Post a reply

Re: 1000 career centuries. When will Ronnie make it happen?

Postby Wildey

My personal opinion is theres too much emphasis on Centuries and Maximums these days..

Marco Fu has made 100 more than Steve Davis but who has titles and who is the legend?

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:My personal opinion is theres too much emphasis on Centuries and Maximums these days..

Marco Fu has made 100 more than Steve Davis but who has titles and who is the legend?

Ronnie has the titles, is a legend, and is the greatest breakbuilder this game has ever seen. <ok>

Postby Holden Chinaski

Andre147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:My personal opinion is theres too much emphasis on Centuries and Maximums these days..

Ronnie has the titles, is a legend, and is the greatest breakbuilder this game has ever seen. <ok>

<laugh> :clap: <ok>

In the Steve Davis days the cloths and balls were different so we cant compare the century and maximum break records with players of this era... If Steve Davis was in his prime now on todays tables, he would be making a lot more centuries and maximum breaks than back in the day I assure you.

Break building is a form of art. It's great to watch a master breakbuilder make a century and it doesn't get any better than seeing a 147 break. It really shows how talented a player is in the break building department.

Postby Pink Ball

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

In the Steve Davis days the cloths and balls were different so we cant compare the century and maximum break records with players of this era... If Steve Davis was in his prime now on todays tables, he would be making a lot more centuries and maximum breaks than back in the day I assure you.

Correct. I'd say if multiplied the amount of centuries he hit in the 80s by 1.5 or even 2, you'd have an idea of what he'd have hit if his prime had happened in the 00s.

Postby Cloud Strife

Pink Ball wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Correct. I'd say if multiplied the amount of centuries he hit in the 80s by 1.5 or even 2, you'd have an idea of what he'd have hit if his prime had happened in the 00s.

If a similar tour to what we have now existed back in the 80s, Davis would have about 60-70 ranking title wins under his belt. I have no doubt about that. The man was so far ahead of his rivals, even more so than Hendry probably.

Postby vodkadiet

Why are the commentators so obsessed with century breaks? A 90 break is just as important. In fact all that matters is winning the frame.

I expect O'Sullivan to make another 300 centuries. Not that it matters a jot.

Postby Cloud Strife

vodkadiet wrote:Why are the commentators so obsessed with century breaks? A 90 break is just as important. In fact all that matters is winning the frame.

I expect O'Sullivan to make another 300 centuries. Not that it matters a jot.

No, but they can be enjoyable to watch.

Postby Andre147

In theory, it's harder to make a 100 than making an 80 or 90 isnt it? It involves potting more balls.

I know full well some frame winning breaks are sometimes even harder than making a century, but in general, making a century break is harder because like I said involves more pots.

This is the main reason century breaks, and Ronnie's record, should be given full credit.

Postby Alex0paul

Cloud Strife wrote:I'd rather a million 147 breaks and no other breaks over 10 than have 1000 centuries.

But by having 1000000 147 breaks you would have 1000 centuries though

Postby Cloud Strife

Alex0paul wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:I'd rather a million 147 breaks and no other breaks over 10 than have 1000 centuries.

But by having 1000000 147 breaks you would have 1000 centuries though

I'm not bothered about the maths, I'm just pointing out what I'd prefer.

Postby Ronnie79

Funny how you say this as a Hendry fan was no problem when he had the records

Postby Holden Chinaski

Ronnie79 wrote:

Funny how you say this as a Hendry fan was no problem when he had the records

:spot on:

Postby Holden Chinaski

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Although Ronnie will reach 100 first, I believe that he will be left behind by Selby & Trump in the longer term.

What about the 147 breaks? I think Ronnie will hold that record for a very long time. Ding might be able to keep up with Ronnie if he keeps making 147 breaks for the next ten years...

Postby Dan-cat

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:Although Ronnie will reach 100 first, I believe that he will be left behind by Selby & Trump in the longer term.

What about the 147 breaks? I think Ronnie will hold that record for a very long time. Ding might be able to keep up with Ronnie if he keeps making 147 breaks for the next ten years...

Yeah, if he remembers to not pot a blue instead of a black.

Postby Cloud Strife

Doubt it. They're going to need Ronnie to start slowing down soon which doesn't look like happening in the foreseeable future. His scoring power is as good as it's ever been.

Postby Alex0paul

They've both already made 100...