Post a reply

Is Ronnie O'Sullivan the greatest "coach" ever?

Postby TheRocket

We know that Judd has started to practice with Ronnie this season on a regular basis (Trumps words). Now Trumps positional play and breakbuilding looks as good as ever.

Liang Wenbo has said that he wouldn't have won his ranking title without Ronnies help.

Fu has said in the Eurosport studio during the Scottish Open that Ronnie has given him some advice how he could improve his game/technique. And he's glad about that as not everybody would give you a good advice. Now Fu looks as good as he has ever been before.

During the German Masters Ronnie said something like "I told him to go for this shots" and this that (can't remember what he said exactly) when he was speaking about Anthony Hamilton. In other words. It gave you the impression that Ronnie gave Hamilton some handy tips before the matches. Hamilton won the German Masters, his first ranking title in the end.

Is Ronnie O'Sullivan the greatest coach ever?

Re: Is Ronnie O'Sullivan the greatest "coach" ever?

Postby Andre147

Griffiths will differ on this one :roll:

Joking aside, it's hard to say who should be regarded the greatest, but fact is Ronnie's advice to Trump, Liang, Fu and Hamilton have led them to great results lately in such a short space of time.

Its not like Ronnie has worked for a coach with them for years, it's a recent thing, so the results have come for them. :hatoff:

Postby The Herminator

The older players really have a lot they can help the younger players with if they want. It wasn't until Hendry had a chat with Robertson about break-building that the penny dropped for him, and a year or two later he got 100 centuries in a season.

Postby TheSaviour

Yeah, coaching some guinea pigs. "a Guinea pig goes international".

Ronnie is someone who is always trying his hardest and his absolute best on the table, no matter how difficult the situation might be. And usually it is. It is hard to beat his best efforts. But even then he wins a match, perhaps a few, and then crashes out. The standards are almost sky-high. When it comes down to the last 16 or 8 players. So I don´t quite know if he has any credibility to coach other players.. But Ronnie has the style, and the right type of completion spirit. When people are watching his snooker they immediately sees that now there´s a real efforts, beat that straight as a dead long potting where the cue ball cannons like no-other can do, for example.

It is like I have a few good years left here as poster, Ronnie has perhaps a few good years left as a player. Then that´s it. Of course if he want´s to he could be an another Jimmy White. Absolutely nothing wrong with that either, but can´t just see Ronnie really wanting that. It has come down to fact that everyone knows how well Jimmy still can play but are just making calculations considering his recent form and making the calculations. Yes, he could have a deep run. But that´s only could. The possibility of that might be something like 2/100. All know he still can be one of the absolute best, but it is just easy to make calculations how likely it is that he finds it again. Currently Ronnie is not the most likely to win the tournament but he is right up there to challenge. It is not desperate but still quite unlikely. He is not the best player on the tour anymore. I usually classifie "the A group", "the B group", "the C group", and "the rest". Ronnie has the group B status.

I have a few good years left as a poster here, and then that´s it. Then I am too old to be here. The original idea was to have a few pints and making some er efforts.. Some realistic efforts. But I am currently fastly running out of time to make those realistic efforts.

Postby Sickpotter

Judd said having played more in a recreational/exhibition setting against Ronnie allowed him to get comfortable and cemented in his mind that he can hold his own with Ronnie.

Maybe Ronnie is the best confidence coach ;-)

Postby The Herminator

SnookerFan wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
TheSaviour wrote:Ronnie is someone who is always trying his hardest and his absolute best on the table, no matter how difficult the situation might be.

UK quarter-final 2006.

rofl

1-0 Pinkball.

To be fair that example is from 11 years ago! I think we can all agree he's been a different beast mentally for the last 5 years, although more prone to lapses of concentration.

Postby The Herminator

SnookerFan wrote:He didn't say he has been trying his best for five years.

He said always. :wave:

Not that I think it's good idea to analyse The Savours posts to this level of detail (!), if we're quoting he did say he "is" always trying his best not he always has.

Postby Iranu

Pink Ball wrote:
Lucky wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Where's Coland? I want to hear how Selbo will be made for coaching once he retires.

He doesn't know when a 'joke' has run it's course <ok>

I guess you could say it passed its Selbo date.

That may be the best joke I've ever heard/read.

Postby TheSaviour

He is just a bit of a bell-end.

Just try to read it a slightly better, at least then it wouldn´t always be that much miles off.