Post a reply

Re: Jimmy White World Amateur Final 1980

Postby Roland

Excellent find Gallant, I had no idea it was televised. Jimmy winning the World Amateur at 18 is the stuff of legend. Very excited to have the chance to see this and I will savour it when I watch it which will be at some point over the Easter weekend.

:dance2:

Postby SnookerFan

armchair de critique wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
armchair de critique wrote:Bookmarked. :-D

You out of bed, Armchair?

Whack the snooker on, it's a ghost town in the main thread.

I am, BTW what time is it in China mate ? :wave:

Check the link, sir.

Postby Muppet147

SnookerFan wrote:
armchair de critique wrote:Bookmarked. :-D

You out of bed, Armchair?

Whack the snooker on, it's a ghost town in the main thread.

And SnookerTurd is up to his old tricks, trying to derail a good thread.

Postby armchair de critique

I watched some of this yesterday.

Ron Atkins really wasn't much opposition and when the coverage starts Jimmy already has a big lead. It was a big match in his early career, and its much more like the Jimmy we should all remember. He isn't lunging at the ball. His long game is super, although the pockets looked generous.

Funny seeing the table with no ball carriers - instead just the net pockets.

The ref also was quite slow at times.

Postby PoolBoy

Simply the best player never to have won the World Championship! With his talent, there should have been a few.
There are 'allegedly' off table activities that may explain why.
I would like nothing more than to see him qualify for Sheffield - he's only 3 matches away, and I can see him winning his first one - but sadly, I don't think he's got the game to make it all the way to the Crucible....

Postby Muppet147

armchair de critique wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:I watched it all.

White was superb.

It reminded me of some other dvd footage I have, White vs Higgins in UK champs, think it was 1985. Watchable but really its not great quality....compared to today IMVHPO.

I think I remember that White - Higgins match. White had about three centuries and won 9-6, I think.

Of course the quality is not the same as today. But given today's easier conditions, a teenage White would have ruled the world.