Post a reply

Re: peak Hendry vs peak Selby

Postby mick745

Definitely Hendry for me, I believe that Hendry is the best of all time, therefore stands to reason that the best of all time at their peak would beat all comers. Hendry was probably at his best between 92-96, destroying the second best player in the world White with a session to spare in 1993.

Not to say that Selby isn't hell of a player though.

Would loved to have seen the contest though in a world final.

Postby SnookerFan

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:A more interesting question would how Selby would have done in all those world finals against jimmy White.

He'd have kicked his bottom.

Postby TheRocket

SnookerFan wrote:
KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:A more interesting question would how Selby would have done in all those world finals against jimmy White.

Not quite sure about that. Would Selby have instilled fear into White like Hendry has done?

His style of play obviously would make it hard for White (similar to Davis) but I think White would have had more success against Selby than he had against Hendry. And I doubt he would have lost 4 world finals to him.

Postby SnookerFan

TheRocket wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Not quite sure about that. Would Selby have instilled fear into White like Hendry has done?

Yes.

Postby Pink Ball

TheRocket wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

His style of play obviously would make it hard for White (similar to Davis) but I think White would have had more success against Selby than he had against Hendry. And I doubt he would have lost 4 world finals to him.

People just don't get it, do they?

Easy, for, Selbo.

Postby Cloud Strife

TheRocket wrote:you're absolutely right. shameless on my part to even question that. Selbo is just out of this world.

Selby 18-0 Hendry

Postby vodkadiet

Pink Ball wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:What about 'Trough Hendry vs Trough Selby'?

Selbo 18-0

Or a 'Double Marcus' (Campbell).

Postby vodkadiet

Pink Ball wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Selbo 18-0

Inspired, Vodkadiet!

Cheers! Yes, Selby at his worst is light years ahead of Hendry at his worst.

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

Selbo 18-0

Inspired, Vodkadiet!

Cheers! Yes, Selby at his worst is light years ahead of Hendry at his worst.

On the other hand, Hendry at his best is light years ahead of Selby at his best.

Postby vodkadiet

Cheers! Yes, Selby at his worst is light years ahead of Hendry at his worst.[/quote]

On the other hand, Hendry at his best is light years ahead of Selby at his best.[/quote]

Hendry at his best isn't light years ahead of Selby at his best. He is better for sure, but not by a lot.

Postby Pink Ball

vodkadiet wrote:Hendry at his best isn't light years ahead of Selby at his best. He is better for sure, but not by a lot.

Still enough for four or five frames' daylight in a best of 35. And that's a compliment to Selby rather than an attempt to pour scorn on his abilities.

Postby TheSaviour

You should never assume anyone is struggling. That will only hurt yourself. So any great player need to have a game of himself or herself. Instead of assuming anyone is struggling and will just give it away.

So Hendry did a lot of things right. But still, these days, the frames are being solved during the first few strokes. Hendry did have that aspect too, the cue ball was straight away tightly behind the yellow or a green. Quite often. Something we won´t be seeing anymore.

If you really wan´t to see someone struggling pick some other sport but not snooker. Perhaps a curling or a weightlifting. The players won´t be seeing struggling at all because of the quality coaching.

There´s a bit of a cult following these days. And there´s a reason behind it. Selby is someone who will never do any daft things like Ronnie does. If he wins a trophy, that´s it then, absolutely nothing else in it. You won´t be seeing him driving a Ferrari as soon as he has won just something. Like something like Ken always did.

Even when the shot seems to be poor it necessarily won´t be that. Just trying to get some depth in terms of thinking things over. Instead of just going for it. Something I feel Selby also does better than anyone else, ever.

The fans just won´t be admitting Selby has already cracked the code. He doesn´t have to win every tournament and he can play while been injured. And yet and still he is a great player. The things which are being discussed over or wondering why do they act like they do are the things which are being already solved. There´s a lots of things which hasn´t been. No-one knows if those ever even will be, but staying tuned gives you that opportunity.

And by the way, we are back to the black again. That´s were the damage is being done during the first safety exchanges of the frames.

There´s a 20 or 25 modern players everyone are hailing. And to who they wan´t to give it all. That´s fine by me. They seem to be thinking they all can play like Selby. Fine by me. I would had never even getting involved if it would be some sort of a dictatorship. Where just a one player would receive almost all the credit. I am usually quite critical towards many even top-players, but I think that my long term predictions have been that much good that I can afford it.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Selby at his best doesn't even come close to Hendry at his best.

Hendry and Ronnie at their very best are lightyears ahead of everybody else. Only John Higgins at his best can compete.

Postby Andre147

Holden Chinaski wrote:Selby at his best doesn't even come close to Hendry at his best.

Hendry and Ronnie at their very best are lightyears ahead of everybody else. Only John Higgins at his best can compete.

Exactly.

The best way to show this is when Ronnie was at his best, he destroyed Selby, yet when Selby's at his best the matches againt Ronnie were still close ones.

Postby Johnny Bravo

This would be quite an interesting match.
IMO many overrate Hendry's mental toughness. During the 1992-1996 era, he was the best and he knew that. IMO that's the reason he seemed to cope with pressure so good. To put this into perspective: I have a friend that I play every weekend. I give him a 3-0 lead and we play first to 7 frames. Even if he somehow manages to get in front I'm not worried. That's because I know that if I play my best, he can't win. The same happened to Hendry.

Now back on topic. I think everyone will agree that Hendry is miles ahead of Selbo when it comes to scoring power. So based on this stat, he should win quite comfortably. However, given the fact that Selbo is miles ahead of Hendry in terms of safety and tactical play, will Hendry get enough opportunities to score ???
IMO the answer to this question will determine the winner.

My 2 cents: Hendry wins 60% of the time.

Postby Cloud Strife

According to some, Hendry didn't miss a pot between the years 1990 and 1995, whilst Selby hasn't played a bad safety shot since the old king died. An epic matchup for sure.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Cloud Strife wrote:According to some, Hendry didn't miss a pot between the years 1990 and 1995, whilst Selby hasn't played a bad safety shot since the old king died. An epic matchup for sure.

Just watched the last few frames of the Mercantile Classic final in 1992 between a prime Hendry and a slightly passed his prime Davis.
Hendry used to miss quite a few and some were very easy balls.
In the past few days I've watched many classic matches from the 90's.

I don't like Selbo, but I must say I've reconsidered my initial opinion on the matter. Selbo wins. Hendry simply doesn't have the all round game to compete with him.
And if we are assessing prime vs prime, I'd also say that the likes of Robertson and Ding also edge Hendry.
Hendry would have an even match with Trump.
Ronnie demolishes Hendry.