Post a reply

Re: My major gripe with snooker

Postby Smart

Pink Ball wrote:Boys I'm sick of repeating myself too, but it seems like one person after another cant believe I think the masters is a cockerel flavoured lollipop of a tournament

You say it as many times as u like brother. I feel strongly myself that we have been rogered by Hearn.

:wave:

Postby Pink Ball

Smart wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:Boys I'm sick of repeating myself too, but it seems like one person after another cant believe I think the masters is a cockerel flavoured lollipop of a tournament

You say it as many times as u like brother. I feel strongly myself that we have been rogered by Hearn.

:wave:

We're snooker's answer to Rage against The Machine :wave: won't pull the wool over my eyes unless it's in the name of kink :wave:

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:
I've wondered many times :wave:

Think of all the animals you ever heard about
Like rhinoceroses and tigers, cats and mink
There are lots of funny animals in all this world
But have you ever seen a panther that is pink?
Think!
A panther that is positively pink!

Well here he is, the Pink Panther
The Pink Panther
Ev'rybody loves a panther that's pink
He really is a groovy cat
And he's a gentleman, a scholar, he's a acrobat

He's in the pink, the Pink Panther
The rinky-dink panther
And it's as plain as your nose
That he's the one and only, truly original
Panther pink from head to toe
That he's the one and only, truly original
Panther Pink Panther from head to toe!

Postby Joethe147

Yeah it's a big shame that the UK was reduced in match length. Definitely is less of a big tournament as a result even though it is still, naturally, a major one.

I do enjoy the Masters and do think of it as a major tournament but it's not hard to see why someone would think otherwise.

I liked the suggestion of possibly restoring the UK if it went to ITV. There has been talk, as I've seen discussed on here, of the BBC having to make cuts to snooker which seems unthinkable. But so was F1 going to Sky, or at least I found it hard to imagine it happening and well, it happened.

Postby Wildey

barrydoherty54 wrote:I think the hardcore fans will always prefer the longer sessions but the part time fans which make up the bigger numbers will prefer the 1 session snooker.

Speaking personal I know of several friends and even the brother who watch all the major snooker tournaments but never/rarely will watch the first sessions in the worlds.

I don't have the figures but I would say the difference between 1st Session/2nd Session would be why Barry Hearn prefers the 1 session snooker.

theres no evidence at all to back that up.

they just want us to believe that and my friend so many are falling for it.

Postby vodkadiet

The reduction in frames in The UK Championship is the worse thing to have happened to snooker.

Postby SnookerFan

vodkadiet wrote:The reduction in frames in The UK Championship is the worse thing to have happened to snooker.

It was so we could put all matches on television. <ok>

Postby PLtheRef

SnookerFan wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:The reduction in frames in The UK Championship is the worse thing to have happened to snooker.

It was so we could put all matches on television. <ok>

Which is certainly what we get now when we have less than a quarter of the tournaments matches given the full match coverage

A few could live with a move to best of 11 frame matches if it was to accommodate all the games on TV - but the fact remains is that the tournament isn't as relished as it was - and in moving the tournament to 128 players at the venue with plenty of games behind closed doors - it's undermined the very reason why it went to 11 frames in the first place.

Postby SnookerFan

To be fair, though I don't entirely agree, I can see where Pink Ball is coming from.

I think The Masters is a good tournament, but it is just a prestigious invitational. When you had the BO17 UK Championships the month before The Masters, they seemed to compliment each other more. The Masters is the glam tournament where each match is one-table, and each match is top-16. It's like a final in every match. That's it's selling point. But the UK felt like serious business in comparison.

Now the UK Championship is reduced to best of 11s it loses it's luster, and just seems to be a version of The Masters with more players/tables. Which is then followed by the, erm, proper Masters.

The second biggest ranker of the year should have a slightly above The Masters feel. Nowadays, it doesn't. It feels like an inferior tournament.

Postby Muppet147

SnookerFan wrote:To be fair, though I don't entirely agree, I can see where Pink Ball is coming from.

I think The Masters is a good tournament, but it is just a prestigious invitational. When you had the BO17 UK Championships the month before The Masters, they seemed to compliment each other more. The Masters is the glam tournament where each match is one-table, and each match is top-16. It's like a final in every match. That's it's selling point. But the UK felt like serious business in comparison.

Now the UK Championship is reduced to best of 11s it loses it's luster, and just seems to be a version of The Masters with more players/tables. Which is then followed by the, erm, proper Masters.

The second biggest ranker of the year should have a slightly above The Masters feel. Nowadays, it doesn't. It feels like an inferior tournament.

Agree with that. They should also have the final of the UK over the old 31 frame distance - or even just best of 25.