Post a reply

Anyone remember this?

Postby Prop

I remember this as possibly the funniest thing I've personally heard from commentary during a match.

It involves John Virgo, and Mark Williams. I don't recall who was commentating alonside Virgo, nor do I recall who Williams was playing. I'm pretty sure it was a while before audience earpieces were introduced. As a very rough guess, it could be 15 years ago, and likely in one of the 'big three' tournaments.

So, here's what happened.

Mark Williams is at the table, and finds himself overstretching on a shot. He gets up from the shot and strolls towards his chair, bending down to pick up his small, screw-in cue extension.

Once he picks up the extension, it's clear to Mark that there's something on it, maybe a residue, something sticky. The obviously bemused Williams wipes down the cue extension, before gingerly giving it a sniff and reacting with a soured, shocked expression.

Right at this point John Virgo says...

"I don't want to know where THAT'S been!!!"

Commentary immediately fell tellingly silent for a good few minutes, while I imagine Virgo and his co-commentator cried in hysteria, as I (and no doubt anyone else watching at home) did at the time.

Truly, genuinely funny.

Yet, I can't find it anywhere. I can't remember the match, the tournament, or even the decade.

If anyone remembers it, or better still has a link to the footage, please share.

Re: Anyone remember this?

Postby SnookerFan

Ermm... No can't help you. Don't remember that, at all.

I hope that was a real match, or it's going to look like you had a dream about Mark Williams shoving a cue implement up his bottom.

Re: Anyone remember this?

Postby Dan-cat

Me either, and I've watched *every* possible funny moments snooker compilation going, several times...

Re: Anyone remember this?

Postby Prop

Dan-cat wrote:Me either, and I've watched *every* possible funny moments snooker compilation going, several times...


Maybe it's not on a compilation?

Re: Anyone remember this?

Postby Pink Ball

This was a point of Williams' comedic life that's very dear to my heart. I do of course remember it!

The humour that he displayed here was new territory for an artist who had been consumed by satire and surreal sketches up to that point. But the ever-restless Williams had grown tired of lampooning and ridicule by then. He duly distanced himself from this approach without warning, but with much success.

It's not that he 'let go' of his dark persona - that remains very much intact even today - but it was about ambition. Toilet humour had long since become stale territory for comic inspiration - or so we all thought.

Williams made it work. I never thought I'd laugh at something like that, but his timing and pathos was extraordinarily taut and elegant. The crowd laughed uproariously, and looked at each other in amazement. They must have felt like the lucky few who got to see Nirvana play to a tiny audience at Sir Henry's in Cork back in 1991.

It was the regeneration of a dormant genre.

That was very much his first major shift in direction. Of course, we all know that by the mid-noughties he began to delve into observational work, with marked success, and his present-day approach centers on uncomfortable, challenging but worthy black comedy - largely through his work with the brilliant Stephen Hendry and the influence of George Carlin.

Don't be surprised if another change in direction takes place soon - Williams is a master!

Re: Anyone remember this?

Postby Smart

Pink Ball wrote:This was a point of Williams' comedic life that's very dear to my heart. I do of course remember it!

The humour that he displayed here was new territory for an artist who had been consumed by satire and surreal sketches up to that point. But the ever-restless Williams had grown tired of lampooning and ridicule by then. He duly distanced himself from this approach without warning, but with much success.

It's not that he 'let go' of his dark persona - that remains very much intact even today - but it was about ambition. Toilet humour had long since become stale territory for comic inspiration - or so we all thought.

Williams made it work. I never thought I'd laugh at something like that, but his timing and pathos was extraordinarily taut and elegant. The crowd laughed uproariously, and looked at each other in amazement. They must have felt like the lucky few who got to see Nirvana play to a tiny audience at Sir Henry's in Cork back in 1991.

It was the regeneration of a dormant genre.

That was very much his first major shift in direction. Of course, we all know that by the mid-noughties he began to delve into observational work, with marked success, and his present-day approach centers on uncomfortable, challenging but worthy black comedy - largely through his work with the brilliant Stephen Hendry and the influence of George Carlin.

Don't be surprised if another change in direction takes place soon - Williams is a master!

:bowdown: rofl :bowdown:

Re: Anyone remember this?

Postby Prop

SnookerFan wrote:Did we ever get to the bottom of this? Pardon the pun.


No, but it won't go away. Virgo might be coming to my local club to chip in on a Ronnie exhibition in March; if so I'll ask him. And try and get it on vid. That'd shut up some of the 'comedians' on here.

Re: Anyone remember this?

Postby Smart

Prop wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Did we ever get to the bottom of this? Pardon the pun.


No, but it won't go away. Virgo might be coming to my local club to chip in on a Ronnie exhibition in March; if so I'll ask him. And try and get it on vid. That'd shut up some of the 'comedians' on here.


I think I can safely say we have all had endless sleepless nights thinking about this "anyone remember this ?" thread topic. I literally am exhausted physically and mentally trying to recall this hilarious gag.

Can you not get in contact with Virgo sooner rather than later, perhaps by telephonic phone conversation ....???

This matter needs resolving, I am a nervous and sleep deprived wreck as a result solely of this thread.

RSVP

Smart / ADC :wave:

Re: Anyone remember this?

Postby SnookerFan

Smart wrote:
Prop wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Did we ever get to the bottom of this? Pardon the pun.


No, but it won't go away. Virgo might be coming to my local club to chip in on a Ronnie exhibition in March; if so I'll ask him. And try and get it on vid. That'd shut up some of the 'comedians' on here.


I think I can safely say we have all had endless sleepless nights thinking about this "anyone remember this ?" thread topic. I literally am exhausted physically and mentally trying to recall this hilarious gag.

Can you not get in contact with Virgo sooner rather than later, perhaps by telephonic phone conversation ....???

This matter needs resolving, I am a nervous and sleep deprived wreck as a result solely of this thread.

RSVP

Smart / ADC :wave:


Is that why you're asking me if it's okay to have a drink at half past nine in the morning?

Re: Anyone remember this?

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:
Smart wrote:
Prop wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Did we ever get to the bottom of this? Pardon the pun.


No, but it won't go away. Virgo might be coming to my local club to chip in on a Ronnie exhibition in March; if so I'll ask him. And try and get it on vid. That'd shut up some of the 'comedians' on here.


I think I can safely say we have all had endless sleepless nights thinking about this "anyone remember this ?" thread topic. I literally am exhausted physically and mentally trying to recall this hilarious gag.

Can you not get in contact with Virgo sooner rather than later, perhaps by telephonic phone conversation ....???

This matter needs resolving, I am a nervous and sleep deprived wreck as a result solely of this thread.

RSVP

Smart / ADC :wave:


Is that why you're asking me if it's okay to have a drink at half past nine in the morning?


Its the only way of coping until this hilrarious gag is properly recalled. :wave:

Re: Anyone remember this?

Postby Prop

Smart - do one. If you're only interested in cracking bad jokes and frankly taking the p**s, do it in another thread.

I just asked if anyone remembered it, which somehow got misconstrued as a calling for all idiots to get on their soap boxes and convince everyone they're hilarious.

You're not. You're something very different. Do one.

Re: Anyone remember this?

Postby Smart

Prop wrote:Smart - do one. If you're only interested in cracking bad jokes and frankly taking the p**s, do it in another thread.

I just asked if anyone remembered it, which somehow got misconstrued as a calling for all idiots to get on their soap boxes and convince everyone they're hilarious.

You're not. You're something very different. Do one.


Seriously, I'm calling on you to phone Virgo and get to the bottom of this important hilarious gag topic thread. Like I have mentioned my whole life has been turned upside down due to this thread. I'm hardly sleeping and I'm nervous as hell.

Please resolve this issue, FOR ALL OUR SAKES.

God bless you. :wave: