Post a reply

Re: So...when is Ronnie O'sullivan playing again ?

Postby Andre147

masterdoctorgenius wrote:I miss him

You talking like you miss your girlfriend rofl

I too would like that he played in more events, but I'm not too fussed to be honest, plenty of other good players around and exciting Snooker, so yeah when he decides to play he decides, period. <ok>

Postby TheSaviour

So the present-day coffee baron finally bothered. But seriously, I see it as a great idea to play tournaments just during the winter. And obviously always Sheffield. It is just snooker, surely he has some better things to do during the summer and so. When he has so many times told how bored he is about snooker and threating to quit completely. But seemed like a cracking night, watched his facebook-page pictures from there.

Postby Gridlock

Dan-cat wrote:
Gridlock wrote:Getting into snookerjust since last crucible, I'veonly seen a small amount of Ronnie play live. In my opinion, there are so many good and upcoming players that could and do open up the sport for new fans.

Watch this masterclass Griddy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34fwoKa9jBo

Indeed, I watched this finally last night. Amazing to say the least.

Postby Wildey

boris_the_butcher wrote:All these 'exciting' players don't have world titles to back them up. they're just pretenders at this point. Ronnie back is important for commercial reasons.

Dont you think having Ronnie out of a event ads to the excitement.

Sometimes having him there ads to a sense of inevitability about outcomes of matches even established players is like Rabbits caught in headlights in owe of him and matches are boring to some extent.

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:
boris_the_butcher wrote:All these 'exciting' players don't have world titles to back them up. they're just pretenders at this point. Ronnie back is important for commercial reasons.

Sometimes having him there ads to a sense of inevitability about outcomes of matches even established players is like Rabbits caught in headlights in owe of him and matches are boring to some extent.

Very same thing in Davis and Hendry's era when opponents played against them. There was also that sense of inevitability.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Very same thing in Davis and Hendry's era when opponents played against them. There was also that sense of inevitability.

totally agree

Postby mantorok

Andre147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:

You need it in every sport it gives other players a standard to rise to. It's a good test of a players mental stability and to be honest I bet Judd isn't complaining after playing Ronnie enough times to beat him in a final.

The thing about Ronnie is no one plays the game so fluently it's not just about him winning or losing it's just that the guy is a walking textbook on how to play the game which is why people want him to win every time. The longer he stays out the game the less opportunity people today will get to witness that, which is a shame.

Postby Andre147

mantorok wrote:
You need it in every sport it gives other players a standard to rise to. It's a good test of a players mental stability and to be honest I bet Judd isn't complaining after playing Ronnie enough times to beat him in a final.

The thing about Ronnie is no one plays the game so fluently it's not just about him winning or losing it's just that the guy is a walking textbook on how to play the game which is why people want him to win every time. The longer he stays out the game the less opportunity people today will get to witness that, which is a shame.

yeah I agree, but don't forget Sport moves on mate, it can't be solely based on one player, because, cliché or not, no player is bigger than the Sport they play.

Postby PoolBoy

No, no - but I'm using it as a guideline to his attitude to snooker.
Aside from 'The Worlds', there's no bigger tournament than the UK - and if he elects to miss it, I think we can assume he's lost interest.

Postby Andre147

PoolBoy wrote:No, no - but I'm using it as a guideline to his attitude to snooker.
Aside from 'The Worlds', there's no bigger tournament than the UK - and if he elects to miss it, I think we can assume he's lost interest.

Yes I do agree with you, more so because he's the defending Champion no less.

He's more interested now in doing his radio shows and playing in pro-am events.

Postby SnookerFan

PoolBoy wrote:No, no - but I'm using it as a guideline to his attitude to snooker.

A few years ago, he missed all season apart from the Worlds. Then he won it.

His fans for most of the season: "Waaah, waah! Ronnie has given up. He hates snooker, he'll never win another tournament."

His fans for The Crucible : "Yeah, he loves snooker again." :party:

:zzz:

If he has no interest in snooker, just retire. Stop bucking everybody about.

Postby Andre147

masterdoctorgenius wrote:he made a max yesterday in an exibition match vs white

i am dying to see him playing again. it has been 5 long months wihtout him

Expect another 2 months without him, we'll only see him at UK I reckon.

Postby Andy Spark

SnookerFan wrote:If he has no interest in snooker, just retire. Stop bucking everybody about.

Ronnie's relationship with snooker is a bit like an alcoholic with alcohol. He can't "just" give up, as much as he can't play every event and expect to remain mentally healthy. That, in a nutshell, is the problem. People just have to accept it.

Postby Wildey

masterdoctorgenius wrote:he made a max yesterday in an exibition match vs white

i am dying to see him playing again. it has been 5 long months wihtout him

at the moment he doesn't want to compete in the Dog eat Dog of Pro Snooker hes just happy playing nothing matches.

Postby Pink Ball

Andy Spark wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:If he has no interest in snooker, just retire. Stop bucking everybody about.

Ronnie's relationship with snooker is a bit like an alcoholic with alcohol. He can't "just" give up, as much as he can't play every event and expect to remain mentally healthy. That, in a nutshell, is the problem. People just have to accept it.

Completely agree. When I was in my twenties, I spent over two hundred pound a week on porcelain dolls. People found out, and begged me to stop, but it took a few years to finally get any kind of control over my life. Every now and then, I still indulge in the occasional trip to the antique store and fall off the porcelain wagon for a few weeks. I always come back around, but those little fragile demons can still lure me in with their haunting vacancy.

Postby Andre147

Andy Spark wrote:

Yes very good analogy. <ok>

I have accepted that a long time ago, so I'm not at all too bothered if he plays or not. Of course I enjoy it when he plays, but if he doesn't then he doesn't, I'm a Snooker fan first and foremost.

Postby Andy Spark

Andre147 wrote:I'm a Snooker fan first and foremost.

Yes, so am I. I'd like to change the technical specs of the table and position of the reds at break, but deep down, I love snooker! :-)

Postby Wildey

Andy Spark wrote:
Andre147 wrote:I'm a Snooker fan first and foremost.

Yes, so am I. I'd like to change the technical specs of the table and position of the reds at break, but deep down, I love snooker! :-)

Holy rubbish <doh> <doh> <doh>

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:Completely agree. When I was in my twenties, I spent over two hundred pound a week on porcelain dolls. People found out, and begged me to stop, but it took a few years to finally get any kind of control over my life. Every now and then, I still indulge in the occasional trip to the antique store and fall off the porcelain wagon for a few weeks. I always come back around, but those little fragile demons can still lure me in with their haunting vacancy.

Have you considered asking TheSaviour for some life coaching advice?

Postby Dan-cat

Doing the Legend shows keeps his hand in and he's making money - he takes most of the gate. Why wouldn't he? You would, if you could. But you can't. Because you are not Ronnie. Only Ronnie is Ronnie. Not me. Or you. Only him. Ronnie = Ronnie, you not Ronnie. Cleared up? Good.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Doing the Legend shows keeps his hand in and he's making money - he takes most of the gate. Why wouldn't he? You would, if you could. But you can't. Because you are not Ronnie. Only Ronnie is Ronnie. Not me. Or you. Only him. Ronnie = Ronnie, you not Ronnie. Cleared up? Good.

Nothing wrong with him doing Snooker Legends events at all.

Though your comments that Ronnie O'Sullivan is the only person alive who can do Snooker Legends events confuse me. Who does he play against, if he's the only player capable of doing it.

I saw a Steve Davis vs Stephen Hendry Snooker Legends events once. Which one of them is Ronnie?