Post a reply

Re: Has Ronnie Under Achieved?

Postby Cheshire Cat

TheSaviour wrote:I don´t think he has under achieved.

But what I would love to see would be Ronnie O´Sullivan and Kyren Wilson being on a collision course. The present versus the future. Ronnie versus the red-hot Kyren Wilson. The Essex man still holds that unrivalled flair and precision. But Kyren got bit that, too, and he can be a slightly more machinery-like than O´Sullivan.

I can´t see Judd being able to compete with Ronnie if they have that long exhibition matches - series. I would really like to see Judd playing really good, but.. Too many buts there.

Seems that I finally have got a really powerfull ally with Kyren.

Am I the only one that got massive Star Wars vibes from this? Calling Kyren an 'ally'; makes himself sound like the Emperor, and Kyren to be the next Darth Vader or something. <laugh>

Postby Andy Spark

I remember when the brilliant comedian and satirist Peter Cook (probably also bipolar) died in 1995 the media accused him of underachievement too; Stephen Fry, his great friend, was rather upset by this attitude. He said: "Why writers and commentators have to write and talk about exceptional individuals like they're composing a school report is beyond me?" I think we should take on board Fry's point and not refer to a five times world champion as being an "under achiever", even if Ronnie does it himself. I think it's slightly condescending.

Postby SnookerFan

Andy Spark wrote:I remember when the brilliant comedian and satirist Peter Cook (probably also bipolar) died in 1995 the media accused him of underachievement too; Stephen Fry, his great friend, was rather upset by this attitude. He said: "Why writers and commentators have to write and talk about exceptional individuals like they're composing a school report is beyond me?" I think we should take on board Fry's point and not refer to a five times world champion as being an "under achiever", even if Ronnie does it himself. I think it's slightly condescending.

Slightly delay in saying this, but for once I agree with you.

Ronnie is a five time World Champion, six time Masters winner and has had the UK five times. In total he has 28 ranking titles (and counting.) Calling him an underachiever trvialises his achievements somewhat, even if it's meant as a compliment.

Ronnie's talent is there for all to see, irregardless of anything else. It's never going to be in any doubt, even if he was to retire tomorrow.

Postby Andy Spark

SnookerFan wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:I remember when the brilliant comedian and satirist Peter Cook (probably also bipolar) died in 1995 the media accused him of underachievement too; Stephen Fry, his great friend, was rather upset by this attitude. He said: "Why writers and commentators have to write and talk about exceptional individuals like they're composing a school report is beyond me?" I think we should take on board Fry's point and not refer to a five times world champion as being an "under achiever", even if Ronnie does it himself. I think it's slightly condescending.

Slightly delay in saying this, but for once I agree with you.

After years of unrequited love... :party: