Post a reply

Which was worse?

Making the UK a 128 with best-of-11s
65%
Making the shootout a ranking event
35%

Total votes : 26

Re: Which is Hearn's worst decision since 2010?

Postby Snooker89

SnookerFan wrote:The thing is, if Hearn is the super charasmastic business god he fancies himself as, he'd easily convince alternative sponsors in.

It would be great if he came on here and did a Q and A but that seems unlikely.Maybe World snooker should invest in someone who has a track record and contacts with blue chip brands.That was one of the big selling points with the Altium guy and as Dave Hendon alluded to at the time him and Hearn would have been a dream team because sponsorship really is the last piece of the jigsaw.

Postby Andre147

gallantrabbit wrote:Maybe one other item to enter the debate is the world number 17 having to play three qualies to reach the crucible. Far too extreme surely???

What do you propose then?

WN17 winning 2 matches and the others 3?

I dont find it extreme to be honest.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:
gallantrabbit wrote:Maybe one other item to enter the debate is the world number 17 having to play three qualies to reach the crucible. Far too extreme surely???

Agreed. It's not something I mind too much.

Postby TheSaviour

I don´t have any problem with anyones skin colour. It´s not anyones fault or decision of which colour of skin possesing. Unless then.. Never mind. But I might have some problems with different races because they are trying to adapt the habits of ours. Get the h... out of here. I would be giving the same treatment if going to let´s say to Kinshasa to participating in their festivals and the parties. It´s not their cup of a tea. And vice versa.

Just get the all clowns out of there.

Make it an inside story once again.

Barry has made some mistakes, too, we all do make. I would have never believed if someone would had said Mark Selby was going to crash out against Scott Donaldson. Even when Scott is such a talent. But Mark certainly is such an odd ball. He has had some injuries during this season. So that was my mistake. What people seems to be thinking I was suprised that Peter Ebdon or Anthony McGill also lost on early stages but I wasn´t at all. Actually I was about to post that Peter will be in big troubles against Haotian. Actually Peter´s always going to be in troubles before the matches even begin. Sometimes he can get away with it.

I would like to see Joe Swail and Dominic Dale immediately to retire from the game, they are just in it anymore. They only can get away from the poor attitude because Barry has made the Tour such a safe haven. There is a liquid craziness at the moment. It´s not that much bad at all, just simply amusing how the Spaceman handless the things. That is just a liquid craziness. Peter Ebdon and Fergal O´Brien could retire from the game also. They need to start to relaxe more. If they wan´t to survive. The game will never survive, letting alone to go forward, if the usual suspects just can´t be bothered anymore or having a clear attitude problem. Regardless if that´s pressing it too hard or to not to have the belief anymore. They need to have the belief the new players will be marketing and presenting very well after them.

Ronnie´s also someone who is a way too suspicious. It´s not that he should go more for his shots but he should refuse almost all of those. Joe Perry looks unstoppable at the mo, and a very little Ronnie can do about it. Yes, he can fluke some win or wins, or fluke the title, but that won´t be good enough. When the time goes by. If he gets less suspicious he will start to turn off his shots. Only the time will tell if that´s the right path, and I can tell you it is.

We need an another, a new superhero. Actually.... I am a volunteer to many things. I can be a bit a perfectionist also, which causes some troubles. But isn´t she a biiiiit too good looking at the moment...?? Reanne. We don´t need an another Reanne. But I know a many things how to make it and things to look good and I do posses all sorts of wisdoms and knowledges. I used to have a top coach for years who was always saying of what she fancies and why. So I know these things, and that knowledge won´t get out of the date. Obviously things can always be made better and better. Many of the brilliant moves Barry has made has already been well covered in 90s.

I just tried to make Barry a bit jealous. But having no success at all. At least so far. Like I stated, we all do make some predictions mistakes, me too. Luckily the people these days are seeing those mistakes they personally made as a ticket to ride. Something to perhaps even to learn from. Well not really to learn from but having a positive attitude towards losing.
Last edited by TheSaviour on 05 Dec 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Dan-cat

You know, if there's one thing I've learnt from being in the Army, it's never ignore a bungke. I knew a Major, who got bungked, made the mistake of ignoring the bungke. He bungked it! Fatal error! 'Cos it turned out all along that the soldier who bungked him had been bungkeing a lot of other officers who bungked their bungkes. In the end, we had to disband the regiment. Morale totally destroyed... by bungke!

Postby The_Abbott

Both bad.

I chose the shoot out because anyone can win that and get good ranking points - even Andy Hicks and this can be the difference in getting into the top 16.

At least they still have to play up to 11 frames at the UK although best of 19 would be preferable after round 2.

In a way I wish that they kept the old World Championship qualifiers because it must be hard for someone getting into the Top 32 having to play 3 matches whereas in the past they only had to play 1 match so had more chance of getting to the cruicible.

Postby Andre147

It still takes a good perfrmance to win the UK Championship.

Winning the Shit-Out is more about luck than anything else. I like that tournament, diferent to the rest, but ranker? Never!

Postby Andre147

Alex0paul wrote:I'd say it's harder to win the Shootout than it is to win the UK. So much more variance involved.

Then you could say it's harder the Shootout than it is to win the Worlds.

Postby Alex0paul

Andre147 wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:I'd say it's harder to win the Shootout than it is to win the UK. So much more variance involved.

Then you could say it's harder the Shootout than it is to win the Worlds.

It probably is

Postby eraserhead

Cloud Strife wrote:
eraserhead wrote:Don't like that every ranker is 128 flat draw now.

Agree.

There's now so much dross to wade through before you get to the good matches.

When a top player does go out early it feels more like a fluke. The lower ranked player rarely goes far in the tournament anyway.

Postby Pink Ball

Cloud Strife wrote:
eraserhead wrote:Don't like that every ranker is 128 flat draw now.

Agree.

There's now so much dross to wade through before you get to the good matches.

128s are fine, but not for the UK. The UK should seed the top 16, me multi-sessions, 32 players at the venue, two tables up to quarter-final, one table from the semi-final. Like another tournament I know.

Postby Andre147

As much as we want to, it will never be like that again.

Certainly not under Hearn's regime. Maybe another Chairman, but I seriously doubt it.

Postby gallantrabbit

SnookerFan wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Agreed. It's not something I mind too much.

As the WC is the last tourney of the season it would be an opportunity to reward those who have managed a good ranking over the season. World no 17 playing the same number of games as world number 127 makes no sense to me. If we go to a flat 128, as in the other tourneys, then fine, that makes more sense. But this system is a hotch potch of both imo.

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 wrote:As much as we want to, it will never be like that again.

Certainly not under Hearn's regime. Maybe another Chairman, but I seriously doubt it.

Even if Hearn thinks that it would better to change it back he won't do it because that would be admitting he was wrong. Hearn strikes me as someone who would rather emasculate himself with a rusty knife than admit he's not right.

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:
Andre147 wrote:As much as we want to, it will never be like that again.

Even if Hearn thinks that it would better to change it back he won't do it because that would be admitting he was wrong. Hearn strikes me as someone who would rather emasculate himself with a rusty knife than admit he's not right.

Yes definately. The man is always 100% right and wont ever admit he was wrong. It's for the good of the sport he says.

Postby Iranu

One of the main reasons that the UK doesn't stand apart like it used to, aside from the format, is the BBC's shameful coverage of it. If they televised the whole duration rather than starting halfway through, that would help.

The shortened matches aren't ideal but they're still longer than most.

If the Beeb aren't prepared to show it in full, they should give the tournament to ITV so they can televise it with the respect it deserves, rather than using it as filler until Hairy Bikers starts. Relegating evening matches to the red button is ridiculous.

Postby Andre147

Yes BBC coverage nowdays is embarassing. Not a long shot of what it used to be.

I've said many times, the format may have been reduced yes, but this is still only the 3rd tournament on the calender with Best of 11s from the start.

Yes it should have been 17s because it's the 2nd biggest ranker, but Best of 11s is still longer than most of the other ranking events.