Post a reply

Re: Does Ken Doherty's recent form justify his wildcard?

Postby gallantrabbit

I think DT turns up at the odd legends event but he wouldn't want to embarrass himself, nor would JP. Their lives are more than comfortable. I just think true legends of the game, ie world champions and Jimmy shouldn't be forced out. Let the wild cards roll. They're not taking the place of anyone, it's an extra spot really.
I understand the references to BH's mediocrity comments, but the difference is the newby lower rankers have never done it. The legends like Ken and Jimmy have.

Postby Wildey

Absolutely nothing NEVER EVER justifies this sort of rubbish.

Id be too embarrassed to accept this sort of way to continue playing doesent show much self respect in my book.

Postby Wildey

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Wildey wrote:Absolutely nothing NEVER EVER justifies this sort of rubbish.

Id be too embarrassed to accept this sort of way to continue playing doesent show much self respect in my book.

Are you referring to all wildcards or Ken in particular?

i can see some point is giving wild cards to players in india open or other such events dont see anybworthwhile point giving wild cards to has beens to continue playing.

Dont see any point in wild card for has been's just because they used to win things move on not harp about the past.

if Ken wanted to continue playing go to Q School it would show more class than receiving hand outs from a sugar daddy.

Postby SnookerFan

Talking of Wildcards in foreign events, what is happening with the Chinese events now?

Being that Hearn threw his toys out of his pram, and cancelled the Shanghai Masters due to format disagreements, are they all just going to be flat 128 now?

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:I take your point Wildey, but the system of wild cards means that I have added interest to see Ken etc against new pro's. Out of interest, why has Hendry not been offered one ( or have I missed that)

Hendry retired voluntarily, not because he dropped off the tour. There was no real need for him to have one. He retired because he didn't want to play to what he considered a lesser standard.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

SnookerFan wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:I take your point Wildey, but the system of wild cards means that I have added interest to see Ken etc against new pro's. Out of interest, why has Hendry not been offered one ( or have I missed that)

Hendry retired voluntarily, not because he dropped off the tour. There was no real need for him to have one. He retired because he didn't want to play to what he considered a lesser standard.

I get the feeling he would take a wildcard now though - no?

Postby eraserhead

I don't think it does because if the person in charge goes on about brutality and level playing fields then the person who loses out to someone whose been given special circumstances will feel aggrieved. Ken is arguably playing with less pressure than some of the people he's facing?

There should be a criteria for wild cards former World, UK, Masters champs or whatever or it should be based on merit.

Postby Wildey

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

I get the feeling he would take a wildcard now though - no?

he had one for 2 seasons did not play anything

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:

yea he retired as World no 21 and a WC Quarter finalist with John Higgins as his last professorial Scalp why would he want to come back

Postby Wildey

Badsnookerplayer wrote:I thought because he entered the Seniors and didn't he indicate that if he won it he would take up the option of competing for a tour ticket

only if he preforms to century standard every frame he would consider a comeback.

he wants to win not make up the numbers.

Postby SnookerFan

I would be surprised if Hendry returned to play in anything other than Snooker Legends events now.

It struck me that his passion was for winning rather than playing. He would hate to turn up and play if he wasn't playing to an incredibly high standard.

Also, just based on how many photos he posts on Twitter of fancy restaurants, he seems to be enjoying retirement too much.