Post a reply

Will Stuart Bingham's season be saved if he wins China Open?

Postby SnookerFan

It's not a secret that Bingham hasn't set the world alight as World Champion. He's felt the weight of expectation a bit too much, I feel.

But he did just come within a frame of winning the World Grand Prix. Assuming he doesn't break the "Crucible Curse", would winning in China slightly make up for his bad season? Would it save it? Or would it depend on how far he goes in Sheffield?

Re: Will Stuart Bingham's season be saved if he wins China O

Postby Cheshire Cat

No one has ever won the Worlds and the China Open in the same season, I believe. Winning the China Open would be like a double curse on Bingham just like it was for Selby, trying to become the first 'first' winner to defend the Worlds!

I'm sure he'd love to win anyway. Winning just one event a year makes a 'successful season' these days, or so the pros say in their interviews and I think Bingo would be the first to admit this season hasn't been great.

It's just one season though, every player has their ups and downs.

Postby votesforgoats

I think the problem has been him not getting deep enough into tournaments as opposed to just not winning any; it's a huge disparity between expectation and reality. Well, I mean you might be forgiven for expecting him to win something as world champ, but my point is he's had so many early exits and only in the grand prix and the masters (which was only due to two wins..) has he really got to the "business end" of tournaments as they say as far as I can remember.
So if he did win the China Open I still wouldn't say it saves his season. Would kind of like to see him break the crucible curse after so many poor tournaments though. If only to annoy the people who say Bingham is terrible and forget just how many frames it takes, and how much consistent excellence it took for Bingham, to win the WC...can't really fluke it

Postby SnookerFan

votesforgoats wrote:I think the problem has been him not getting deep enough into tournaments as opposed to just not winning any; it's a huge disparity between expectation and reality. Well, I mean you might be forgiven for expecting him to win something as world champ, but my point is he's had so many early exits and only in the grand prix and the masters (which was only due to two wins..) has he really got to the "business end" of tournaments as they say as far as I can remember.
So if he did win the China Open I still wouldn't say it saves his season. Would kind of like to see him break the crucible curse after so many poor tournaments though. If only to annoy the people who say Bingham is terrible and forget just how many frames it takes, and how much consistent excellence it took for Bingham, to win the WC...can't really fluke it

<ok>

Postby Cheshire Cat

Dan-cat wrote:I'd like to see him beat the Crucible Curse so people stop talking about it like it's an actual thing

I don't know what's worse: Bingham not breaking it and letting the BBC continue to talk about the curse, or for him to break it, and the BBC can then talk about him forevermore much like the 1985 final.

Postby TheRocket

Hard too say.

I think, for the majority of the Snookerfans it would depend on how far he goes in Sheffield. I mean, that's always been the case/reality if you're the defending champion. Especially as a first time-world champ defender.

If you lose in the first round a lot of people will tell you that it was just a fluke last year and you never do it again and things like that.

But if I was Bingham my season would be definitely saved in case of winning in China. Winning a ranking tournament in the season is a success you can be proud of, especially in todays Snooker with this 128 flat system.

Postby Dan-cat

Cheshire Cat wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:I'd like to see him beat the Crucible Curse so people stop talking about it like it's an actual thing

I don't know what's worse: Bingham not breaking it and letting the BBC continue to talk about the curse, or for him to break it, and the BBC can then talk about him forevermore much like the 1985 final.

Buck me this is a very good point. 'Stuart Bingham, the man who beat the crucible curse' every WC until we die along with a ten minute feature about it that they repeat every MSI

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
Buck me this is a very good point. 'Stuart Bingham, the man who beat the crucible curse' every WC until we die along with a ten minute feature about it that they repeat every MSI

They'd probably replace Dennis Taylor with Bingham on commentary duty.

Postby PoolBoy

He was 50/1 at the start of last year's World Championship!
(2nd paragraph from:)
http://www.sportinglife.com/snooker/new ... allen-jibe
Just reminded in that paragraph who he beat last season to win it - Dott, Trump, Murphy, Ronnie....
Totally merited the title. You just can't 'fluke' beating all those players at the Crucible in the same fortnight!