Post a reply

Will Ronnnie at least win one World Title in his 40s?

Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes : 29

Re: Will Ronnnie win the World Title in his 40s?

Postby Cloud Strife

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Master Blaster wrote:There may be one more in Ronnie, maybe. But it's a long tournament and he gets fed up too easily, so probably not. But if anyone can, a genius can.

People have been saying this for at least ten years.

I've been saying it since 1992.

Postby Master Blaster

Cloud Strife wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Master Blaster wrote:There may be one more in Ronnie, maybe. But it's a long tournament and he gets fed up too easily, so probably not. But if anyone can, a genius can.

People have been saying this for at least ten years.

I've been saying it since 1992.

True, but he was 30 ten years ago. But if Bingo can, Ronnie can. It's all about getting his mind right for the long haul in the Crucible. + practicing a lot + Steve Peters. If these three can be aligned, yes, he can do it. But you never know with Ron, even Ron doesn't know which Ron will turn up. That's the problem. Of course, we all wish him well in the quest as the best player ever.

Postby Paddpotter

He can if he wants but winning a world title at 40+ would take some mental strength tbh. You look at Phil Taylor in darts but he's a total different animal to Ronnie. I'm not really sure he would want to put himself through all that at this stage. He will never win 2-3 more and either equal or better Hendry so why put himself through that to equal second placed Davis on 6? He's got nothing left to prove he is by most peoples opinion the best snooker player ever.

so probably no

Postby Cue Guru

Paddpotter wrote:He can if he wants but winning a world title at 40+ would take some mental strength tbh. You look at Phil Taylor in darts but he's a total different animal to Ronnie. I'm not really sure he would want to put himself through all that at this stage. He will never win 2-3 more and either equal or better Hendry so why put himself through that to equal second placed Davis on 6? He's got nothing left to prove he is by most peoples opinion the best snooker player ever.

so probably no

He will be at the worlds because the ranking points you get from the prize money there is huge, it can make a season for a player by itself. ROS needs to stay top 16 if only to be invited to the Masters, so he's gotta turn up to some events if he wants to classed as a top player. The Worlds is one, even if he goes out at the quarters he's still cemented his top 16 place.

Postby Andre147

Paddpotter wrote:He can if he wants but winning a world title at 40+ would take some mental strength tbh. You look at Phil Taylor in darts but he's a total different animal to Ronnie. I'm not really sure he would want to put himself through all that at this stage. He will never win 2-3 more and either equal or better Hendry so why put himself through that to equal second placed Davis on 6? He's got nothing left to prove he is by most peoples opinion the best snooker player ever.

so probably no

I do agree with you that if Ronnie truly wants to, he can definately win one more World Title and equal Davis, but as you say, he has absolutely nothing left to prove.

He did waste his chance of possibly equalling Hendry's record by losing the 2014 Final, had he won that one, I'm more than sure his desire to equall Hendry would have been huge.

But yes Ronnie can definately win one more before he puts his cue away from competitive Snooker for good.

Postby mantorok

Snooker Overdrive wrote:With Ronnie playing like he does at the moment, it's hard to see how it wouldn't happen.

Was going to say earlier I think that he's priming himself for the WC at the moment. If he can maintain this level he has a great chance.

Postby Master Blaster

I don't think he's peaking too early. He just doesn't like the Worlds, staying in Sheffield, being away from home and the kids, not having his good habbits and food prefs and how long it goes on for. To him it's like sitting in an airport for a day waiting for a plane; immensely boring.

Postby TheSaviour

The bottom line is, if something worked 10 years ago, it will a very likely work now too. I am not the right person to analyse why it is so since I don´t think it like that. But I always support only the ideas which I see that have ALL SORT of advantages to the person who uses the idea / have invented those ideas. Then it will benefit all the people. That makes me a pretty good "coach" because I will be there supporting those ideas every day, not a part-timer by any means.

So, yes, certainly Ronnie is now a big favourite to win the worlds again. I don´t know where that form he had in Wales came from,. He don´t have that imperious form always, not even close. But now when he has once again gathered it he is going to require some stopping. There seems to be only a handful of players who can realistically live with him and go punch and counterpunch.. I would name perhaps at least Joe Perry, Mark Selby and Kyren Wilson. Joe particularly can progress like a train.

Postby Dan-cat

Oops yes good point - I have just read that global post from Roland. I couldn't resist that one - the Saviour has a compelling style of writing.

I don't think I can improve on my last contribution to this thread 'well he's hardly gonna win one in his 30s'

Postby mantorok

NNear wrote:And what of John Higgins? Seems to me that almost everybody assumes he's done at the WSC, yet he's one of the players of the season thus far.

Seasons count for nothing, look what happened to Ding when he won nearly everything, burnt out at the WC.

Like many tournaments in the sport, it's all on the day.

Postby elnino

Whether Ronnie succeeds or fails to win another World title depends on what thoughts he entertains in his own mind. His mind set whether positive or negative, believing or fearful, dreaming or doubting will determine his destiny.

Any success in life is developed and determined by the thoughts we think on a continual basis. We are what we think! Thoughts and results are the exact same thing. The most talented sportsmen/women are those who train their minds to focus, believe, and think anything is achievable.

Is refusal to score a 147 the action of a focused mind? Over time, Ronnie’s actions have become habits; and pose a major obstacle to his future success.

He needs to go back to the drawing board and regain his ability to control his thoughts into actions that lead to success.

Postby SnookerFan

TheSaviour wrote:The bottom line is, if something worked 10 years ago, it will a very likely work now too. I am not the right person to analyse why it is so since I don´t think it like that. But I always support only the ideas which I see that have ALL SORT of advantages to the person who uses the idea / have invented those ideas. Then it will benefit all the people. That makes me a pretty good "coach" because I will be there supporting those ideas every day, not a part-timer by any means.

So, yes, certainly Ronnie is now a big favourite to win the worlds again. I don´t know where that form he had in Wales came from,. He don´t have that imperious form always, not even close. But now when he has once again gathered it he is going to require some stopping. There seems to be only a handful of players who can realistically live with him and go punch and counterpunch.. I would name perhaps at least Joe Perry, Mark Selby and Kyren Wilson. Joe particularly can progress like a train.

:goodpost:

Postby Dan-cat

elnino wrote:Whether Ronnie succeeds or fails to win another World title depends on what thoughts he entertains in his own mind. His mind set whether positive or negative, believing or fearful, dreaming or doubting will determine his destiny.

Any success in life is developed and determined by the thoughts we think on a continual basis. We are what we think! Thoughts and results are the exact same thing. The most talented sportsmen/women are those who train their minds to focus, believe, and think anything is achievable.

Is refusal to score a 147 the action of a focused mind? Over time, Ronnie’s actions have become habits; and pose a major obstacle to his future success.

He needs to go back to the drawing board and regain his ability to control his thoughts into actions that lead to success.

Elnino, have you heard of Dr Steve Peters?

Postby Dan-cat

elnino wrote:I must admit I hadn't heard of Dr Steve Peters until DAN-CAT mentioned his name.

Sounds an interesting fellow gauging from his Wikipedia entries.

He really is. His book the Chimp Paradox is brilliant.

Steve has been working with Ronnie since 2011 in regard to all aspects of his mental approach to his game, and life, since 2010 - when he was losing in the first round of every tournament. Steve helped Ronnie to win his 4th and 5th world titles.

Postby Muppet147

Paddpotter wrote:Not much of a betting man so does anybody know what kind of odds I'd get on Ronnie winning the worlds right now. Or any of the others who have a legitable chance of winning it?

I think you are trying to say legitimate, dumbass. <ok>

Postby Paddpotter

Muppet147 wrote:
Paddpotter wrote:Not much of a betting man so does anybody know what kind of odds I'd get on Ronnie winning the worlds right now. Or any of the others who have a legitable chance of winning it?

Wow Muppet by name Muppet by nature. Plus dumbass is not a word you absolute tool.

Postby Muppet147

Paddpotter wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:

Wow Muppet by name Muppet by nature. Plus dumbass is not a word you absolute tool.

Whatever you say, dumbass.