Post a reply

Re: Best player hasn't won a ranker?

Postby Vallomas

The_Abbott wrote:Matt Selt hasn't one won has he? But I guess we are only talking about top players.

We talk about players who have more than ten years on the tour and they are still there, had some success, but never managed to lift a trophy.

I think that Joe Swail is now the best player never won a ranker, but I 'm afraid that his great years have passed. Mark Davis still has a chance and I would like to see him winning one and so they can do Michael Holt and David Gilbert.

It’s interesting to see that those two (Holt and Gilbert) are the only players of the top 32 right now, except for much younger Zhou and Woolaston, who have never won a full ranking title.

Postby Wildey

jopesalmi wrote:Cliff Wilson was also a great player back then. Sad, that he passed away too young.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=SXhp1RpnRgI

Cliff Wilsons best days was before he turned pro but still a great player in his time but with only 5 quarter finals to his name there are other players more worthy of best player not to win a ranker

Postby Wildey

Andy Hicks must be in the Mix played in the semi finals of the World, UK and Masters

Postby SnookerEd25

Wildey wrote:Andy Hicks must be in the Mix played in the semi finals of the World, UK and Masters

I would definitely class him as the biggest under-achiever. So silky smooth when in full flow, a joy to watch.

Postby kolompar

Yeah, I was shocked that people said Holt, Gilbert, Mavis and Milkins so it was good to see a respected blogger agree with me on that one. And then he even mentioned Drago :D

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

5-1 Dean Reynolds
9-8 John Parrot
9-6 Jimmy White
18-11 Steve Davis

That was Gary Wilkinson's run to win the 1991 World Matchplay. The greatest achievement of any player who never won a ranking title. Morgan would be second. I'd consider an Irish or Scottish masters more prestigious than Riga or India.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:5-1 Dean Reynolds
9-8 John Parrot
9-6 Jimmy White
18-11 Steve Davis

That was Gary Wilkinson's run to win the 1991 World Matchplay. The greatest achievement of any player who never won a ranking title. Morgan would be second. I'd consider an Irish or Scottish masters more prestigious than Riga or India.

Wilkinson has to be a contender!