Post a reply

Willie Gets the Boot

Postby Deewee

Willie Thorne on twitter:
After over 30 years BBC have decided not to use me at the uk and the world champs I'm only at the Welsh thanks everyone for your support

I'd've rather seen Taylor and Virgo go before Thorne. Your thoughts?

Re: Willie Gets the Boot

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Deewee wrote:Willie Thorne on twitter:
After over 30 years BBC have decided not to use me at the uk and the world champs I'm only at the Welsh thanks everyone for your support

I'd've rather seen Taylor and Virgo go before Thorne. Your thoughts?

I actually think it is a bit of a shame as he does have a great knowledge of potential shot selection etc. Would have preferred TAYLOR to go.

Postby Cloud Strife

On the bright side, at least Willie will have more spare time now to spend in the bookies.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

I wonder if his swearing was a factor in his dismissal?

I think it is a bit strange when commentators of sport swear when they are off mic. If you are a commentator, then refrain from swearing until the mic has been removed. It is probably not that hard.

Personally, I think I have a lot to offer if the BBC are looking for a replacement. I wondered if any Islanders might look at the bullet points below before I put them together for my application:

I rarely gamble.
    I hate golf with a passion
    I was not involved in the 1985 WC final.
    I won't swear on air.
    I don't believe that reptiles run the world.
    I like thin cunts.
    I don't give a buck where the cueball is going.

Anyone like to offer any advice?

Postby SteveJJ

Isn't Thorne freelance rather than directly employed? Hence easier to get rid of?

Who will we hear more of in his place?

Postby SnookerFan

Apparently The Great WT has banned me on Twitter.

Oh well. He's an arrogant commentator,who thinks every player is inferior to him. He's no loss. To the BBC. Or my Twitter.

:bird:

Postby Badsnookerplayer

SnookerFan wrote:Just me who thinks he's weak then?

I am not a great fan of his as a person, but I think he does a pretty good job. Would be nice if they got big Clive back but can't see that happening.

Why has WT blocked you on Twitter?

Postby Cloud Strife

He can be annoying at times with his constant licking up to Selby and he's a proper sausage sometimes too when he's commentating on some lower ranked players and they don't play the shots that he himself would have played. For someone who achieved so little in the game (relatively speaking) he did sometimes come across as having an overinflated ego.

Postby Cloud Strife

Just had a quick look through Willie's twitter and he seems quite down about the whole situation.

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:

I am not a great fan of his as a person, but I think he does a pretty good job. Would be nice if they got big Clive back but can't see that happening.

Why has WT blocked you on Twitter?

No idea.

I must've slagged off BBC commentary at some point.

Postby SteveJJ

I don't think anyone would claim hes the greatest commentator but he's miles less annoying than Virgo or Taylor as the lead commentator. Which probably isn't saying much.

Postby SnookerFan

The campaign shouldn't be to reinstate Thorne.

The campaign should be to get the BBC to fire several other commentators also.

Why stop with Thorne?

Postby Iranu

I think "popular" may be pushing it - it's more that he's one of the least unpopular.

Postby Alex0paul

SnookerFan wrote::goodpost:

:goodpost:

Postby vodkadiet

WT is a great commentator, apart from his obsession with 147s!

And yet Dennis Taylor remains!

This is similar to the Brexit vote!

Morons making wrong decisions!

I guess WT should have continually made references to 'Golf' and he would have been given all four sessions of The World Final!

Postby Andy Spark

If he'd spent less time thinking about the next "great" bet and more time thinking about wise things to say concerning snooker, then I'd have sympathy.

Neal Foulds is bloody brilliant at commentating, because he really cares about it!

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Andy Spark wrote:If he'd spent less time thinking about the next "great" bet and more time thinking about wise things to say concerning snooker, then I'd have sympathy.

Neal Foulds is bloody brilliant at commentating, because he really cares about it!

Agree.

Foulds is excellent in my opinion. However, still think Thorne is better than Taylor. None of them seem to know as much about players as the average SI user.

Postby SnookerFan

I don't want to have a pop at Willie's gambling problems. That's an addiction.

But yeah. I won't miss him. Foulds is indeed better.

Postby Andre147

SteveJJ wrote:I don't think anyone would claim hes the greatest commentator but he's miles less annoying than Virgo or Taylor as the lead commentator. Which probably isn't saying much.

He isn't on the same level as a McManus, Foulds and certainly not Clive, but from the BBC bunch he's probably the best.

Taylor should have been sacked a long time ago, either him or Virgo. A pity Willie has to go.

Postby TheRocket

Thorne is a good commentator imo. Definitely one of the better ones. Especially for BBC standards and when he commentates alongside Hendry. They do a good job and really give knowledge to the viewers. They just talk about Snooker like it should be.

Taylor is by far the worst. And everyone who commentates alongside him, even the better ones like Thorne and Hendry start to talk rubbish. Taylor just drags everyone down to his level.