Post a reply

French Snooker

Postby Andy Spark

In the wake of Luca Brecel's brilliant maiden victory in a ranking event, I can't help but notice the lack of snooker enthusiasm in neighbouring France. I hope I am not missing something, but I would rank their interest in snooker below almost all other European countries. Is it because they don't want to speak English? If we made a few concessions to the language (not the full concession like Tennis!) would that help boost popularity of snooker in France? Should we care too much about French snooker?

Re: French Snooker

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Interesting article (albeit dated):

http://www.worldsnooker.com/snooker-in-france/

I don't know why but the 'latin' countries seem to be rubbish at snooker just like they are rubbish at decent music. Apparently with music, it is because their language is too soft and you need a good few hard sounds to make your point in decent music. These are not my thoughts but I read it somewhere once.

With snooker, the northern Europeans are better than the southern. This is a shame as it would be good to have a wider range of players and commentators.

'Ou est le cue-ball venir?'
'Il y a la belle Vicki sur le balcon'

'Je voulais regarder un peu de course cet après-midi. Je serai chanceux de regarder le bucking Match of the Day'

Postby Andy Spark

Well, I can't let that musical indictment of Latin countries go...I think you are talking of popular music and it may be the case with that; but as a classical piano enthusiast I adore Albeniz, Debussy, Granados, Ravel etc. In fact "Iberia" by Albeniz is a work of almost unbelievable, absolutely spell binding genius! But thanks badsnookerplayer for the link. Really interesting.

Postby SnookerFan

Andy Spark wrote:In the wake of Luca Brecel's brilliant maiden victory in a ranking event, I can't help but notice the lack of snooker enthusiasm in neighbouring France. I hope I am not missing something, but I would rank their interest in snooker below almost all other European countries. Is it because they don't want to speak English? If we made a few concessions to the language (not the full concession like Tennis!) would that help boost popularity of snooker in France? Should we care too much about French snooker?

Why did thinking about Luca Brecel make you realise that snooker isn't popular in France? Luca Brecel is Belgian.

Is it just because France and Belgium share a language? rofl

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Andy Spark wrote:Well, I can't let that musical indictment of Latin countries go...I think you are talking of popular music and it may be the case with that; but as a classical piano enthusiast I adore Albeniz, Debussy, Granados, Ravel etc. In fact "Iberia" by Albeniz is a work of almost unbelievable, absolutely spell binding genius! But thanks badsnookerplayer for the link. Really interesting.

Fair play - I was referring to 'rock/pop'.

Postby Andy Spark

kolompar wrote:http://www.worldsnooker.com/sacre-bleu-french-duo-reach-junior-final/
They are getting better but the other Southern Europeans usually don't even have players in the continental and world amateur events (except Malta :D )

I can see the French youngsters are doing a bit better than I thought.

Talking of Southern European cue sports, is it just me or are all the pool tables over there chucked into the street and doused liberally with beer before they put them into the hotels!

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Angélique Vialard is a French amateur snooker player. She reached the quarter finals at the 2006 IBSF World Championships in Amman, Jordan, where she was eliminated by Ramona Belmont 4–0