Post a reply

Re: Has John Higgins got a realistic chance of winning World

Postby Holden Chinaski

Wildey wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:I personally think it would be great to have a Ronnie v Higgins world final again. Clash of the titans.

I Dont.

Really cant fathom this wish for old players to still be competing at the top.

i really wish that a young player starts to come to the forefront at sheffield that's the life blood of the sport if they cant then im pretty depressed about the future.

Yeah, but the problem is there aren't any players around, young or old, who come close to the class of Higgins and Ronnie. If there were young players around playing on that same level I would like to see a final between them. I wish there were young players around playing like John Higgins, MJW, and Ronnie did when they were young, but there are non. There are great players out there, but not that special.

Higgins and Ronnie battling it out one more time in a world final would be the perfect ending of an era.

Postby Wildey

i do get that fans of a player wants that player to still be winning but cant understand why you would want Ronnie playing a 40 year old in a world final.

its the showcase of our sport and its not very encouraging for potential Sponsors to not see young players coming through.

its so important on all levels.

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:I'd quite like to see Ding win The Crucible, but not sure that he will.

Yes, that would be great. Would love that. Ding is an underachiever I think. He shoud have won more with the talent he has. I think if he would win the worlds, it would give him the confidence to go on and win more.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Wildey wrote:i do get that fans of a player wants that player to still be winning but cant understand why you would want Ronnie playing a 40 year old in a world final.

its the showcase of our sport and its not very encouraging for potential Sponsors to not see young players coming through.

You have a point, I get what you're saying. But I think the sponsors would love to see Ronnie in the final, 'cause they know when Ronnie's playing there are a lot more people watching.

In the end, we just need another young star. Somebody really special like Alex Higgins, Jimmy White, Ronnie... Until then, Ronnie is still the only real star in snooker now, except maybe Ding who is big in China. When Ronnie plays there are a lot more people watching on tv, that's just a fact.

Postby mantorok

Wildey wrote:i do get that fans of a player wants that player to still be winning but cant understand why you would want Ronnie playing a 40 year old in a world final.

Ronnie is still the biggest draw in the sport - so he is still relevant on all levels. However I totally agree with what you are saying, I'm disappointed that all the promising talent has failed to live up to their expectations, it is turning into an old-mans game at the moment when it used to be all about the young, care-free sensations blasting people off the table.

Hopefully it's just a phase, and I don't know why it's panning out this way, I personally think it's a generation-thing, not sure who said it here recently but there was mention of all the technology distractions with all this twitter and facebook crap that is distracting people from their jobs, I think that is definitely affecting concentration levels with some of the young hopefuls - it's like they care too much about their image and how they're portrayed rather than collecting silverware.

Postby Andy Spark

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Wildey wrote:
kolompar wrote:What Wild wants: young players
What Holden wants: old legends
What we actually get: Stuart Bingham <laugh>

rofl

:chuckle:

IMO Stuart Bingham's victory is a sign of snooker's change. It is a symptom of the clustering of good pros at the top, but each unable to consistently win because the regular large break sizes have led to a disruption of the sporting, bell-shaped "normal" distribution: Match win percentage on the x-axis and number of pros on the y-axis; for snooker, it is a graph with the hump now skewed to the right.

Postby Cloud Strife

Andy Spark wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Wildey wrote:

rofl

IMO Stuart Bingham's victory is a sign of snooker's change. It is a symptom of the clustering of good pros at the top, but each unable to consistently win because the regular large break sizes have led to a disruption of the sporting, bell-shaped "normal" distribution: Match win percentage on the x-axis and number of pros on the y-axis; for snooker, it is a graph with the hump now skewed to the right.

They need to make the pockets tighter and the cloths a little bit thicker. These easier tables have leveled the playing field far too drastically imo.

Postby Andy Spark

Cloud Strife wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Wildey wrote:

rofl

They need to make the pockets tighter and the cloths a little bit thicker. These easier tables have leveled the playing field far too drastically imo.

Absolutely!

Postby Andy Spark

SnookerFan wrote:Could you make your thoughts on tight pockets clearer, by publishing a graph demonstrating it?

Basics first. The most obvious problem comes in misunderstanding the nature of the normal bell-shaped distribution. People such as Dave Hendon seem to be suggesting that "strength in depth" leads to a change in its shape.