Just based on peak form:
1. ROS
2. Trump
3. Robbo
4. Fat Higgins
5. Hendry

Re: Pink Ball's Top 10 Players of All-Time

Postby badtemperedcyril

I always reserve a spot for King Joe in my Top Ten. I used to have Williams at 5th ahead of Joe and Reardon on the basis that his record isn't that far behind Higgins. Now, I don't feel I can have have such a gap between Williams and Selby, thus I find myself dropping him down below Joe and Ray in order to sit closer to Selby. I'd marginally have Williams above Selby presently as I think he was No.1 in a tougher era than when Selby was. That said, I suspect Selby to exceed Williams record by the time he's done.

Postby TheRocket

Prime Williams had to complete against a younger ROS and Higgins and there was Hendry who was still playing to a very high level. So his competition was the Top3 of all time who were all playing to a high level at the same time. If you say Higgins is 4th greatest behind Davis, then its still 3 of the 4 greatest players of all time.

And MJW won the majority of his titles during that era which shows how good he was.

Postby vodkadiet1

According to the University of Limerick which used a complex algorithm to calculate who is the greatest snooker player of all time John Higgins came out on top of the pile. So Hendry is the most successful and Higgins is the greatest. The Scots have this one covered.

Postby chengdufan

Pink Ball, do players ever slip down the list due to their own poor performance, rather than because they are overtaken?
For example, if Judd's form falls off a cliff and he drops off tour next season, would he move down?

Postby SnookerFan

vodkadiet1 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Pinkball,

Can you confirm what maths you used to calculate this?

7 times table!

I don't think the mathematics used in that other thread was anywhere near that advanced.

Postby Pink Ball

Two alterations made. Selby now moves ahead of Ray Reardon into sixth place. He remains behind Williams, but the gap is now wafer thin and I don't think Selby will need to do a whole lot to enter the top five. Judd Trump overtook Neil Robertson last month, but Robertson has since won the most prestigious competition outside of the triple crown, so he goes back ahead of him for the time being.

1. Ronnie O'Sullivan
2. Stephen Hendry
3. John Higgins
4. Steve Davis
5. Mark Williams
6. Mark Selby
7. Ray Reardon
8. Neil Robertson
9. Judd Trump
10. Alex Higgins
11. Ding Junhui
12. Peter Ebdon
13. Jimmy White
14. John Parrott
15. John Spencer
16. Shaun Murphy
17. Ken Doherty
18. Cliff Thorburn
19. Terry Griffiths
20. Stuart Bingham

Postby vodkadiet1

Pink Ball wrote:Two alterations made. Selby now moves ahead of Ray Reardon into sixth place. He remains behind Williams, but the gap is now wafer thin and I don't think Selby will need to do a whole lot to enter the top five. Judd Trump overtook Neil Robertson last month, but Robertson has since won the most prestigious competition outside of the triple crown, so he goes back ahead of him for the time being.

1. Ronnie O'Sullivan
2. Stephen Hendry
3. John Higgins
4. Steve Davis
5. Mark Williams
6. Mark Selby
7. Ray Reardon
8. Neil Robertson
9. Judd Trump
10. Alex Higgins
11. Ding Junhui
12. Peter Ebdon
13. Jimmy White
14. John Parrott
15. John Spencer
16. Shaun Murphy
17. Ken Doherty
18. Cliff Thorburn
19. Terry Griffiths
20. Stuart Bingham

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

Postby Pink Ball

vodkadiet1 wrote:1. Hendry
2. S.Davis
3. O'Sullivan
4. Selby
5. Higgins

Why have you put Davis ahead of O'Sullivan on your unofficial list? I thought achievements outweigh opinions? O'Sullivan has won more major titles than and as many world titles as Steve Davis. Surely O'Sullivan is second of this lot, if you're being true to your formula?

Postby vodkadiet1

Pink Ball wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:1. Hendry
2. S.Davis
3. O'Sullivan
4. Selby
5. Higgins

Why have you put Davis ahead of O'Sullivan on your unofficial list? I thought achievements outweigh opinions? O'Sullivan has won more major titles than and as many world titles as Steve Davis. Surely O'Sullivan is second of this lot, if you're being true to your formula?

The achievement of being ranked number 1 for such a long time counts for a lot.

Postby Holden Chinaski

What's funny is that Vodka used to be a huge Ronnie fanboy but he asked Ronnie for an autograph once and Ronnie snubbed him. Since then Vodka has dedicated his life to hating Ronnie online.

Postby Acé

@PinkBall

what made you have Ronnie as #1 all the way back in December 2016?

iirc he didn't topple the overall TC events list and his ranking events list was way less than Hendry's list, his tear on piling up the ranking events started from late 2017-early 2019

what was your criteria up to that point? he was also coming off a fresh defeat at the UK 2016 vs Selby I think

Postby TheRocket

rekoons wrote:So Steve Davis jumps over John higgins while not having played a match since almost a decade or so?

He was always third for me because of the 2 more World titles.