Post a reply

Re: Should we forget the Positives?

Postby SnookerFan

StalinESQ wrote:<ok> good post S-fan with some good insight and valid points from the perspective of a venue-goer.

Not sure why but never went to Welsh Open but have been to Newport plenty with work....... perhaps that was what put me off it - knowing what the place was like.

I would love Reading and Preston back on the snooker map personally......

Never went to either. When I started going to live snooker, Reading was never used as a venue. Which is more convenient to me then some tournaments. As would Brighton have been, I can get a train straight there.

Maybe this is something Barry Hearn needs to address. Bring snooker to bigger venues, with more fans, is of course a priority. But how about the smaller venues, that can also have more fun as a visitor? The one problem with the Newport Centre was that it was a bastard to queue up for, very little space. But if asked, I'd tell anyone I loved it as a venue.

Maybe, if we are creating new tournaments, each with their own character and personality, considering ones in smaller, more atmospheric out of the way places may fit the 'personality' of some tournaments, over those of the others? Then we can get the bigger, more brass tournaments and the smaller more atmospheric more eccentric ones also. For me, more tournaments, in a variety of types of venue would make the sport more enjoyable. And most people would tell you the relatively small Crucible Theatre was one of the best venues going.

Though of course, creating a bigger fan-base is the first priority. What I have outlined may be longer term thoughts. But for me, the venue is a very important part of the experience. Venues, big and small, it place grand and not-so, for me gives you something for everyone.

Thinking a bloke dressed as The Grim Reaper coming out to walk the loser off, doesn't. <laugh>

Re: Should we forget the Positives?

Postby Wildey

of Course the Welsh Open is safe it would hardly be a good move getting rid of it only the 4 BBC Events has been played longer than it....it has history but it needs a face lift and a move as Hearn said im in north wales so moving it closer would be better for me however just to give you a idea its 140 miles in 3 and a half hours roughly to cardiff for me and its 138 miles in 3 hours to sheffield but i think the best place for the welsh is Cardiff.