Post a reply

Re: Greatest Snooker Venue (besides the crucible)?

Postby badtemperedcyril

Blackpool Tower Circus — capacity 1,750

Steeped in history…

World Professional Championship Final 1950,51,52,55,56
English Amateur Championship Final 1963,65
UK Championship 1977
Snooker Shootout 2011,12,13,15
World Seniors Championship 2015

Although it is perhaps better known for the fortnight long Fred Davis v Walter Donaldson World finals, some of which even had BBC television broadcasts, if I could go back in time to watch one match there it would be the be the 1965 English Amateur final when Patsy Houlihan beat John Spencer, 11-3. At a time when the professional game was dead, this was as big as it got. It is quite reasonable to assert that Houlihan was, at that time, the best player in the world since all that the professionals (Pulman, Rex Williams, Fred Davis) were doing is playing the occasional exhibition and were woefully out of match practice. Houlihan won twenty successive matches in competition during that 1964-65 season, collecting four titles and was deservedly named “Player of the Year” by the BA&CC.

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:I don’t like Alexandra Palace. I think the Masters should be played in the Royal Albert Hall. It’s a superb venue for Boxing, Snooker would be just as good there.

Ally Pally has grown on me since it's moved there. And they do understand how to host snooker now, which is something they didn't do when they moved the tournament to Wembley Arena.

It has become a good venue for snooker now. Though the BBC bumming it every five minutes is annoying, and I could do without The Century Club or whatever it's called, with all the posh pin ends turning up for it. But I guess, that's what makes the WST some money, in a sport that doesn't sell out all arenas. So that ain't going anywhere.

The big difference between the Ally Pally and The Crucible is that the atmosphere extends out of The Crucible, and consumes all of Sheffield. The city breathes snooker for 17 days. Ally Pally has a nice view outside, but it's a bus ride from anything else. If you wonder down to Wood Green, or wherever, most people probably don't know or care that the snooker is on.

Postby SnookerFan

SteveJJ wrote:Anyone voted for Crawley Leisure Centre?

Obviously not. Though, it wasn't as bad as Ronnie made out.

There wasn't anything really in walking distance of it though. It was probably better if you were doing it by car. The New Moon Crawley was the best place to eat and drink there. But not a huge selection of places.

When inside, it wasn't too bad. I preferred it to Brentwood, in all honesty.
Last edited by SnookerFan on 15 Jun 2023, edited 2 times in total.

Postby shanew48

The best is probably the sports centre that held the English open that Ron said stunk of snake hiss and where Ebdon was chastised for walking in the line of one of the bowls players. That place sounded a fine venue.

Postby SnookerFan

shanew48 wrote:The best is probably the sports centre that held the English open that Ron said stunk of snake hiss and where Ebdon was chastised for walking in the line of one of the bowls players. That place sounded a fine venue.

It weren't as bad as they said.

It was so rubbish, that Ronnie went back the following year, and stayed around working for Eurosport after he got knocked out?
Last edited by SnookerFan on 19 Feb 2024, edited 1 time in total.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:
shanew48 wrote:The best is probably the sports centre that held the English open that Ron said stunk of snake hiss and where Ebdon was chastised for walking in the line of one of the bowls players. That place sounded a fine venue.

It weren't as bad as they said.

It was so rubbish, that Ronnie went back the following year, and stayed around working for Eurosport after he got knocked out.

Perhaps it was self-penance? :shrug: