Post a reply

Another Big Decision. (That nobody else will care about.)

Postby SnookerFan

I'm going to finals weekend of the English Open this year. Travelling up on Friday 20th October, travelling back Monday the 23rd October.

On Tuesday 24th October, Snooker Legends are playing a tournament in Redhill. Easy for me to get to. A bus ride away, or a quick one-stop trip on the train.

Do I book extra time off, so the day after I get back from Manchester, I commute to watch Hendry, Dennis Taylor, Ken Doherty and other such over-the-hill BBC commentators play each other.

Discuss.

Re: Another Big Decision. (That nobody else will care about.

Postby TheSaviour

Dear Diary

So we are going then. Theresa has a few months to get it all sorted that we will have a safe journey.. I still found it as a rather hostile environment towards any new innovations.. About to travel around.

The trouble is they neva eva see absolutely no room to any new innovations anymore.. Which is a relatively hilarious concept, to say at least.. rofl

A serious issue. But a harmless joking never does any harm. But that´s the way it actually very well can be; she has a few, not months, but weeks, to get things sorted and find some PEACE. Otherwise it already can be too late. That´s how fast things are moving when there is a right system. Or something like that.
Last edited by TheSaviour on 13 Jun 2017, edited 2 times in total.

Postby SnookerFan

TheSaviour wrote:Dear Diary

So we are going then. Theresa has a few months to get it all sorted that we will have a safe journey.. I still found it a rather hostile environment to have a any new innovations.. About to travel around.

The trouble is they neva eva see absolutely no room to any new innovations anymore.. Which is a relatively hilarious concept, to say at least.. rofl

A serious issue. But a harmless joking never does any harm. But that´s the way it actually very well can be; she has a few, not months, but weeks, to get things sorted and find some PEACE. Otherwise it already can be too late. That´s how fast things are moving when there is a right CONCEPT.

Good advice. <ok>

Postby Dan-cat

So we are going then. Theresa has a few months to get it all sorted that we will have a safe journey.. I still found it as a rather hostile environment towards any new innovations.. About to travel around.

A serious issue. But a harmless joking never does any harm. But that´s the way it actually very well can be; she has a few, not months, but weeks, to get things sorted and find some PEACE. Otherwise it already can be too late. That´s how fast things are moving when there is a right system. Or something like that.

At least your spam usually starts with some relevance to the thread, before trailing off into Spike Milligan-esque nonsense. This, however, is a whole new level of spam.

Which reminds me of what Spike Milligan has on his gravestone: 'I told you I was ill'

Trolololololz

Postby The_Abbott

obviously the spam picked up the words Big Decision and thought we were having a debate about politics. I guess Hearn has taken a Corbyn approach by giving players free access into the tournaments now. The spectators will pay the fees with higher seat prices I suspect :shrug:

Postby SnookerFan

The problem I have with the Seniors tour is, it seems to think of itself more as proper snooker than it actually is. I don't mind exhibition matches. Once a player retires or is near retirement, playing exhibition can be a fun night out if there's one by you. I enjoyed the Hendry vs Davis one I saw. And the Jimmy White vs Alex Higgins one. Even the Snooker Legends, several players turn up to play the odd frame, and joke with the fans was fairly enjoyable.

But that was what was always missing from the Snooker Seniors World Championship. Not enough banter, too much emphasis on the old men trying for serious play. It was okay, but the sense of fun that Snooker Legends had previously had wasn't there.

Somehow, this "tour" going round the country and World Snooker letting the winner enter Crucible qualifying feels a bit sad. Feels like people trying to relive glory days. No the joke filled exhibition events of old. Even the Ronnie and Judd exhibition felt a bit odd. Like they were trying to cash in on two of the game's most popular names.

Maybe just me. But I can see where Wild comes from. It seems the people who have organised this mistake it for proper snooker.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Top prize is £10k, probably more this year. That's sweet chunk of money. So I would argue that it is a serious competition. There's no prize money for exhibitions, they just get a fee.

Fair point.

I guess what I'm driving at is, if I'm watching people who are long past their prime, I'd rather it be a bit of a laugh, bit of banter. Involve the crowd a bit, you know. Maybe try some shots they wouldn't have done had it been a competitive match. I'd want it to be a night of entertainment, not an attempt at being world class at something they retired from 20 years ago.

The fun is gone when you create a real competition out of it. If I want to watch proper snooker, I'll watch the well, proper snooker. Snooker Legends used to be a night out, joined by the ex-players. Now Snooker Seniors feels too, well, serious.