Post a reply

Will we see a century of centuries this season?

Yes
10%
No, but somebody will get close
20%
No, nowhere near
70%

Total votes : 10

Re: Will we see somebody get 100 Centuries this season?

Postby Wildey

Stephen Hendry could have with this amount of tournaments because he was dedicated and so driven with great cueball control but Ding with a great break building game winning 5 ranking events was still about 40 out last season so ill have to agree with sonny it would be a great achievement getting to about 80.

Postby Wildey

Muppet147 wrote:The only man with the ability to do it is Ronnie and he can't be bothered to play all these matches.

so by definition he hasent got the ability to do it.

you need to be bothered to play to have the ability.

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:The only man with the ability to do it is Ronnie and he can't be bothered to play all these matches.

so by definition he hasent got the ability to do it.

you need to be bothered to play to have the ability.

You know full well what he meant Wild, don't pretend you didn't. Ronnie last season didn't even play half the tournaments Robbo played and Ronnie still managed to get an amazing 53 tons. I'm not saying he was a cert to reach the 100 tons mark had he played in everything, but the chances would increase massively.
Same with Hendry when he was in his prime. Both Hendry and Ronnie have much better century rates than Robbo, and just because Robbo did manage that amazing feat last season Ronnie and Hendry will always be far better scorers than him, so yeah I agree with Muppet on this one, if Ronnie did play in all events like Robbo has it wouldn't take too long for him to reach that 100 mark and even break Robbo's record, especially with the crazy amount of tournaments we have nowadays.

Postby Skullman

Personally I don't think Ronnie would've done it. If he had to enter almost everything like Robbo did, he'd burn himself out. Just like you couldn't expect a runner to maintain their 100m pace for 400m, you can't really expect Ronnie to play as well as he did throughout the season as he did when he could pick and choose.

Plus you have to winder how much he'd actually bother for events like Wuxi or Haikou and some of the PTCs.

Postby Wildey

You could argue Ronnie would be a Usain Bolt entering a marathon and by quarter race running out of steam and seeing runners with stamina passing him.

to make 100 centuries you need stamina and true dedication which i think we have established Ronnie hasent got.

Postby SnookerFan

Skullman wrote:Personally I don't think Ronnie would've done it. If he had to enter almost everything like Robbo did, he'd burn himself out. Just like you couldn't expect a runner to maintain their 100m pace for 400m, you can't really expect Ronnie to play as well as he did throughout the season as he did when he could pick and choose.

Plus you have to winder how much he'd actually bother for events like Wuxi or Haikou and some of the PTCs.

Point is, we'll never know.

Ronnie's ability is not in any doubt. But he won't get a century of centuries in a season if he doesn't enter every event.

To be honest, I don't think he'll care. It's more of an achievement for show than anything else. Obvious statement though this is, winning titles means more.

Postby Wildey

i do think theres too much emphasis on making centuries these days.

Willie Thorne's famous line
"this match has had everything the only thing missing is a century"

if the match had everything it dont need a century

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:i do think theres too much emphasis on making centuries these days.

Willie Thorne's famous line
"this match has had everything the only thing missing is a century"

if the match had everything it dont need a century

They're nice to make as it can improve a player's confidence going into the next frame. It's especially nice to see if a player is two or three frames down, they come out and make a century. It shows a player is still up for it.

Besides, a player would rather come in and win a frame in one go, and keep his opponent sat in his chair getting no table time.

It's not the be all and end all though. As you say, a players first priority is to win. If he's not on for a big break, and has to win tactically, then that's what he must do. That's why John Higgins was so successful, for example. If he could win in one go, he did. If he had to go tactical, he did. If a player tried to slow him down, he didn't buckle and won the frame playing slow. He didn't care how he won, he could play any way and still win. That was the important bit.

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

Ronnie has neither the ability or the stamina to play a full season so talk of him hitting the ton breaks is pointless. I do think with the amount of tourneys played someone will beat it within 5 years.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:Personally I don't think Ronnie would've done it. If he had to enter almost everything like Robbo did, he'd burn himself out. Just like you couldn't expect a runner to maintain their 100m pace for 400m, you can't really expect Ronnie to play as well as he did throughout the season as he did when he could pick and choose.

Like SnookerFan said, we'll never know for sure, but maybe you're right, when Ronnie tends to play so much he often doesn't bother in tourneys like those in China for instance.

But as some here have said to say Ronnie doesn't have the ability to do it is just donkey doo talk, he's the most prolific breakbuilder ever, will surely surpass Hendry's record on career tons this season.

It's not about ability wise, he's the most naturally gifted player we've have seen in snooker, it's about how much he would really want that achievment, and it's clear for all to see he doesnt care much about that as he picks and chooses the tournaments he want to play.

And like SnokerFan rigthly said, I couldnt care less about those ton of tons, what matters most is the titles, and I just hope this long break means Ronnie will comeback hungry for more titles, just like he did last season.

Postby TheSaviour

Surely Ronnie has the stamina to do it, but I do agree that he needs some true dedication to do it. Or to even has a chance to do it. So Robertson is a some sort of a fitness and stamina miracle comparing to Ronnie..? Since he got that 100 last season.

I am a very interested to see how many Michael Georgiou will got and how he will progress. He well could have a real breakthrough season now!

Postby SnookerFan

TheSaviour wrote:Surely Ronnie has the stamina to do it, but I do agree that he needs some true dedication to do it. Or to even has a chance to do it. So Robertson is a some sort of a fitness and stamina miracle comparing to Ronnie..? Since he got that 100 last season.

I am a very interested to see how many Michael Georgiou will got and how he will progress. He well could have a real breakthrough season now!

No. It just means he could be bothered to enter all the tournaments, and try to do it. It's more to do with the fact that it's not an achievement that Ronnie particularly craves, than anything to do with Ronnie's fitness.
Last edited by SnookerFan on 19 Jun 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Alyt

TheSaviour wrote:Surely Ronnie has the stamina to do it, but I do agree that he needs some true dedication to do it. Or to even has a chance to do it. So Robertson is a some sort of a fitness and stamina miracle comparing to Ronnie..? Since he got that 100 last season.

Ronnie will never reach that record, and he doesnt want to reach it. Useless record.

To make it possible, he would have to become a "snooker slave" again and travel in shitty tournaments around China.

Postby Wildey

Alyt wrote:

Ronnie will never reach that record, and he doesnt want to reach it. Useless record.

To make it possible, he would have to become a "snooker slave" again and travel in shitty tournaments around China.

no he would have to turn professional which he obviously doesent want to do and stay a part timer which is his right.

but do not take a swipe at the tour as it stands sport is built around big and small events not shitty as you put it.

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

Ronnie has the stamina to run for hours on end but would struggle now doing a full season. He looked knackered during the wc final.

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:
Alyt wrote:

no he would have to turn professional which he obviously doesent want to do and stay a part timer which is his right.

but do not take a swipe at the tour as it stands sport is built around big and small events not shitty as you put it.

Yeah I definately agree, it's Ronnie's right not to enter the tournaments he doesnt want to and become a part time snooker player, thats fine.

And yeah the tour is heading in the right direction, I sometimes think some people would rather prefer to only have 6 tourneys a season like we had not so long ago before Hearn.

And as long as Ronnie is still hungry for titles I dont min him taking a snooker break at all, if it means when he comesback his desire is still there, if he does something similar this season like he did in the last then yeah the break can only be good for him.

Postby Roland

If he's the only man capable then how come someone else did it last season?

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:
Alyt wrote:To see a ridiculous celebration like Robo did this year, no thanks.

I was there and I loved the celebration and I wasn't the only one

I don't see why people reacted so badly to that. I mean, he achieved something nobody else had ever done, and he cheered.

What was the big deal? I thought that it felt like a big moment when it happened.

It was quite funny when Judd got the bottom though. rofl

Postby Alyt

Sonny wrote:Some armchair fans don't like to see passion

It's not about passion. Just about not celebrating something that he did during month at that particular moment.

I love 147's celebrations for exemple because it's something live.

He should have been more discreet, that moment was awkward.

Postby Skullman

Alyt wrote:
Sonny wrote:Some armchair fans don't like to see passion

It's not about passion. Just about not celebrating something that he did during month at that particular moment.

I love 147's celebrations for exemple because it's something live.

He should have been more discreet, that moment was awkward.

I'm not quite understanding your point. His 100th century was live and he celebrated it then?