Post a reply

Re: Commentators

Postby SnookerFan

I have a feeling we discussed this before. I was as surprised as you.

Did I read somewhere that she also refereed?

Postby vodkadiet

I hope she was a better referee than she was a commentator!

Postby vodkadiet

Going back to the match. Knowles said afterwards that he went to a nightclub after the first session. He was back on the table at 10.30am! I remember him also saying he went to a nightclub after the first session of his match with Parrott in '84. He was 3-6 down in that match though!

Postby pasunegirafe

I hope the BBC gets rid of Virgo and/or Taylor soon. Preferably, Virgo first. I'm getting a bit tired of his shouting. And I feel that Taylor interacts with the crowd too much, always goading them to clap: "and I'm sure the audience will give him a huge applause for this wonderful break of 50" :roll:. Always makes me wonder if the people wearing those radios would still react the way they do if Taylor wasn't talking in their ear.
And they both have the tendency to start narrating what's happening in the match: "player is walking round the table", "he's getting down on the shot, he's playing it", "well, you can see he didn't like that", "he's trying to decide what shot to play" :zzz: .
It's not bad if it's once in a while, but they do it constantly. It's just bad commentating.

But I'm guessing most viewers find their shtick funny, so the BBC will probably keep them on for a while.

Postby vodkadiet

pasunegirafe wrote:I hope the BBC gets rid of Virgo and/or Taylor soon. Preferably, Virgo first. I'm getting a bit tired of his shouting. And I feel that Taylor interacts with the crowd too much, always goading them to clap: "and I'm sure the audience will give him a huge applause for this wonderful break of 50" :roll:. Always makes me wonder if the people wearing those radios would still react the way they do if Taylor wasn't talking in their ear.
And they both have the tendency to start narrating what's happening in the match: "player is walking round the table", "he's getting down on the shot, he's playing it", "well, you can see he didn't like that", "he's trying to decide what shot to play" :zzz: .
It's not bad if it's once in a while, but they do it constantly. It's just bad commentating.

But I'm guessing most viewers find their shtick funny, so the BBC will probably keep them on for a while.

It s like an 'old boys network'. BBC tried Dene O'Kane once and he was excellent. But some reason they never kept him. Maybe he couldn't commentate full time. He probably lives back in Kiwi land, but they need more ex players of recent times commentating.

Postby SnookerFan

Ebdon is doing alright, in my opinion. Though, they should minimise the amount of time he spends commentating on Ali Carter.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:Ebdon is doing alright, in my opinion. Though, they should minimise the amount of time he spends commentating on Ali Carter.

And ban him from ever again mentioning Organic Banana Smoothies...

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Ebdon is doing alright, in my opinion. Though, they should minimise the amount of time he spends commentating on Ali Carter.

And ban him from ever again mentioning Organic Banana Smoothies...

rofl rofl

More interesting than golf.