Post a reply

Could Mark Selby Have Won A World Title From 1997-2005?

Yes
15
68%
No
7
32%
 
Total votes : 22

Re: Could Mark Selby Have Won A World Title From 1997-2005?

Postby roy142857

So difficult to say isn't it?

Having thought about it, he'd need a strength the best players then didn't have, and I think he does although not one anyone makes much fuss about - his ability to (more often than other players) leave the cue ball safe when taking on a long pot (so less opportunities for opponents to 'get in').

As impressive in its way as Ronnie's cue ball control when break building, which I've always thought stunning.

Re: Could Mark Selby Have Won A World Title From 1997-2005?

Postby Cloud Strife

I voted yes.

I think his best chances would have been 1997, 2002 and 2005. Even then it would have been very tough for him.

I could certainly see him doing to Hendry what Doherty did. As for beating Doherty himself, that would have been a 60/40 match for me with the edge going to Doherty. Ken in his prime was a fantastic scorer and could mix it with the best tactically. Selby's stalling antics would not have worked on Ken.

2002 would have been his best chance IMO. I could see him showing up Hendry's lack of (or refusal to use?) a proper safety game. Hendry was still very good at this time, mind you, so not a foregone conclusion. As for Ebdon, people forget what a good player he was in his pomp. It would have been the master against the apprentice in the grinding stakes.

2005 he probably would have beaten a fading and mentally weak Stevens. Not sure about Murphy though. Shaun probably played the best snooker of his life these 17 days and potted the likes of Higgins and Ebdon off the table during the course of the tournament. He was young, he was exuberant and he was potting them off lampshades regardless of where the cueball was. Murphy favourite for me over Selby in that one.

This is all hypothetical off course, but still an interesting question nonetheless.

Re: Could Mark Selby Have Won A World Title From 1997-2005?

Postby Cheshire Cat

He could, most definitely! However, I don't see anything like 2016 happening in that era.

There is no way (IMO) that Selbs (or anyone for that matter) plays that poorly across 2 weeks and /doesn't/ get beaten in that era. That he reached the final that year playing as poorly as he did is both a testament to his sheer desire to win, and also a condemnation of the so-called 'higher standard' these days.

Re: Could Mark Selby Have Won A World Title From 1997-2005?

Postby PoolBoy

He would have simply, 'adapted' to the different era...and still won. He really is THAT good.

If YOU had the chance to win TEN MILLION QUID on the outcome of one frame of snooker...picking your player - to beat, say, Mark Davis.

Ronnie fans - stop, and think about it - would you really pick Ronnie in that scenario, a once-off opportunity that would change your life?

Sorry, but it's Selby for me - all-day-long!!!

Re: Could Mark Selby Have Won A World Title From 1997-2005?

Postby Cloud Strife

PoolBoy wrote:He would have simply, 'adapted' to the different era...and still won. He really is THAT good.

If YOU had the chance to win TEN MILLION QUID on the outcome of one frame of snooker...picking your player - to beat, say, Mark Davis.

Ronnie fans - stop, and think about it - would you really pick Ronnie in that scenario, a once-off opportunity that would change your life?

Sorry, but it's Selby for me - all-day-long!!!


Well, when you put it like that I reckon Selby would have won every single one of those titles from 97-2005. I don't see how Selby could possibly have been stopped.

Re: Could Mark Selby Have Won A World Title From 1997-2005?

Postby Iranu

Cloud Strife wrote:
Iranu wrote:Of course he could. At the very least he'd have destroyed Shaun Murphy with a session to spare in 2005.


You obviously didn't watch the 2005 championship then.

I did. No way Murphy would have lived with today's Selby (I assume we're talking about current Mark Selby in previous tournaments?)

Murphy can only play one way, I genuinely believe Selby would have stopped him playing that way and cantered to the title. Murphy doesn't have a B game today, let alone 12 years ago.

Re: Could Mark Selby Have Won A World Title From 1997-2005?

Postby Cloud Strife

Iranu wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Iranu wrote:Of course he could. At the very least he'd have destroyed Shaun Murphy with a session to spare in 2005.


You obviously didn't watch the 2005 championship then.

I did. No way Murphy would have lived with today's Selby (I assume we're talking about current Mark Selby in previous tournaments?)

Murphy can only play one way, I genuinely believe Selby would have stopped him playing that way and cantered to the title. Murphy doesn't have a B game today, let alone 12 years ago.


Murphy wouldn't have needed a B game as his A game was so good during that tournament, and that's what we're talking about here. Not the current Murphy or the Murphy of 2 years ago, or 5 years ago or whatever, but the Shaun Murphy of those 17 days who played lights out snooker.

Let's not forget how close an average and over-the-hill John Higgins came to beating this supposed invincible, peak Selby. Even Ding would most likely have won their semi if his long-potting wasn't so atrocious for most of the match, long-potting which happened to be Murphy's biggest strength during that championship in 2005.

Re: Could Mark Selby Have Won A World Title From 1997-2005?

Postby Jester82

Cloud Strife wrote:2005 he probably would have beaten a fading and mentally weak Stevens. Not sure about Murphy though. Shaun probably played the best snooker of his life these 17 days and potted the likes of Higgins and Ebdon off the table during the course of the tournament. He was young, he was exuberant and he was potting them off lampshades regardless of where the cueball was. Murphy favourite for me over Selby in that one.

This is all hypothetical off course, but still an interesting question nonetheless.


If Stevens was mentally weak in 2005, why did Murphy not pot him off the table in that final? The match had 34 frames, a very close result and match if Stevens was fading and Murphy so strong as you claim.

The last sentence is correct, the question is simply hypothetical.

Re: Could Mark Selby Have Won A World Title From 1997-2005?

Postby Jester82

And I remember the Ebdon-OSullivan match from that year when Ebdon came back from 2-8 to win 13-11. ROS was mocking Ebbo, but PE had the last laugh. And I thought OSullivan wanted to strangle him after the match.

Re: Could Mark Selby Have Won A World Title From 1997-2005?

Postby SnookerFan

PoolBoy wrote:He would have simply, 'adapted' to the different era...and still won. He really is THAT good.

If YOU had the chance to win TEN MILLION QUID on the outcome of one frame of snooker...picking your player - to beat, say, Mark Davis.

Ronnie fans - stop, and think about it - would you really pick Ronnie in that scenario, a once-off opportunity that would change your life?

Sorry, but it's Selby for me - all-day-long!!!


I wouldn't if he was playing Holt.

Re: Could Mark Selby Have Won A World Title From 1997-2005?

Postby Iranu

Cloud Strife wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Iranu wrote:Of course he could. At the very least he'd have destroyed Shaun Murphy with a session to spare in 2005.


You obviously didn't watch the 2005 championship then.

I did. No way Murphy would have lived with today's Selby (I assume we're talking about current Mark Selby in previous tournaments?)

Murphy can only play one way, I genuinely believe Selby would have stopped him playing that way and cantered to the title. Murphy doesn't have a B game today, let alone 12 years ago.


Murphy wouldn't have needed a B game as his A game was so good during that tournament, and that's what we're talking about here. Not the current Murphy or the Murphy of 2 years ago, or 5 years ago or whatever, but the Shaun Murphy of those 17 days who played lights out snooker.

Let's not forget how close an average and over-the-hill John Higgins came to beating this supposed invincible, peak Selby. Even Ding would most likely have won their semi if his long-potting wasn't so atrocious for most of the match, long-potting which happened to be Murphy's biggest strength during that championship in 2005.

Yeah I remember how he played and it was awesome - I just think Selby would have beaten him over 35 frames.

Obviously I have no evidence for that, it's just a feeling. And I totally understand why you disagree <ok>

Re: Could Mark Selby Have Won A World Title From 1997-2005?

Postby Cloud Strife

Iranu wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Iranu wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Iranu wrote:Of course he could. At the very least he'd have destroyed Shaun Murphy with a session to spare in 2005.


You obviously didn't watch the 2005 championship then.

I did. No way Murphy would have lived with today's Selby (I assume we're talking about current Mark Selby in previous tournaments?)

Murphy can only play one way, I genuinely believe Selby would have stopped him playing that way and cantered to the title. Murphy doesn't have a B game today, let alone 12 years ago.


Murphy wouldn't have needed a B game as his A game was so good during that tournament, and that's what we're talking about here. Not the current Murphy or the Murphy of 2 years ago, or 5 years ago or whatever, but the Shaun Murphy of those 17 days who played lights out snooker.

Let's not forget how close an average and over-the-hill John Higgins came to beating this supposed invincible, peak Selby. Even Ding would most likely have won their semi if his long-potting wasn't so atrocious for most of the match, long-potting which happened to be Murphy's biggest strength during that championship in 2005.

Yeah I remember how he played and it was awesome - I just think Selby would have beaten him over 35 frames.

Obviously I have no evidence for that, it's just a feeling. And I totally understand why you disagree <ok>


Fair enough. <ok>

Re: Could Mark Selby Have Won A World Title From 1997-2005?

Postby vodkadiet

Pink Ball wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:He certainly wouldn't have won the title in 1993. Hendry was awesome that year.

Probably the best performance I've seen over the course of an entire championship.


Pink Ball

The funny thing about the culmination of that year's event was that Hendry hadn't played White all season. The last time he had played him just a week after beating him in the 1992 final, when he beat him 9-0 in The Matchroom League Final.

At the end of 1993 final, Hendry had therefore won 37 of the last 42 frames he had played against White.

Re: Could Mark Selby Have Won A World Title From 1997-2005?

Postby Cloud Strife

vodkadiet wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:He certainly wouldn't have won the title in 1993. Hendry was awesome that year.

Probably the best performance I've seen over the course of an entire championship.


Pink Ball

The funny thing about the culmination of that year's event was that Hendry hadn't played White all season. The last time he had played him just a week after beating him in the 1992 final, when he beat him 9-0 in The Matchroom League Final.

At the end of 1993 final, Hendry had therefore won 37 of the last 42 frames he had played against White.


This stat is made all the more remarkable when you consider that White was absolutely flying in practice at the time.

Re: Could Mark Selby Have Won A World Title From 1997-2005?

Postby Pink Ball

Cloud Strife wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:He certainly wouldn't have won the title in 1993. Hendry was awesome that year.

Probably the best performance I've seen over the course of an entire championship.


Pink Ball

The funny thing about the culmination of that year's event was that Hendry hadn't played White all season. The last time he had played him just a week after beating him in the 1992 final, when he beat him 9-0 in The Matchroom League Final.

At the end of 1993 final, Hendry had therefore won 37 of the last 42 frames he had played against White.


This stat is made all the more remarkable when you consider that White was absolutely flying in practice at the time.

rofl

Re: Could Mark Selby Have Won A World Title From 1997-2005?

Postby Pink Ball

vodkadiet wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:He certainly wouldn't have won the title in 1993. Hendry was awesome that year.

Probably the best performance I've seen over the course of an entire championship.


Pink Ball

The funny thing about the culmination of that year's event was that Hendry hadn't played White all season. The last time he had played him just a week after beating him in the 1992 final, when he beat him 9-0 in The Matchroom League Final.

At the end of 1993 final, Hendry had therefore won 37 of the last 42 frames he had played against White.

Don't remind me!

Re: Could Mark Selby Have Won A World Title From 1997-2005?

Postby vodkadiet

Cloud Strife wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:He certainly wouldn't have won the title in 1993. Hendry was awesome that year.

Probably the best performance I've seen over the course of an entire championship.


Pink Ball

The funny thing about the culmination of that year's event was that Hendry hadn't played White all season. The last time he had played him just a week after beating him in the 1992 final, when he beat him 9-0 in The Matchroom League Final.

At the end of 1993 final, Hendry had therefore won 37 of the last 42 frames he had played against White.


This stat is made all the more remarkable when you consider that White was absolutely flying in practice at the time.


No one has ever asked White to define the term 'flying' in relation to practice.

Re: Could Mark Selby Have Won A World Title From 1997-2005?

Postby Ronnie79

Pink Ball wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:He certainly wouldn't have won the title in 1993. Hendry was awesome that year.

Probably the best performance I've seen over the course of an entire championship.


Nah Sullivan in 04 tops that hammered Hendry 17-4 in the semis and won final 18-8 best snooker of his career


   

cron