Post a reply

Come here to me, what's the worst ranking tournament?

Australian Open
26%
Shanghai Masters
6%
UK Championship
12%
Welsh Open
12%
PTC Finals
24%
The Grand Prix
18%
The China Open
3%

Total votes : 34

Re: Worst ranking tournament?

Postby Wildey

PLtheRef wrote:The fact that the PTC Finals are supposedly moving to a Best of 11 semifinal and best of 19 final might improve it somewhat though it runs the risk of turning the ITV events (shootout excepted) into the same thing.

Voted for the Australian and Welsh Open's. Australia is simply played in what should be the close season for snooker hence why you get several top players giving it a miss. At that time of year a pro isn't looking for full rankers. Maybe the odd invitational as Wuxi was originally It'd be better served either by having it a non ranking invitational giving the chance of more Australians getting pro tournament experience besides Robertson and Calabrese or by moving it to after the Shanghai Masters. Thailand and China used to be back to back no reason why these can't be.

The Welsh Open becoming more and like a PTC in playing best of 7 in the early rounds and loads of games making the first couple of rounds harder to follow is to its detriment and seems to give it almost a ongoing status of being the likely candidate SD should the full rankers be trimmed.

With the Home Series from next season I'd hazard a guess this year might well be the last Welsh Open with a Best of 17 final. - perhaps a home series of best of 7 followed by a Best of 11 final for 2017

Mate for Snooker to be global it has to be played all year round Australia for instance they dont want a tournament in December when its summer there.

i like the Aussie Open along with the German Masters its my favorite tournament of the last few years its got a great small venue atmosphere ...in China events i dont get the same buzz i get when watching the Aussie Open.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

The Aussie Open looks ok on TV at times, at least better than the Chinese events do. It probably would work better as a non-ranking event with 16 players, 12 top players, two aussie wildcards and two Asian ones. The Wuxu Classic was the same. It looked like becoming an 12 player event like the Irish/Scottish Masters used to be and would have been better that way.

The Welsh Open and Uk Championship are still good tournaments. It's just that they have too many players and would work better with 64.

The Chinese events are ok but really should be a lot better considering the hype. Plus playing first round matches in England two months before makes it look second rate. The same applies to the German Masters.

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:The Welsh Open. They only have 10k for a 147 prize.

Is that what you'd buy if you had 10k?

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:The Welsh Open. They only have 10k for a 147 prize.

Is that what you'd buy if you had 10k?

:emb:

Postby 151kbar151

Now I vote for PTC finals, but worst ever were Malta Cup and Bahrain Championship rofl