Post a reply

Re: Pink Ball's Top 10 Players of All-Time

Postby SnookerFan

Chalk McHugh wrote:Anyone read Hendrys new book? Was thinking of purchasing it today. He is coming up on RTE radio shortly for a chat.

Listen to the chat before making a decision.

Postby Chalk McHugh

SnookerFan wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:Anyone read Hendrys new book? Was thinking of purchasing it today. He is coming up on RTE radio shortly for a chat.

Listen to the chat before making a decision.

Thanks for that.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Most pros and pundits acknowledge ROS as the greatest ever at this point. :win:

Robbo, Taylor, Dott, Hawk, Perry and even Smurf - all admitted that during this tribute video during this year's UK final:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37gL4cdroZg

Robbo ultimtely settles the debate at 10:03. And he says Hendry would not be that great in this era.

Even though his ego prevents him from saying it, deep down, Hendry also knows that ROS is better than him. U can see that in this video and in the punditry and post match analysis he has done in recent years.

And one more think I would like to add. Just cause ROS is the :lion: , that doesn't diminish Hendry and other legends's greatness. They should all be respected for what they have achieved in the game. <ok>

Postby Iranu

Johnny Bravo wrote:Most pros and pundits acknowledge ROS as the greatest ever at this point. :win:

Robbo, Taylor, Dott, Hawk, Perry and even Smurf - all admitted that during this tribute video during this year's UK final:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37gL4cdroZg

Robbo ultimtely settles the debate at 10:03. And he says Hendry would not be that great in this era.

Even though his ego prevents him from saying it, deep down, Hendry also knows that ROS is better than him. U can see that in this video and in the punditry and post match analysis he has done in recent years.

And one more think I would like to add. Just cause ROS is the :lion: , that doesn't diminish Hendry and other legends's greatness. They should all be respected for what they have achieved in the game. <ok>

Hendry's said several times that he believes Ronnie to be the best player there's ever been.

Postby TheRocket

Tier 1: GOAT candidates: Ronnie O'Sullivan, Stephen Hendry, Steve Davis

Tier 2: Borderline GOAT candidate: John Higgins

Tier 3: Solid All Time Great but not a GOAT candidate: Ray Reardon,Alex Higgins, Mark Williams, Mark Selby

Tier 4: Borderline All Time Greats: Jimmy White, Neil Robertson

Tier 5: Very good players but no All Time Greats: Ding Junhui, Judd Trump,Shaun Murphy, Peter Ebdon, John Parrott, Ken Doherty

Postby Badsnookerplayer

TheRocket wrote:Tier 1: GOAT candidates: Ronnie O'Sullivan, Stephen Hendry, Steve Davis

Tier 3: Solid All Time Great but not a GOAT candidate: Ray Reardon,Alex Higgins, Mark Williams, Mark Selby

Tier 5: Very good players but no All Time Greats: Ding Junhui, Judd Trump,Shaun Murphy, Peter Ebdon, John Parrott, Ken Doherty

Most sensible post on the GOAT issue I have seen. Not saying it is accurate or not but it saves a lot of bickering.

Good work TR

Postby Iranu

What bickering? We have the official list. Please see below:

Pink Ball wrote:
1. Ronnie O'Sullivan
2. Stephen Hendry
3. John Higgins
4. Steve Davis
5. Mark Williams
6. Ray Reardon
7. Mark Selby
8. Alex Higgins
9. Neil Robertson
10. Ding Junhui
11. Peter Ebdon
12. Jimmy White
13. John Parrott
14. John Spencer
15. Ken Doherty
16. Shaun Murphy
17. Judd Trump
18. Cliff Thorburn
19. Terry Griffiths
20. Paul Hunter

Postby Pink Ball

TheRocket wrote:Tier 1: GOAT candidates: Ronnie O'Sullivan, Stephen Hendry, Steve Davis

Ding Junhui is clearly better than Jimmy White. Ebdon is better than him too.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Pink Ball wrote:

Ding Junhui is clearly better than Jimmy White. Ebdon is better than him too.

Tosh

Postby TheRocket

Jimmy White really is a special case. As a 6 time WC runner up and the massive popularity he's had. But I certainly wouldn't disagree if someone did say he's only a Tier 5 player.

In other words a very good player but not an All-Time Great.

Postby Alex0paul

Amazing how people dismiss Hendry having to beat White in 4 World Finals yet still class him as a borderline great

Postby Iranu

Guys.

Why is this discussion still going?

The thread should be long locked by now:

Iranu wrote:What bickering? We have the official list. Please see below:

Pink Ball wrote:
1. Ronnie O'Sullivan
2. Stephen Hendry
3. John Higgins
4. Steve Davis
5. Mark Williams
6. Ray Reardon
7. Mark Selby
8. Alex Higgins
9. Neil Robertson
10. Ding Junhui
11. Peter Ebdon
12. Jimmy White
13. John Parrott
14. John Spencer
15. Ken Doherty
16. Shaun Murphy
17. Judd Trump
18. Cliff Thorburn
19. Terry Griffiths
20. Paul Hunter

Postby TheRocket

Pink Ball wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:I think The Rocket has nailed it and we should scrap Pink Ball's list

Completely inferior list.

thats harsh man. I was just tired of this endless O'Sullivan vs Hendry debates so I tried to do something new to make everyone happy.

Postby Iranu

TR, if you want to know where you went wrong...:
TheRocket wrote:I tried to do something new to make everyone happy.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

TheRocket wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:I think The Rocket has nailed it and we should scrap Pink Ball's list

thats harsh man. I was just tired of this endless O'Sullivan vs Hendry debates so I tried to do something new to make everyone happy.

TR - you did a great job and I think it is refreshing to step away from ridiculous GOAT debates. The margins are too fine and time clouds the issue.

Your list is far more sensible as it softens the borders into groups.

It is great work.

Pink ball is just upset because it is a better concept than his.

That is not to demean his work. It was relevant once.

Postby Pink Ball

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:

TR - you did a great job and I think it is refreshing to step away from ridiculous GOAT debates. The margins are too fine and time clouds the issue.

Your list is far more sensible as it softens the borders into groups.

It is great work.

Pink ball is just upset because it is a better concept than his.

That is not to demean his work. It was relevant once.

The Rocket’s list is an excellent list. But it is not official and never will be. My list is the official list.