Post a reply

Re: Biggest shock in snooker history

Postby gallantrabbit

Stuart Bingham had been building up to it though. He played fantastic snooker form the Ronnie game on. A surprise how well he held himself together so well but not such a shock for me.

Postby SnookerFan

gallantrabbit wrote:Stuart Bingham had been building up to it though. He played fantastic snooker form the Ronnie game on. A surprise how well he held himself together so well but not such a shock for me.

I agree with you that, by the time Bingham got to the final, it seemed quite possible he'd win it.

People seemed so desperate to insist he wasn't a good player, that they seemed to forget how well he'd played in beating Dott, Ronnie and Trump. Three great players.

Of course, the issue as you pointed out, was whether he'd be able to handle the pressure of being in The Crucible final. Not whether he was capable of winning it.

Postby eraserhead

I wasn't saying Bingham wasn't good enough I wanted him to win after beating Ronnie because it was a great story, but if you look at UK, Masters, Worlds winners It's usualy between a small group of top top players.

I just think before 2015 if you asked people who they thought would be a future world champ you wouldn't get many Bingham replies.

Postby SnookerFan

eraserhead wrote:I wasn't saying Bingham wasn't good enough I wanted him to win after beating Ronnie because it was a great story, but if you look at UK, Masters, Worlds winners It's usualy between a small group of top top players.

I just think before 2015 if you asked people who they thought would be a future world champ you wouldn't get many Bingham replies.

I'm not disagreeing with you. Nobody would've predicted Bingham would win The Crucible even the day before the tournament started,

I just think, maybe with the benefit of hindsight, that Joe Johnson was a bigger surprise winner.

Postby TheSaviour

That was some splendid and superlative stuff from Reanne! What a player. Robin is one of the best players to play matches like these. Some heave "in-buildings" Robin having. Robin is a form player to play matches like these. He has it all. But no. What a superlative, aggressive playing all through the match from Reanne. I just hope someone made some money from my tip yesterday considering Reanne. Wasn´t she something like 20/1. I know she is well capable to play like that. Don´t ask me of how I do know that.. She is well capable to play even much better. Perhaps she fancies now to go all the way. That certainly was some superlative playing. Not many can live with it if she can keep up that type of aggressive, and tactically basically flawless playing. Hasn´t been that much emotional while watching snooker for a long, long time. Robin really is a top man. Anything what is promised.... And yet again, don´t ask where I do know that..

To be a top snooker player one needs to have some street wisdom. It is much about to avoid some situations. If you can´t afford to something you just can´t afford. For example Donald Trump has that street wisdom. But Reanne is right up there with the likes of Mark Williams and Ronnie O´Sullivan if you ask me. Ronnie also is a top man. As a person. I have always found Mark Williams as even more naturally talented player than Ronnie and better to watch on the table. But Ronnie certainly is a top man as a person. Many really eccerentic and strange decisions. Obviously anyone needs to behave normally most of the time. And for the third time; don´t ask me where do I know that.

Postby PLtheRef

SnookerFan wrote:
eraserhead wrote:I wasn't saying Bingham wasn't good enough I wanted him to win after beating Ronnie because it was a great story, but if you look at UK, Masters, Worlds winners It's usualy between a small group of top top players.

I'm not disagreeing with you. Nobody would've predicted Bingham would win The Crucible even the day before the tournament started,

I just think, maybe with the benefit of hindsight, that Joe Johnson was a bigger surprise winner.

I remember that someone I work with asked for two tips for the 2015 Championship. - the day after I told him that I could have given 20 names and no disrespect to the man - Bingham wouldn't have been one of them

Postby Badsnookerplayer

SnookerFan wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:
TheSaviour wrote:Some heave "in-buildings" Robin having.

Anyone? <doh>

I often heave the in-buildings that Robin has. <ok>

An in-building cellular enhancement system, commonly implemented in conjunction with a distributed antenna system (DAS), is a telecommunications solution which is used to extend and distribute the cellular signal of a given mobile network operator

Surprised you needed to ask.

Postby Vallomas

As for a whole tournament, Murphy's Worlds success on 2005 is by far the biggest shock I remember.

As for a single match, I wasn't around when Marcus Campbell beat Stephen Hendry 9-0 in the 1998 UK Championship, but I consider results like this as really big shocks.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Results of thread:

Who Where When Votes

Tony Knowles beats Steve Davis Worlds 1982 2
Joe Johnson wins Worlds Worlds 1986 2
Steve James beats Stephen Hendry Worlds 1991 1
Peter Ebdon beats Steve Davis Worlds 1992 1
Marcus Campbell whitewashes Stephen Hendry 9-0 UK 1998 1
Chris Small beats John Higgins LG Cup 2002 1
Shaun Murphy wins Worlds Worlds 2005 2
Andrew Higgison reaches final Welsh Open 2007 1