Post a reply

Re: Willie Gets the Boot

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:I think they want to replace the old commentators with youngsters like Griffiths and Ebdon in order to appeal to a younger audience.

rofl rofl rofl

That's kind of what happened with Everton. They fired him because they wanted to 'bring in youth'. Their youth was to use Davis and Doherty more. <doh>

Postby Spider Nugent

SnookerFan wrote:Who will they replace the losses with? More Ebdon? More Groffiths? Promote Dale from BBC Wales?

They won't bring back Clive.

There is no way they will bring Clive back. Groffiths has always been used sparingly because of his coaching. Dale did do a bit on the main channel but didn't last long so can't see him returning. They still have Taylor, Davis , Parrott, Ebdon, Hendry and Doherty. Not sure who can be 'lead' commentator apart from Dennis.

Postby Cloud Strife

Dan-cat wrote:Tezza, the Dai Lama, must be 85. Go on lad!

Terry Groffiths is a very good commentator, i agree.

Postby snooker_loopy

I reckon Dennis Taylor will be retired in a few years time. It makes sense to keep the game reasonably youthful so sticking with oldies makes no sense. Can't blame the BBC for wanting younger commentators. Thorne is 63, Virgo 71. They've had a good innings at commentary but life moves on.

Postby Alex0paul

Who is Terry Groffiths?

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

Listen to Dave hendons latest podcast. Clives on it and he stutters like buck now.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Ayrshirebhoy wrote:Listen to Dave hendons latest podcast. Clives on it and he stutters like buck now.

I've never heard these podcasts before - they are great! Just listening to the Kyren Wilson interview.
Thanks Ayrshirebhoy :hatoff:

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Ayrshirebhoy wrote:Listen to Dave hendons latest podcast. Clives on it and he stutters like buck now.

I've never heard these podcasts before - they are great! Just listening to the Kyren Wilson interview.
Thanks Ayrshirebhoy :hatoff:

Dave done a hendry interview last year. It’s a great listen!

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

SnookerFan wrote:For those of us who are thick and uncool? What's a podcast?

That’s the iPhone link but you can get them on any phone. Basically it’s a show or program that you can listen to on your phone. Dave has interviewed some cool peeps on it and Clive is a regular.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Ayrshirebhoy wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:For those of us who are thick and uncool? What's a podcast?

That’s the iPhone link but you can get them on any phone. Basically it’s a show or program that you can listen to on your phone. Dave has interviewed some cool peeps on it and Clive is a regular.

I just googled 'Dave Hendon Podcast' and am listening on my laptop.

Postby Deewee

You're on twitter and haven't heard of podcasts??? You are one of the blessed few.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Virgo was on the radio today promoting his new book.
It's called 'Goodnight JV'.
I find that a bit ominous and hope that he is OK.
We all might tire of Taylor, Thorne Virgo etc, but I think that they do deserve respect for their time as players and as commentators even if they are annoying at times.

Postby SnookerFan

Deewee wrote:You're on twitter and haven't heard of podcasts??? You are one of the blessed few.

I have. Don't really know anything about them.

Assumed they were recordings on the internet.

Postby Dan-cat

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Virgo was on the radio today promoting his new book.
We all might tire of Taylor, Thorne Virgo etc, but I think that they do deserve respect for their time as players and as commentators even if they are annoying at times.

Absolutely, they have helped spread the snooker gospel far and wide for many years.

Postby Spider Nugent

It is just from Big Break isn't it?..not suggesting he is coming to the end.

Postby The_Abbott

WHERE'S THE CUE BALL GOING. As the cue ball rests in the pocket. Nowhere JV. Nowhere.

Postby Dan-cat

Spider Nugent wrote:

It is just from Big Break isn't it?..not suggesting he is coming to the end.

Yes it was something Jim Davidson said at the end of every show

Postby eraserhead

Whose going to be the next generation of snooker commentators? Ebdon has already started, and Murphy probably won't start commentating until he starts sliding down the rankings.

Carter, Dott?
Last edited by eraserhead on 01 Nov 2017, edited 1 time in total.