Post a reply

peak Hendry vs peak Selby

Postby TheRocket

Many Selbofans including the likes of Roland believe that Selbo at his best is an unbeatable machine and that he would even dominate and destroy peak Hendry .

What do you think? Let's say they'd play a semifinal or final at the World Championship. How would peak Hendry fare with Selby?

Re: peak Hendry vs peak Selby

Postby gallantrabbit

I think they'd have had tremendous battles. And the key factor was the bottle one. Selby not such a steamroller but the best match player ever. But both have magnificent bottle. Not that they're necessarily the best two players ever, but the match ups would be legendary.

Postby sas6789

TheRocket wrote:Many Selbofans including the likes of Roland believe that Selbo at his best is an unbeatable machine and that he would even dominate and destroy peak Hendry .

What do you think? Let's say they'd play a semifinal or final at the World Championship. How would peak Hendry fare with Selby?

Hendry would win more times than not, in his prime he was too mentally tough to let Selby's tough matchplay get to him as others have.

Postby Cloud Strife

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Impossible to tell.

By the end of Selby's career, he will likely have as good stats as Hendry

So you're saying Selby will have 7 world titles, 36 rankers etc etc?

Postby sas6789

<laugh> Selby won't get anywhere near 7 world titles or 36 rankers.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

sas6789 wrote:

<laugh> Selby won't get anywhere near 7 world titles or 36 rankers.

I have heard that sort of thing before - like he would never win the worlds etc.

I think he will.

:wave:

Postby gallantrabbit

I think Selby could win 7, but we are talking about an imaginary head to head here. Can't see many capable of beating him at Sheffield right now. But Hendry was supremely good and a serial winner. In his prime I'm not sure even Selby could have stopped him.

Postby vodkadiet

Henry wouldn't have been affected by Selby's style. He destroyed all opposition.

Postby SnookerFan

I think if they played 100 times, Hendry would have a superior h2h.

But I think even if they played their best in every match, Selby would win more games than you'd think.

He's found ways to beat Ronnie. Why not Hendry?

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:I think if they played 100 times, Hendry would have a superior h2h.

But I think even if they played their best in every match, Selby would win more games than you'd think.

I agree with this.

Hendry would win overall. I watched him again recently, I forgot how good he was, his positional play and fearless potting. A machine. I took it for granted when he dominated for years.

Postby sas6789

SnookerFan wrote:I think if they played 100 times, Hendry would have a superior h2h.

Hendry wouldn't let Selby get to him like he has Ronnie at times in the past. I agree he'd definitely win some matches against prime Hendry but he wouldn't have a winning record, no way.

Postby SnookerFan

sas6789 wrote:Hendry wouldn't let Selby get to him like he has Ronnie at times in the past. I agree he'd definitely win some matches against prime Hendry but he wouldn't have a winning record, no way.

I didn't say he would.

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

Hendry for me, and if there had been a peak Selby around at the time, hendrys safety would have been better.

Postby Sickpotter

Ronnie greatest weakness has always been on the mental side of things and that's was never the case with Hendry.

Hendry to win the H2H IMO winning upwards of 70%, he was simply to strong mentally and a devastating scorer.

Postby Alex0paul

vodkadiet wrote:Henry wouldn't have been affected by Selby's style. He destroyed all opposition.

Drew Henry wasn't that good