Post a reply

Is it time for British players to get wildcards?

Postby mick745

Lots of young Chinese players are breaking through on tour. Not many British players are.

Chinese players are routinely offered wildcard places at Chinese events giving them lots of experience prior to turning professional.

With the Home Nation event series this is a great opportunity for British wildcard places to be offered.

Say the national champion, national U21 champion and national U18 champion of each of the four nations be offered wildcards at the respective home nation event?

Your thoughts?

Re: Is it time for British players to get wildcards?

Postby Wildey

mick745 wrote:Lots of young Chinese players are breaking through on tour. Not many British players are.

Chinese players are routinely offered wildcard places at Chinese events giving them lots of experience prior to turning professional.

With the Home Nation event series this is a great opportunity for British wildcard places to be offered.

Say the national champion, national U21 champion and national U18 champion of each of the four nations be offered wildcards at the respective home nation event?

Your thoughts?

no scrap them

Postby TheSaviour

Someone has changhed.... A good one! But just someone.. Not them all.

So much flair in there! And Reanne keeps up playing her very best..

Postby SnookerFan

kolompar wrote:Wouldn't the point of wildcards be to have some players from the country the tournament's in? China and the UK are the countries which wouldn't need the wildcards.

Yeah.

Certainly the need for Chinese wildcards has long gone.

Postby mick745

Looking at the updated Riga Masters draw there are still two spaces in the draw marked as 'Wildcard 1 & Wildcard 2'. I wonder who will fill those?

Plenty of 'top ups' in the draw also, here are some:

William Lemons v Alan McManus
Gary Wilson v Hu Hao
Charlie Walters v Dave Gilbert
James Silverwood v Jackson Page
David Grace v Ashley Carty

Postby fridge46

mick745 wrote:Looking at the updated Riga Masters draw there are still two spaces in the draw marked as 'Wildcard 1 & Wildcard 2'. I wonder who will fill those?

One will surely go to a Latvian!

The other will go to the winner of the European Snooker Open Championship:

http://www.ebsa.tv/european-snooker-open/

Entry List: http://esnooker.pl/turnieje/2017/meo/en ... layers.php

Postby Dan-cat

fridge46 wrote:
mick745 wrote:Looking at the updated Riga Masters draw there are still two spaces in the draw marked as 'Wildcard 1 & Wildcard 2'. I wonder who will fill those?

One will surely go to a Latvian!

The other will go to the winner of the European Snooker Open Championship:

http://www.ebsa.tv/european-snooker-open/

Entry List: http://esnooker.pl/turnieje/2017/meo/en ... layers.php

I love Latvians.

Postby TheSaviour

It is quite unlikely that anyone gets a wildcard. The so called ordinary people tends to play it safe. There never been too much problematic discussions going on. Just various options of more safer discussions. So it is a much more question of where do you point your attention at. Regarding if you think if something is fair or not. You must be crazy if thinking that something really unusual can get through. There are always just various safety options going on. There is always a strong back-up for everything.

I could think some player called Bond could get it without much deserving it ha haa. There could be so tasty headlines.. But Nigel is there already.. Nigel actually did play a few very good matches. Bond outgrinding and out-toughing his opponents. Yes, that's what it takes there to get something going on.. And even those famous century-records did got a hit..

Postby TheSaviour

I feel the most valuable player could be someone who is not claiming that the best and the optimal weather is always there where he or she currently is, or is hailing from. And is not afraid of travelling around the globe to play the tournaments. Because that´s what it takes; to be ready to get rid of too the narcissist characteristics.

I feel the most valuable player could be someone who is not always claiming that it is the end of that or a that nation.

I feel the most valuable player could be someone who can see how unique life actually is, and so on is ready to make it happen and to execute when the situation arrives.

Let´s face it; the future is always the yesterday. That´s something what is almost impossible to get rid of. So any great player needs to have some anticipation skills, and that´s obviously something which is always going to be used of to take the advantage.

According to some very reliable reports, many really talented players outside the tour are still going strong and people are ready to pay some money in order to get a chance to see them to play some snooker. So a mental strength is just a one element, it´s not everything, or the end of the world if some player don´t quite have that much. So according to those reports, it is a case that those players are their own worst enemies. And are disappointed if it is not happening. But it is always just a case of a player is his or her own worst enemy.

But It look it is finally getting sorted. Which was always on the cards. Players just can´t afford to play with Confederate money anymore. The vast amount of a really great players particularly in England have starting to take its toll. I think even my looks have begin to change because of it lol.