Post a reply

Experience Counts!

Postby thecueview

Hello everyone.

I hope you have all been enjoying the wall to wall snooker coverage this Autumn.

One striking thing from this season so far has been the performances from the players aged 40 and over.

Of all 11 major events so far, someone aged 40 or over has made at least the Semi-Finals of each event.

Here's a small article I compiled looking at their achievements...

http://www.thecueview.com/experience-co ... ccess.html

Re: Experience Counts!

Postby Dan-cat

Mr View sir - thank you for a great read and stats.

I don't think it's just experience. I believe there's another factor at play, and it's attention span - or lack thereof, and it came from something Alan McManus said in commentary.

There was a thread about this same subject started by Pinkie which is a good read: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6111&p=391465

My post from that thread:

Dan-cat wrote:I think Alan McManus had a very good point last year. He said the younger players don't know how to focus properly when practising, always diverting to facebook, Twitter, messaging on their phones while at the table.

It's not just when practising. If you spend all day glued to your phone/internet switching between apps it bucks your concentration levels full stop. So when you are down on your shot your brain is used to hopping all over the place and to play snooker real good it must be trained to be empty of thoughts to get into the zone. It's the modern disease - effectively we all have ADD. I didn't explain this very well. But it's about being present in the moment, fully committing to the task in front of you and not thinking about anything else. This goes for your whole life, not just snooker, obviously.

A while ago I started a short essay entitled: Being present: Why playing snooker real good is a lesson in getting the most out of your life

I didn't finish it though. I got distracted.*

* I actually did finish that article, for a seminar I run and it's here: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6797&p=438566

Postby SnookerFan

I wonder if Mark King will win any more ranking events in his career.

Edit. I meant King. I don't know why I said Mark Allen.
Last edited by SnookerFan on 22 Nov 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Postby snucar

I thought this thread was about something a little more...spicy. :evilgrin:

Postby SnookerFan

snucar wrote:I thought this thread was about something a little more...spicy. :evilgrin:

A chicken jalfrezi?

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:I wonder if Mark King will win any more ranking events in his career.

Even by your standards, I did think that was random!

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I wonder if Mark King will win any more ranking events in his career.

Even by your standards, I did think that was random!

<ok>