Post a reply

Re: Willie Gets the Boot

Postby Iranu

TheRocket wrote:Thorne is a good commentator imo. Definitely one of the better ones. Especially for BBC standards and when he commentates alongside Hendry. They do a good job and really give knowledge to the viewers. They just talk about Snooker like it should be.

Taylor is by far the worst. And everyone who commentates alongside him, even the better ones like Thorne and Hendry start to talk rubbish. Taylor just drags everyone down to his level.

I love when Dennis and Hendry commentate together and Dennis spouts some absolute rubbish followed by a 10 second silence while Hendry ignores him like the senile, babbling old fool that he is.

I'd say Hendry is the best of the BBC lot with Willie second best.

Postby Andre147

Yes Hendry knows exaxtly what to do when Taylor starts his rubbish talk... ignore him!

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:Hendry's better when he's on ITV.

I've always thought this.

I said it first.

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:Hendry's better when he's on ITV.

I've always thought this.

I said it first.

I said it in 1973.

Postby SnookerEd25

I was born in '73. Willie looked like this.

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:Image

I was born in '73. Willie looked like this.

Where's that from? FamousSerialKillers.com ?

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

Deewee wrote:John Virgo also cut from the UK, just, for now

I guess with the swearing and complaining about the length of a match would put him top of the list if there’s a sacking needed.

Postby Holden Chinaski

And yet Dennis "Golf" Taylor keeps his job. He doesn't know any young players, doesn't watch any snooker, talks more about golf than anything else, misstakes snookerfans for famous retired snooker players and repeats the same jokes over and over again. <doh> He's a nice bloke, don't get me wrong, I like him as a person. But he's a terrible pundit.

Clive Everton was the best the BBC ever had. He had the knowledge, the passion, he was articulate... It's a disgrace he was sacked.

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

Holden Chinaski wrote:And yet Dennis "Golf" Taylor keeps his job. He doesn't know any young players, doesn't watch any snooker, talks more about golf than anything else, misstakes snookerfans for famous retired snooker players and repeats the same jokes over and over again. <doh> He's a nice bloke, don't get me wrong, I like him as a person. But he's a terrible pundit.

Clive Everton was the best the BBC ever had. He had the knowledge, the passion, he was articulate... It's a disgrace he was sacked.

Dennis says golf, jv says bucking. Could be that incident moved him to top of pay off list.

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:
Deewee wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Really?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-spo ... 422181.amp nice article, too

Sorry, have I misunderstood.

I thought you meant he wasn't commentating at the UK Championship.

That's an article about his gambling issues.

It says in that article Virgo won't be commentating on the UK.

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Deewee wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Really?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-spo ... 422181.amp nice article, too

Sorry, have I misunderstood.

I thought you meant he wasn't commentating at the UK Championship.

That's an article about his gambling issues.

It says in that article Virgo won't be commentating on the UK.

Oh okay.

Postby Andy Spark

Holden Chinaski wrote:And yet Dennis "Golf" Taylor keeps his job. He doesn't know any young players, doesn't watch any snooker, talks more about golf than anything else, misstakes snookerfans for famous retired snooker players and repeats the same jokes over and over again. <doh> He's a nice bloke, don't get me wrong, I like him as a person. But he's a terrible pundit.

Totally agree, the sacking of Clive Everton was a piece of Machiavellian politics that could grace the pages of a Charles Dickens novel!

Postby Dan-cat

Andy Spark wrote:

Totally agree, the sacking of Clive Everton was a piece of Machiavellian politics that could grace the pages of a Charles Dickens novel!

Absolutely. Everyone loved him, the viewers, his fellow commentators - he was the absolute best of the best. As Dennis Taylor said 'he was the best end-of-frame wrapper in the business.' David Vine wrote a piece in the Guardian about the whole affair saying 'Simply put, I prefer watching snooker when Clive is in the box.' He was able to bring incredible knowledge, gravitas, create an air of edge-of-seat drama and possessed a formidable and scintillating vocabulary. A proper broadcaster. And they sacked him because he has always been a thorn in the side of the snooker establishment and someone wanted him out. Read his side of the story in his brilliant book 'Black Farce and Cue Ball Wizards.' It's a fascinating read documenting the tumultuous boom of the 80s and the skulduggery behind the scenes. Buy it now. I insist. Support Clive in his dotage https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Farce-Cu ... 1780575688

Maybe we will get Clive back? This could be my next snooker related crusade.
Last edited by Dan-cat on 30 Oct 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Dan-cat

'Throughout its chequered history, snooker has had more than its fair share of heroes and villains, champions and chumps, rascals and rip-off artists. In the last 20 years, every sleazy scandal imaginable has attached itself to this raffish sport: corruption, match fixing, bribery, sex, recreational drugs, performance-enhancing drugs, ballot rigging, fraud, theft, domestic violence, common-or-garden violence, paranoid politicking, dirty tricks - all against a background of inept petty tsars fixated on the pursuit, retention and abuse of power.

In Black Farce and Cue Ball Wizards, Clive Everton recounts the glory and despair, the dreams and disillusion, and the treachery and greed that have characterised the game since it was invented as an innocent diversion by British Army officers in India in the nineteenth century. He tells the true and unexpurgated tale of snooker's transformation into a television success story second only to football and exposes how its potential has been shamefully squandered.'

Postby Holden Chinaski

Dan-cat wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:

Absolutely. Everyone loved him, the viewers, his fellow commentators - he was the absolute best of the best. As Dennis Taylor said 'he was the best end-of-frame wrapper in the business.' David Vine wrote a piece in the Guardian about the whole affair saying 'Simply put, I prefer watching snooker when Clive is in the box.' He was able to bring incredible knowledge, gravitas, create an air of edge-of-seat drama and possessed a formidable and scintillating vocabulary. A proper broadcaster. And they sacked him because he has always been a thorn in the side of the snooker establishment and someone wanted him out. Read his side of the story in his brilliant book 'Black Farce and Cue Ball Wizards.' It's a fascinating read documenting the tumultuous boom of the 80s and the skulduggery behind the scenes. Buy it now. I insist. Support Clive in his dotage https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Farce-Cu ... 1780575688

Maybe we will get Clive back? This could be my next snooker related crusade.

:clap:

Postby SnookerFan

Who will they replace the losses with? More Ebdon? More Groffiths? Promote Dale from BBC Wales?

They won't bring back Clive.