Post a reply

Your favourite Phil Yates stat

'My all-time rest usage statistics suggest that Shaun Murphy, on 86.32% career success, is the finest ever proponent of the implement. It depresses my wife that I know that.'
1
13%
'Of all the players on tour, Ronnie O'Sullivan has the highest number of mothers to his respective children. The figure stands at an average of two mothers to every three kids.'
1
13%
'According to my player profile statistics, Graeme Dott has gained the highest percentage of body weight for the 2014/15 season. He wins the Stephen Lee trophy.'
1
13%
'Ding Junhui has successfully completed 511 three-quarter ball canons throughout his career to date, both the highest total for any player in history, and the best in terms of season by season averages. I'm sure Ding is immensely proud of that.'
1
13%
'Mark Selby leads the tour this season in terms of most requests for both a change of cue ball, 7, and change of object ball, 2. His success rate for these requests stands at 9 out of 11, which trails Dominic Dale's glorious 6 out of 6 completion rate.'
1
13%
'Stephen Hendry has scored a career record 812,214 points in professional play, the only man to surpass the 800,000 mark. What a sexy runt.'
0
No votes
'Having collected all the players' bank details without their permission, I can safely say Ronnie O'Sullivan was lying when he said he couldn't put his kids through school.'
3
38%
 
Total votes : 8

Re: Your favourite Phil Yates stat?

Postby vodkadiet

"The highest percentage of rest shots missed by left handers who use the rest right handed occurred in qualifying for the 1995 German Open, where no fewer 41.73527876% of such shots were missed; although a lot of that was down to the low quality lighting at the venue, which was not up to the standard required under the EU directive set out in documents dating back to March 1977.

Re: Your favourite Phil Yates stat?

Postby Pink Ball

vodkadiet wrote:"The highest percentage of rest shots missed by left handers who use the rest right handed occurred in qualifying for the 1995 German Open, where no fewer 41.73527876% of such shots were missed; although a lot of that was down to the low quality lighting at the venue, which was not up to the standard required under the EU directive set out in documents dating back to March 1977.

Ah yes, that was a good one. Seems odd that I didn't include it, actually.

Re: Your favourite Phil Yates stat?

Postby vodkadiet

Pink Ball wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:"The highest percentage of rest shots missed by left handers who use the rest right handed occurred in qualifying for the 1995 German Open, where no fewer 41.73527876% of such shots were missed; although a lot of that was down to the low quality lighting at the venue, which was not up to the standard required under the EU directive set out in documents dating back to March 1977.

Ah yes, that was a good one. Seems odd that I didn't include it, actually.


There are so many to choose from that it is hardly surprising. There have been more Phil Yates stats quotes over the years than there were chess moves in Kasparov vs Karpov World Championship battle in the mid 80s. I wonder who is Chess's answer to Phil Yates?!!

Re: Your favourite Phil Yates stat?

Postby Andy Spark

Some of those stats are wrong, for instance, Steve Davis has scored more snooker points than Stephen Hendry. And if that sounds pedantic, then just think of the fuss people make of the number of centuries!

The fact is Phil doesn't know his facts half as well as people think; when asked if anybody had ever come back from 0-5 to win a best of 11 before, Phil's answer was an emphatic "don't know". This would seem to be a pretty obvious stat for a "stat" man. Also the stats he does know are pretty pointless half the time. For instance the ratio of centuries to frames is far more important than century count.

Re: Your favourite Phil Yates stat?

Postby Andre147

Andy Spark wrote:Some of those stats are wrong, for instance, Steve Davis has scored more snooker points than Stephen Hendry. And if that sounds pedantic, then just think of the fuss people make of the number of centuries!

The fact is Phil doesn't know his facts half as well as people think; when asked if anybody had ever come back from 0-5 to win a best of 11 before, Phil's answer was an emphatic "don't know". This would seem to be a pretty obvious stat for a "stat" man. Also the stats he does know are pretty pointless half the time. For instance the ratio of centuries to frames is far more important than century count.


I can't believe Phil didn't know the Best of 11 one <doh> rofl

Yeah I agree though, a lot of times his stats are a bit pointless really, but on the century front Ronnie still leads both of those.

With all the amount of tournaments and frames played now though Trump or Ding are likely to surpass Ronnie's tons tally when they reach their early 30s, but Hendry's and Ronnie's tons stats are much more significant to me because they played in much less competition and still managed to score as heavily as they did. Plus, even with the amount of tournaments nowadays, Ronnie hardly plays in half of them per season.

Re: Your favourite Phil Yates stat?

Postby vodkadiet

'The most facial hair ever seen at a qualifying venue was the 1993 World Championships qualifying (actually played in September 1992), when no fewer than 35 of the players sported beards of a week or older'.

Re: Your favourite Phil Yates stat?

Postby Pink Ball

Judd Trump had had no less than 71 instances where a referee has required help via television screen to replace the balls after a miss had been called. To put that into context, that's 17 less than John Higgins, who has been playing for over a decade longer. It's a very poor reflection on his ability to escape snookers, of that there is no doubt. Over those 71 instances, he has conceded 381 points! Where might he be today if it hadn't been for such carelessness.
Last edited by Pink Ball on 23 Apr 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Your favourite Phil Yates stat?

Postby Casey

He is actually turning into a really annoying commentator. He is ok in very small doses. Ever hear him bang on during the pool on sky? Every second sentence he brings snooker into it - really annoying!

Re: Your favourite Phil Yates stat?

Postby Andy Spark

Casey wrote:He is actually turning into a really annoying commentator. He is ok in very small doses. Ever hear him bang on during the pool on sky? Every second sentence he brings snooker into it - really annoying!

At least he tries hard and doesn't litter his commentary with grammatical errors. I much prefer Phil to most of the BBC boys.


BTW Thought it was amusing the way Hendry chided Virgo and Taylor for mispronouncing "Wishaw" (as in "John Higgins, the wizard of Wishaw"). Apparently it's pronounced "wo-she". It turns out they'd been mispronouncing it for years. Also, Wuxi, where Ding Junhui comes from is also pronounced "wo-she", so you could say there are two wizards from a place pronounced "wo-she". Dennis Taylor's head is sure to explode with that idea!

Re: Your favourite Phil Yates stat?

Postby SnookerFan

Casey wrote:He is actually turning into a really annoying commentator. He is ok in very small doses. Ever hear him bang on during the pool on sky? Every second sentence he brings snooker into it - really annoying!


He has an annoying voice. He makes it sound like he's explaining something extremely technical, even when he's just stating basic facts.

"And Ronnie. Rolls Up. Behind The Black. This Makes It. Difficult. For His Opponent. To Hit. The Next Red."

Re: Your favourite Phil Yates stat?

Postby Pink Ball

'Pink Ball has only been a Snooker Island member for 20 days, and already has 2 warnings from moderators. Not content with this remarkable record, by the law of averages he should have a staggering 18 warnings before the year is out. He really is making the moderators sing for their supper!'.

Re: Your favourite Phil Yates stat?

Postby GJ

Havnt listended to him much

SO the question has to be is he worse than dennis taylor :gag: :chin: :?

Re: Your favourite Phil Yates stat?

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:'Pink Ball has only been a Snooker Island member for 20 days, and already has 2 warnings from moderators. Not content with this remarkable record, by the law of averages he should have a staggering 18 warnings before the year is out. He really is making the moderators sing for their supper!'.


I'm not sure that's something to boast about. :gag:

Re: Your favourite Phil Yates stat?

Postby SnookerFan

GJ wrote:Havnt listended to him much

SO the question has to be is he worse than dennis taylor :gag: :chin: :?


The facts that Yates provides might not be very interesting, but at least they're about snooker and not golf.

Re: Your favourite Phil Yates stat?

Postby GJ

SnookerFan wrote:
GJ wrote:Havnt listended to him much

SO the question has to be is he worse than dennis taylor :gag: :chin: :?


The facts that Yates provides might not be very interesting, but at least they're about snooker and not golf.



Yates :bowdown:

Taylor :td: