Post a reply

Could Mark Selby Have Won A World Title From 1997-2005?

Yes
69%
No
31%

Total votes : 32

Re: Could Mark Selby Have Won A World Title From 1997-2005?

Postby Truth

The fact that 35% of people didn't believe Selby of 2017 could even win one title against Ebdon, Doherty or Murphy in the arbitrarily chosen period between 97-05 shows that many were voting with their hearts rather than their heads. If there were people that genuinely thought this then I wouldn't want to meet them without their straitjacket.

Postby TheRocket

Truth wrote:The fact that 35% of people didn't believe Selby of 2017 could even win one title against Ebdon, Doherty or Murphy in the arbitrarily chosen period between 97-05 shows that many were voting with their hearts rather than their heads. If there were people that genuinely thought this then I wouldn't want to meet them without their straitjacket.

I'm sure the 2017 Selby would have won a World title but I would still like to remind you that Ebdon or Doherty were not some mugs or fodder. In fact very tough to beat at the Crucible with impressive Crucible records. Hendry ,ROS, Higgins and Williams will confirm that.

Postby Juddernaut88

TheRocket wrote:
Truth wrote:The fact that 35% of people didn't believe Selby of 2017 could even win one title against Ebdon, Doherty or Murphy in the arbitrarily chosen period between 97-05 shows that many were voting with their hearts rather than their heads. If there were people that genuinely thought this then I wouldn't want to meet them without their straitjacket.

I'm sure the 2017 Selby would have won a World title but I would still like to remind you that Ebdon or Doherty were not some mugs or fodder. In fact very tough to beat at the Crucible with impressive Crucible records. Hendry ,ROS, Higgins and Williams will confirm that.

:goodpost:

Postby Truth

TheRocket wrote:

You don't need to remind me, I've been watching snooker long before 97. I agree with you that Ebdon, Doherty and Murphy were no mugs, and I don't consider it a formality that Selby would consistently beat them all. Similarly I don't consider it a formality that Hendry, ROS, Higgins and Williams would consistently beat Selby. I'm sure that if prime Selby were around in the 97-05 period then he'd have been amongst the favourites to win any tournament he entered.

Postby Pink Ball

Yes, Selby could have won a world title in that period as he is a better player than Doherty, Ebdon and Murphy. I think he'd have struggled to win multiple titles in that time as only Mark Williams and Ronnie O'Sullivan won multiple titles in that time.

Anything else you want me to help you all out with?

Postby HappyCamper

Pink Ball wrote:Yes, Selby could have won a world title in that period as he is a better player than Doherty, Ebdon and Murphy. I think he'd have struggled to win multiple titles in that time as only Mark Williams and Ronnie O'Sullivan won multiple titles in that time.

Anything else you want me to help you all out with?

i'm out of eggs. can you get me some? free range naturally.

Postby Pink Ball

Truth wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Anything else you want me to help you all out with?

How many inches wider are the pockets of today compared with the Neolithic period?

Don't think the pockets are any wider, actually, but they've certainly been playing far easier at most World Championship since 2009.

Postby Truth

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Looking at Selby's record during that period I notice he lost 9-0 to Mark Williams at the 1999 UK Championship and followed that with a 5-0 loss to Stuart Bingham.

He also lost 5-0 to Steve Davis in the 2000 China Open. So I think we can safely conclude that a 13 year old Selby would not have presented much threat to Davis at the 97 Masters.

Postby Andre147

Simply answering the question of the thread, with his A game he had a definate chance to win the world title back then, but lots of great players in their prime waiting so his test would be as hard as ever.

Postby CaldoTheKid

Cloud Strife wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:He certainly wouldn't have won the title in 1993. Hendry was awesome that year.

Probably the best performance I've seen over the course of an entire championship.

Pink Ball

The funny thing about the culmination of that year's event was that Hendry hadn't played White all season. The last time he had played him just a week after beating him in the 1992 final, when he beat him 9-0 in The Matchroom League Final.

At the end of 1993 final, Hendry had therefore won 37 of the last 42 frames he had played against White.

This stat is made all the more remarkable when you consider that White was absolutely flying in practice at the time.

Not quite White in his autobiography he had hadn't had proper practise for a good while because he had broken up with his wife and so was drinking and snorting coke more than ever.

Postby chengdufan

CaldoTheKid wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:This stat is made all the more remarkable when you consider that White was absolutely flying in practice at the time.

Not quite White in his autobiography he had hadn't had proper practise for a good while because he had broken up with his wife and so was drinking and snorting coke more than ever.

You need to take that back, young fella.
Suggesting on the island that there may have been a time when Jimmy was not flying in practice is a bannable offence.

Jimmy is and always was flying in practice.