Post a reply

Favourite Defunct Tournament

Postby Alex0paul

What tournament no longer on the calendar was your favourite and why?

Re: Favourite Defunct Tournament

Postby Cloud Strife

About a month ago I would've said the Shanghai Masters, but thankfully World Snooker managed to pull their finger out.

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:About a month ago I would've said the Shanghai Masters, but thankfully World Snooker managed to pull their finger out.

Sounds like it's become generic though. :grrr:

Postby Alex0paul

SnookerFan wrote:
Ronnie79 wrote:Premier League because Ronnie would have won it about 15 times by now lol

:limp:

:goodpost: :limp2:

Postby Andre147

Pink Ball wrote:Irish Masters, no question

hands down the best one, especially the venue at Goffs that made the event so special.

Postby Dan-cat

Pink Ball wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

hands down the best one, especially the venue at Goffs that made the event so special.

Great venue. It was like the Masters without all the crappy hype and an even more select field.

Do you think that you might be.... biased?

<runs off to hide>

Postby Pink Ball

Dan-cat wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Great venue. It was like the Masters without all the crappy hype and an even more select field.

Do you think that you might be.... biased?

<runs off to hide>

No. The Irish Masters was never the same after it moved to Citywest, even when it was an invitational. Not that Citywest didn't do their best, it just wasn't Goffs and was never going to be.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:I miss the UK.

Now there was a tournament. I actually don't think of what's there now as the UK Championship

We basically had two Crucibles.

The Crucible and The Telford International Centre? rofl

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:I miss the UK.

Now there was a tournament. I actually don't think of what's there now as the UK Championship

We basically had two Crucibles.

The Crucible and The Telford International Centre? rofl

Stop it you're killing me Mr Roflcopter

Postby vodkadiet

The Yamaha Organs trophy. It was a round robin of 3 players in each group, playing best of 3 frames. If there was a tie in terms of wins and frames, the 3 players had to try and clear the colours until a victor emerged. I think it was last held in 1984. Steve Davis won the event, but the thing I remember most was Kirk Stevens not being far off of a 150 break. He broke down on 107 when he missed the penultimate red down the side rail.

A slightly fun event with different players emerging.