Post a reply

The BBC and Red Button Features

Postby SnookerFan

I know this was on Twitter at 8am. I know that posting news on here that's already been discussed elsewhere is seen as an outrage by some. And I must be stoned, hung and quartered for posting stuff you probably already know about....

But, I figured this was an important article to discuss, so I am posting it again.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc/120 ... ision.html

Looks like BBC's snooker coverage will be shrinking. Having already reduced snookers red button coverage, they are now getting rid of it all together. <doh>

Granted, the commentary on the BBC is dire. Virgo and Co barely know what snooker is, and yet are paid to be experts in it. However in my opinion, the more snooker on freeview, the better. Sure, if it was on Sky Sports the analysis would be better. But is snooker in a fit state to turn away fans who can't afford, or don't have Sky Sports?

Do ITV4 have the resources or desire to host a tournament such as the World Championships?

Discuss.

Re: The BBC and Red Button Features

Postby SnookerFan

"However, he will pledge that the corporation’s drama output – which includes shows such as Wolf Hall and Doctor Foster - will be protected. "

Well, thank buck for that.

Two shows I've never heard of are being saved. :gag:

Postby Cloud Strife

The BBC are a joke. They get funded by the British public, nor do they have any commercial pressures which other broadcasters do. Yet for all that they always seems to be cutting costs. Does not makes sense.

Their sports offering is laughable and is at an all time low. If they get rid of the snooker, I'm going to see if there is a way to cancel BBC channels from my television.

Postby Andre147

They have even lost recently the Open Championship in Golf to Sky Sports.

It's a sad state of affairs like Smart put it, seems like the only tournament they bother doing a proper broadcast is Wimbledon.

I so wish they too lost Wimbledon to Eurosport, ES has 3 Majors, just that one mising.

Postby SnookerFan

Ronnie79 wrote:In tennis eurosport does not have 3 majors. They have the aussie and french opens. The Beeb has Wimby and Sky has the Us open. ITV also covers the french btw

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:Looks like the BBC are dobbing in what's left of their F1 coverage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35149963

Surely, it can't be long before they do away with snooker?

I wish they'd do away with themselves, tbh.

How much did it cost to stage SPOTY last night? The BBC is an absolutely farcical institution.

Postby SnookerFan

Yeah, I aint watched the SPOTY in years. I caught the end of it last night, saw Andy Murray won, didn't really care.

If they want to save money from their sport budget, surely this should be the first thing that should go. Would it really be missed?

Postby SnookerFan

pasunegirafe wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Looks like the BBC are dobbing in what's left of their F1 coverage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35149963

Surely, it can't be long before they do away with snooker?

:hmmm: :-( noooo... I liked their coverage, even if they only showed half of all the races.

The BBC should think about getting rid of some of their snooker commentators...

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl