Post a reply

Re: Will Trump win the World this year ?

Postby Sickpotter

Have to say no, Trump is having a lot of issues with consistency and nothing is a bigger test of sustained form than the WC.

Also when struggling with consistency one will also struggle with confidence which one can't be lacking in to win a WC.

Postby Dan-cat

In his interview after his win over Gouldy Balls last night he was really down on himself regarding his confidence levels. 'I'm playing terrible' are the words he used. He really shouldn't be even thinking these thoughts and especially not saying them out loud as these thought patterns do not serve him in anyway. He needs someone like Terry to help on the mental side. But not Terry, as his client book is full right now.

Postby stateofwonder

Dan-cat wrote:In his interview after his win over Gouldy Balls last night he was really down on himself regarding his confidence levels. 'I'm playing terrible' are the words he used. He really shouldn't be even thinking these thoughts and especially not saying them out loud as these thought patterns do not serve him in anyway. He needs someone like Terry to help on the mental side. But not Terry, as his client book is full right now.

I remember in an interview after a match during the Masters Stephen Hendry said exactly the same thing. He also reckoned at Trump's age there should be absolutely no need for psychiatrists of any sort because it should be a 'win win win' mentality. He generally applies his own philosophy to everyone and find they all come up short. Is he toning down in this tournament?

Postby Cheshire Cat

Tbqh I think Trump should go back to playing his do-or-die brand of snooker from when he first broke through in 2011. He's become so much less aggressive. I remember ROS in an interview (I think it might have been 2013 when he beat Trump in the World semi) saying he didn't fear Trump anymore because he played a more percentage game, that it took away that 'unpredictable' factor he had.

Don't get me wrong, Trump is still a good player on his day, but he's just a poor man's Murphy right now -- neither of them are great at safety, but Murphy unlike Trump is sticking to his strength and playing his ultra aggressive game, which has gotten him results.

Postby TheRocket

Cheshire Cat wrote:Tbqh I think Trump should go back to playing his do-or-die brand of snooker from when he first broke through in 2011. He's become so much less aggressive. I remember ROS in an interview (I think it might have been 2013 when he beat Trump in the World semi) saying he didn't fear Trump anymore because he played a more percentage game, that it took away that 'unpredictable' factor he had.

Don't get me wrong, Trump is still a good player on his day, but he's just a poor man's Murphy right now -- neither of them are great at safety, but Murphy unlike Trump is sticking to his strength and playing his ultra aggressive game, which has gotten him results.

I agree. But even the agressive Trump in 2011 was making these deep-screw backs all the time with his long pots and kept ending close on the baulk cushion a lot. But he was a much better potter back then which eventually gave him the opportunity to score at some point.

But that's always been his weakness and still is. He could learn one or two things from Hendry.

And 4,5 years without any Triple Crown title must be a painful thing, considering that this guy should be at his peak now and winning titles everywhere.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:
Cheshire Cat wrote:Tbqh I think Trump should go back to playing his do-or-die brand of snooker from when he first broke through in 2011. He's become so much less aggressive. I remember ROS in an interview (I think it might have been 2013 when he beat Trump in the World semi) saying he didn't fear Trump anymore because he played a more percentage game, that it took away that 'unpredictable' factor he had.

I agree. But even the agressive Trump in 2011 was making these deep-screw backs all the time with his long pots and kept ending close on the baulk cushion a lot. But he was a much better potter back then which eventually gave him the opportunity to score at some point.

But that's always been his weakness and still is. He could learn one or two things from Hendry.

And 4,5 years without any Triple Crown title must be a painful thing, considering that this guy should be at his peak now and winning titles everywhere.

Coulnd't agree more TR, after 2011, it's baffling really Judd hasn't managed to win at least one more Triple Crown event. Like you say, he should be at the peak of his powers now, but no, he has failed to deliver time and time again.

I'm certainly not fussed about it as I never particularly liked him, I like him a bit more now because he has matured a bit.

Ding is definately the one I hope wins many more Triple Crown titles and of course the Big one of them all.

Postby Wildey

i don't think Judd is very confident in his own ability.

Hes the most accurate long potter ever but because he constantly plays long pot deep screws shots all the time in case he misses, instead of playing stun for blue or run through for black he doesent give his talent a chance to shine under pressure.

You must always play to your strength and Judd never really has.

in 2011 WC had he played confidently like Hendry or Ronnie does under pressure he would have beaten Higgins and been World Champion but he was over hitting long pots playing them as shot to nothing screw back that meant he missed and gave John Chances to win.

Postby SnookerFan

Ronnie79 wrote:There is no way trump is the most accurate long potter of all time. He thrashes at balls a lot. Very hit and miss

Trump's style encourages fluke, in my opinion. He bashes at balls, so if he misses, they're rebound with such force the fluke is always possible.

Postby Wildey

Ronnie79 wrote:There is no way trump is the most accurate long potter of all time. He thrashes at balls a lot. Very hit and miss

that what i mean

the amount of long pots he gets by thrashing balls is unbelievable if he would play shots for something he would get a hell of a lot more pots