Post a reply

Who do you rate as the greater player?

Mark Williams
6
32%
Mark Selby
13
68%
 
Total votes : 19

Re: Who is greater? Williams or Selby

Postby kolompar

How can you have Selby as greater? He won most of his titles in 3 years in a very weak era. Remember when he was just a 2 time ranking event winner, because there was competition? He's just a better version of Stuart Bingham.

Re: Who is greater? Williams or Selby

Postby SnookerFan

kolompar wrote:How can you have Selby as greater? He won most of his titles in 3 years in a very weak era. Remember when he was just a 2 time ranking event winner, because there was competition? He's jdust a better version of Stuart Bingham.


Selby beat Ronnie, Ding and Higgins in his three Crucible final wins. Which one of those opponents do you consider to be weak?

Re: Who is greater? Williams or Selby

Postby Cloud Strife

Williams at his peak, is easily the better player, but it's getting to the stage where it can be reasonably argued that Selby has had the better career.

Re: Who is greater? Williams or Selby

Postby sas6789

kolompar wrote:All of them? Ding is mentally weak. Higgins way past his best, Ronnie too probably, and both choked and threw big leads.

Ronnie was looking more dominant than ever in the 2014 final, he won the last 2 world titles in row and blew away his opposition on the way to that final (aside from Perry in the second round) and there was a lot of talk about him breaking Hendry's world title record. As for Ding he's won everything bar the WC so he can't be that mentally weak and something to note is he has literally hundreds of millions of people watching his every move.

Re: Who is greater? Williams or Selby

Postby Badsnookerplayer

sas6789 wrote:
kolompar wrote:All of them? Ding is mentally weak. Higgins way past his best, Ronnie too probably, and both choked and threw big leads.

Ronnie was looking more dominant than ever in the 2014 final, he won the last 2 world titles in row and blew away his opposition on the way to that final (aside from Perry in the second round) and there was a lot of talk about him breaking Hendry's world title record. As for Ding he's won everything bar the WC so he can't be that mentally weak and something to note is he has literally hundreds of millions of people watching his every move.

So, WILLIAMS or Shelby??

Re: Who is greater? Williams or Selby

Postby Wildey

you can't argue against Selby now he's won more World titles and played in more world finals.

Re: Who is greater? Williams or Selby

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:you can't argue against Selby now he's won more World titles and played in more world finals.


I'm beginning to edge towards Selby, for those reasons.

I had originally said Williams, just based on the fact his ranking event total is larger.

Re: Who is greater? Williams or Selby

Postby Dan-cat

Peak Williams - for those couple of years - he once won all 3 triple crown events in one season - was better than Selby will ever be. However... Selby is overtaking him on the all time list there's little doubt in my opinion