Post a reply

Player's nationalities

Postby SnookerFan

Serious question.

When watching snooker, how much importance do you place on a player's nationality? When it comes to supporting them?

I ask, because reading this thread, people expressed surprise that many in The Crucible crowd were rooting for Ding.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=7234

When it comes to whether I like a player or not, I never consider their nationality. Partly though because snooker has always been a traditionally British played sport. Even the 'Chinese invasion' hasn't watered down the fact there's plenty of British and Irish players in the game.

I can understand fans getting behind a British player in a more international sports, where Brits may be a minority. Snooker doesn't have that.

I wanted Ding to win the World Championship because he has never won it before. Not because he happened to play Selby in one round. I've always quite liked Neil Robertson too, despite being English myself.

In snooker, do other people on this site take nationality into account when deciding who to root for? If not, why was it such a surprise some English people might sport Ding?

Legitimate question, from somebody who wanted Ding to win the tournament.

Re: Player's nationalities

Postby Badsnookerplayer

I agree-nationality is not important. Whether or not I like watching them play is all that matters, perhaps with a bit of bias towards the underdog.

Unless the person is a complete waste of space then personality does not come into it either.

Postby PoolBoy

I don't bother with nationalities much at all - as it's an individual sport - rather than a team one.
Like Hendry_fan, I'm Scottish, but I don't get my knickers-in-a-twist when Scottish players lose! <laugh>

I must admit, though, I do like to see players from 'non-traditional' snooker countries doing well.

For example, I'd like to see Poland's Adam Stefanow qualify from Q-School.

Postby SnookerEd25

I don't place too much importance on it, though as I am of Welsh descent I did find it disappointing that only 1 Welshman qualified for the Crucible this year, and he exited at the first hurdle so no Welsh representation at the L16 stage for, probably, the first time ever.

I, too, like to see new countries represented, so Hossein Vafaei is a breath of fresh air, and hopefully Q-school will provide one or two more.

Also troubling, given their strength in the 80s, is the lack of Canadian & Australian pros on the tour, only 1 beween them if i'm not mistaken.

Postby The Herminator

I've never cared but that may be because the sport has been dominated by British players so it hasn't mattered that much. A big personality or great player can always overcome any nationalistic divide anyway I think. If snooker ever made it in to the Olympics though it would be different (although of course that will never happen).

Postby SnookerFan

PoolBoy wrote:
For example, I'd like to see Poland's Adam Stefanow qualify from Q-School.

Yes, I think that was what Ding had originally. He was the first, and is the oldest, of the Chinese lads that play. So when he first broke on the scene, it was nice to see somebody from another country do well. It was a bit of a novelty. Obviously, that's less the case now.

It's nice to see stuff like that happen though. I was kind of rooting for Alexander Ursenbacher to qualify for The Crucible, being Swiss.

So in a way nationality comes into it at times, but not in the way that you'd automatically root for your own.

Postby PoolBoy

SnookerEd25 wrote:I don't place too much importance on it, though as I am of Welsh descent I did find it disappointing that only 1 Welshman qualified for the Crucible this year, and he exited at the first hurdle so no Welsh representation at the L16 stage for, probably, the first time ever.

I, too, like to see new countries represented, so Hossein Vafaei is a breath of fresh air, and hopefully Q-school will provide one or two more.

Also troubling, given their strength in the 80s, is the lack of Canadian & Australian pros on the tour, only 1 beween them if i'm not mistaken.

I remember when Canada had a good number of players - they actually won the 'Snooker World Cup' twice!
And it wasn't even with the same players (apart from Thorburn!) They were also runners-up THREE times!!

1982 winners: Cliff Thorburn, Kirk Stevens, Bill Werbeniuk
(beat England - Steve Davis, Tony Knowles & Jimmy White)

1990 winners: Cliff Thorburn, Alain Robidoux, Bob Chaperon
(beat Northern Ireland - Dennis Taylor, Tommy Murphy & Alex Higgins)

There's a World Cup this coming season - but, I doubt Canada could even get a team - certainly not a competitive one. :-(

Postby SnookerFan

Not really a big fan of The World Cup, if I'm honest.

I gave it a try, but snooker just isn't a team sport for me.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:Not really a big fan of The World Cup, if I'm honest.

I gave it a try, but snooker just isn't a team sport for me.

Ha ha, i used to love the old State Express World Team Classic back in the 80s. It was different, but didn't resort to gimmicks like shot-clocks, less reds, timed frames or miked up players.

Used to love the Hofmeister World Doubles too...

Postby gcjdavid

As a person of Chinese descent I certainly root for Ding. However, I only root for him during the world championships, because he has not won it before.

Other than that, I support players who play well and are reasonably fast.

Postby Iranu

It's not important at all.

If you're from a relatively 'young' snooker country (e.g Belgium with Luca), or one that has never had a vast number of professionals, I can understand having pride in a countryman getting to the top of the sport.

If someone from my city became a top player I probably would support them more on that basis, though.

Postby The_Abbott

I don't think it matters. Certainly when I was young I just wanted someone other than Steve Davis to win!! Then anyone other than Stephen Hendry to win!!

Its not really England V's China or whatever because the players are individuals and all have different personalities that people will like/dislike.