Post a reply

Lack of Live coverage from Finals

Postby Andre147

http://snookerhq.com/2015/09/21/change-the-channel/

The above link is such a well written article about the lack of Live coverage from major Finals like we saw last week at Shanghai Masters and the Australian Open this season as well.

I do understand that especially on Sundays there are other Live Sports besides Snooker, but sometimes it beggars belief that Europsort prefers to show non-live events instead of Live ones that often are indeed the Final.

Re: Lack of Live coverage from Finals

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:http://snookerhq.com/2015/09/21/change-the-channel/

The above link is such a well written article about the lack of Live coverage from major Finals like we saw last week at Shanghai Masters and the Australian Open this season as well.

I do understand that especially on Sundays there are other Live Sports besides Snooker, but sometimes it beggars belief that Europsort prefers to show non-live events instead of Live ones that often are indeed the Final.

:bowdown:

Postby Dan-cat

My belief is constantly beggared, however you can always watch online. In fact I don't even have a telly, I watch everything on my macbook.

Having said that I see no reason at all why their isn't commentary - I mean how much can Joe Johnson or Mike Hallet cost really?

Postby Wildey

I Was brought up in a generation where Live Coverage of snooker was very rare.

The only Day that saw uninterrupted Live Coverage during the 80s was the last day of the World Final.

I Remember the Masters final in 87 where Alex Higgins played Dennis Taylor and because the match went on a long time the only Live coverage of that Final was at around midnight during the 'Highlight Show' and me being a Alex fan had to watch it to the bitter end despite school the next day.

So having internet access to Finals or Snooker in general these days is fantastic and the amount of hours Eurosport dedicates to Snooker is more than any other sport so im not really fussed to be honest.

What does irritate me though when its suppose to be on and its not.

Postby Andre147

I knew some of the older members here, namely you or Roland for instance, would mention that, and I know full well back then Live coverage was very limited and only after the mid 90s did it become to be more regular.

But I subscribe word by word what that article I mentioned refered to, it annoys me so much when they don't show a live Final that often ends up being a Classic one, lol.

Postby sundaygirl

I think generally we have never had it so good as snooker fans, I remember when ceefax was your only hope for current information about snooker.

Postby Wildey

sundaygirl wrote:I think generally we have never had it so good as snooker fans, I remember when ceefax was your only hope for current information about snooker.

yea those was the days-

Mum and Dad watching something on the TV and me waiting for the adverts just to check Ceefax lol

Postby scMk

So, you want to say that because we had no live coverage in the dinosaur era, we should now be glad to have EuroSport broadcasting so much, much more live snooker than ever before? In other words, we should be happy for having that unique chance of witnessing that "huge" live coverage, totally neglecting the fact of not being able to follow the very culmination of a tournament - its final??? Come on!

Guys, snooker develops quicker than WS apparently comprehends and there is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with the new demand to NOT settle with missing finals. Yes, there are other sports, sure, but... BUT, have you seen what was on EuroSport during the first session of the Shanghai Masters final? I will tell you - Watts Zap... I was shocked! It just cannot be real...

About the internet and streaming matches on the computer - yes, but there are just too many people having only their TVs or having a bad internet connection and eventually they go from buffering and buffering, and buffering to ending up with following the live results only... Sad, isn't it? Looking at numbers during the final, but EuroSport proudly broadcasting their Watts Zaps...

PS: I never understood, why this strange WorldSnooker TV is only available in the UK (or in a real small number of countries only, if at all)???

WS can do much better. Not talking about arranging live tv coverage of finals only. But what about having 147's in official tournaments not recorded, not available, but only some bad video from the phone of some fan in the audience... Hello! We are in 2015! Where are you WS?

I believe, it is very easy to arrange TV coverage and to arrange recording and youtube-ing all matches of a tournament. Even if they want to have them uploaded with a delay of several days or so (because, one may say that having all matches on YT would make people not watch TV, i.e. TV would lose millions in ads and bla-bla...). But no. Appetite would only rise. Snooker is in a very special fruitful stage where it has to be stimulated, but not held away from its opportunities.

peace

Postby Andre147

This is a good post actually, that touches the most important aspects. I'll try and answer it in parts:

scMk wrote: In other words, we should be happy for having that unique chance of witnessing that "huge" live coverage, totally neglecting the fact of not being able to follow the very culmination of a tournament - its final??? Come on! BUT, have you seen what was on EuroSport during the first session of the Shanghai Masters final? I will tell you - Watts Zap... I was shocked! It just cannot be real...

Yeah I fully agree with you on this, how can Eurosport bother to show almost the entire tournament Live and then on the most important day of all, the Final, they are showing Watts Zap for the first session <doh> And yeah, just because back in the old days there wasn't even 1/3 of the live coverage there is nowadays, that doesn't automaticly man you we can't complain about the poor coverage from ES.

scMk wrote: PS: I never understood, why this strange WorldSnooker TV is only available in the UK (or in a real small number of countries only, if at all)???

It's not only available in the UK, in fact you can watch the LiveWorldSnooker.TV streaming anywhere. The main problem that you problem aren't aware about is that if the country you are in IS showing the event on TV, your streaming service won't work, it only works if your country IS NOT having that event Live. That's why most of the matches we watch on that service are the qualifiers, because the qualifiers are only shown there, and not on TV. Hope this explains it better.

But, in short, I agree with most of what you said in your post, yes we should be grateful a channel like Eurosport is having so many hours of Snooker as opposed to BBC for instance, but that doesn't mean like I said above we can't complain when things aren't done in a professional way.

Again, that article I mentioned at the beggining of this thread shows exactly my way of thinking on this matter, BUT I think in the future we'll see more Live Finals sadly missed by Eurosport that often are Classics.