Post a reply

Re: Will Anthony McGill win the World Championship?

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:i agree with King Kauto its getting pathetic

Why? Some topics are, this one clearly isn't.

It's a legitime question mate, Anthony McGill, with a few more years of experience, can indeed win the Worlds. His game is like a modern day Steve Davis, plus the ginger hair. <ok>

Whether he will or not is a diferent question. If you ask me, I say.... yes!

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:i agree with King Kauto its getting pathetic

Why? Some topics are, this one clearly isn't.

It's a legitime question mate, Anthony McGill, with a few more years of experience, can indeed win the Worlds. His game is like a modern day Steve Davis, plus the ginger hair. <ok>

Whether he will or not is a diferent question. If you ask me, I say.... yes!

but just posting discuss on every topic getting very tedious.

give a reason why you think he can become world champion.

the question and thread is fine the presentation is boring

Postby SnookerFan

It's alright, Dan Cat. Not going to start an argument about something that trivial. <ok>

It just seemed McGill got a lot of popularity due to his Crucible one the other year, and rightfully so. He played well, and is certainly one to watch.

I guess my question is this; "Anthony McGill certainly has the potential to win the World Championships. Who thinks he will turn that potential into a Crucible win?"

I hope he doe, personally.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:He's licensed to thrill, he's Anthony McGill!

But will he thrill is way to the World Championship?

My prediction is that he will, but give it a minimum of five years yet. Experience seems key these days.

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerFan wrote:It's alright, Dan Cat. Not going to start an argument about something that trivial. <ok>

It just seemed McGill got a lot of popularity due to his Crucible one the other year, and rightfully so. He played well, and is certainly one to watch.

I guess my question is this; "Anthony McGill certainly has the potential to win the World Championships. Who thinks he will turn that potential into a Crucible win?"

I hope he doe, personally.

By doe, I mean does.

That made me sound like I was from Birmingham.

"I doe think he'll win it." rofl
Last edited by SnookerFan on 10 Aug 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:

My prediction is that he will, but give it a minimum of five years yet. Experience seems key these days.

Indeed it is.

His game is well suited for a possible Crucible crown.

Atm I'd say Kyren Wilson, McGill and Michael White are the most likely winners of a World Champs being born in the 90s.

Postby Wildey

theres so many players that come and go with potential world champion written all over them case in point Jimmy White and it doesent happen.

We are still waiting for Maguire, Ding Junhui, Judd Trump, Mark Allen, Luca Brecel etc etc to fullfill that promice if all thoes potential champions wins that will take us up to 2021 at least then we got Murphy, Robbo, Ronnie and Selby all capable to add more to their tally.

someone will be disappointed never destined to win and Anthony McGill could easily be one of them.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Indeed it is.

His game is well suited for a possible Crucible crown.

Atm I'd say Kyren Wilson, McGill and Michael White are the most likely winners of a World Champs being born in the 90s.

I'm undecided on Michael White's Crucible credentials just yet. Obviously a talent, but want to see him more at the business end of a ranking tournament.

Kyren Wilson is an interesting one. Won the Shanghai Masters, but since then has the weight of expectation. He hasnt quite built on the momentum like I'd hoped.But these things are easier said than done, of course. He's won in Shanghai, no reason why he can't win more ranking events.

Postby SnookerEd25

At this stage, I wouldn't say he looks like a future World Champ. Solid, very good player, but lacking that little something that makes the difference. However, if you'd have asked me 10 years ago, i'd have said the same about Stuart Bingham.

So - in a nutshell - who knows? :shrug:

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:At this stage, I wouldn't say he looks like a future World Champ. Solid, very good player, but lacking that little something that makes the difference. However, if you'd have asked me 10 years ago, i'd have said the same about Stuart Bingham.

So - in a nutshell - who knows? :shrug:

Good discussion.

The moderators like it when you give complete answers to this thread. <ok>

Postby TheSaviour

People really needs to get their checked if thinking Mark Selby and similar players like Mark Selby will just give it away. It is truth that any sort of changes are a very much possible BUT it will never happen that Mark Selby would just give it away. I don´t care anymore what that or that player name might be, but they really need to get their head checked if thinking something utterly rubbish. It must be remembered when making predictions and so on.

Ronnie has talked about retiring from the sport for ages. And how bored he is with the game. But the truth is that he never will outdo anyone with an attitude like that. So obviously it isn´t his real attitude. Or it might be but he needs to change it soon. Because that´s what life is all about. Trying to outdo people. It also is the truth that finally it doesn´t matter if you have outdone people or not. So it works both ways, you can´t lose even if having a wrong attitude. But it is only a beneficial trying to outdo people. As long as you are playing. That´s the correct attitude.

Postby mick745

He has a good chance certainly and in an era when no single player dominates it is very possible. But there are many other pros of similar ability who also have a great chance. The likes of Joe Johnson, Shaun Murphy, Peter Ebdon, Graeme Dott and Stuart Bingham have their names on the trophy and 'outsiders' will win it again. All professionals need to just seize the opportunity if and when it arises before they are overtaken by better up and coming youngsters.

Having said that I can't see anyone under the age of 25 winning the WSC any time soon unless they are of exceptional ability (e.g. another Ronnie). Experience now counts for an awful lot.