news. He played 3 brilliant safety shots. He got in and cleared up. His positional play was absolutely exquisite. Go and watch him Cloudy.

I've seen Hendry play great safety shots lots of times. He chose to be an attacking player, that's the way he played...But he was not that bad in the safety department in my opinion. Peak hendry was a beast. Only Ronnie and John Higgins at their best are on the same level in my opinion. Ronnie at this best is even better, but Hendry was stronger mentally.

Postby Snooker-Fan2016

Johnny Bravo wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Johnny Bravo wrote:

What a load of rubbish

NOBODY destorys peak Hendry, O'Sullivan included

Postby Chalk McHugh

Interesting topic.I'd fancy Hendry to beat Selby all week long and twice on Sundays when he was in his prime.

Postby Sickpotter

Pink Ball wrote:Hendry was an awesome player. Was he up against much? Not really. Do I think the Hendry of 1988-1997 would have been World Champion in any era? Yes, a multiple world champion. Would he have been the best of any era he played? Not quite, because I don't think he was as good as Sullivan.

Brilliant breakbuilder and potter, bang average safety and tactical player.

You think Hendry wasn't up against much? rofl

Jimmy White, Steve Davis, Ronnie (first major in 92), Higgins (first major 94) and Williams were his competition in the 90s.....hard to see how you can consider that as "not being up against much". :shrug: