Post a reply

Ronnie still hurt by losing the WC final

Postby masterdoctorgenius

i knew it. thad loss still has an effect on him

Ronnie writes wrote:Looking back, I'm more disappointed now than I was at the time about losing to Mark in Sheffield. At the time, I thought I was happy enough to have had a good run to the final. I was thinking it would have been nice to win at the time, but in hindsight I'm fairly disappointed that I didn't win it for a sixth time this year.

But I'm not going to pretend or kid myself on. I wasn't playing anywhere near the standard that I had achieved the previous two years when I won it fairly comfortably.

For whatever reason, I don't know. I struggled in the second round against Joe Perry before coming through 13-11. I think Shaun Murphy made it fairly easy for me in the quarter-finals because I didn't have to play well when I expected a tough match against him (13-3).

Barry Hawkins did not play at the levels in the semi-finals (17-7) he played at in the final the previous year against me. I think it caught up with me in the end playing against a player who was on form, and playing some good stuff. It was a step too far maybe for me.

I'd maybe have preferred to have lost in the first round rather than going 15 or 16 days, and failing to win it.

If I had been playing to a higher standard, I could have got in a bit earlier and avoided all those long frames in the final. I think I should have been further ahead than three frames on the Sunday night, but this is sport. You pay for missing chances when they come along.

It seemed that for every ball I was putting off the cushion, he was putting one back on it. I felt that I got dragged down to that sort of game.

If we played attacking frames, I'd be winning four to his one, but he would be winning three or four out of five if it went tactical.

That style suited him more than me, and I was unable to compete as well as I would have liked.

The worrying sign for me during the final was that there was no adrenaline going through my body.

Normally, when you go out to play, you are thinking you don't want to go out to get blown away by someone playing fantastic snooker.

I never really got that feeling from Mark. He wasn't going to blow me away because the frames were all long and drawn-out.

I didn't feel like I was involved in the match. I felt a bit numb. Every time I potted a ball, I wondered where my next colour, or red was coming from.

He was good at making it that type of game. So credit for him to be able to play that way, but it would never suit me.

ONLY WAY TO WIN MORE WORLD TITLES IS TO CONTINUE ATTACKING

I firmly believe that if you want to be a serial winner, a prolific champion and win many world titles, you have to attack the game and take it by the scruff of the neck.

I don't think I could play the way Selby plays and win five world titles. I don't think it would be possible.

If I had played against Stephen Hendry like that, he would have found a way of breaking it down, outscoring me and eventually beating me.

My philosophy has to be focused on attacking, and trying to win the world title rather than waiting for it to happen for you.

You score heavily, you pot well and you play good safety. That's how you do it. That is the recipe for success in snooker. I base my game on that philosophy.

I don't believe that being negative will pay off in the longer run. If I had waited for my opportunities and never taken any risks, I don't think I would have won one world title.

For me, I'm disappointed to lose that one final. But I've won five by taking risks, and I won't alter that mindset.

I've learnt that high-risk shots have become bread-and-butter for me to win the big tournaments.

You are always trying to raise the bar of what is possible on a snooker table. I have no regrets about my approach to the final.

I CONTINUE TO MODEL APPROACH ON BARCELONA, FEDERER AND WOODS

I will not compromise my ideals. It is like asking Barcelona to change their style of play when they suffer a setback. They obviously have the right approach because it has brought them numerous Champions Leagues and Spanish titles.

It is great to watch, and it is wonderful to be around to witness that stuff. I base my philosophy on wanting to play snooker the way that Barcelona approach football, the way Roger Federer plays tennis, the way Tiger Woods plays golf...these entertainers inspire me.

I want to be remembered as much as an entertainer as a world champion.

I don't want to be like a Chelsea or a Jose Mourinho with 11 men behind the ball trying to frustrate you, and then the boring team wins on the counter attack.

A result is a result, but I would rather do it in a manner that is pleasing to myself and pleasing to the many people who enjoying watching the game.

There are a lot of snooker fans, and it is nice for me to be able to win and entertain at the same time.

A lot of players are tired by the quarter-finals and semis at the World Championship, but most of the time when I'm there I feel like I'm down the club practicing.

That helps me to relax. I just like to get out and express myself on the table.

CAR CRASH WAS SCARY RATHER THAN SERIOUS

I'd like to thank all the people for their messages of support after the car incident. I know there was a lot of concern. I'm very grateful for that.

If it hadn't been on the M1 and hadn't been on the fast lane, it would have been a minor incident.

I got stuck on the fast lane, and couldn't get over to the hard shoulder.

I had my little boy with me. That was obviously the most dangerous aspect of it all.

Ronnie Jnr was a bit shaken up at the time, but he was fine.

If it had been on a side street, it would have been a nothing accident. It was just a bit more dangerous with cars going at a fair speed beside you, but it was made out to be a lot worse than it was.

It was scary for a moment when I hit the puddle. But it ended up feeling pleasant, believe it or not, because I just glided along. It wasn't a horrible thump, a crash or bang or flipping the car.

A wheel came off I think, and it just got stuck on the central reservation thing.

I could have stayed in Sheffield after the final, but I always travel during the night because I prefer avoiding the traffic.

I was wide awake. I wasn't nodding off at the wheel or anything. It was just unfortunate really. I could have drove for five or six hours.

It wasn't a problem with tiredness. I had been sitting in my chair for most of the day.

Let's face it...I didn't really do much during the day.

Re: Ronnie still hurt by losing the WC final

Postby Wildey

Personally i think Ronnie is kidding himself on how well he played last year ...nobody gave him a match and made it easy for him for me 2013 WC was the most depressing tournament ive seen.

Ronnie winning easy without getting anywhere near his best that it made him feel almost unbeatable and untouchable and that was echoed with how strong he was throughout the season.

Re: Ronnie still hurt by losing the WC final

Postby masterdoctorgenius

Wildey wrote:Personally i think Ronnie is kidding himself on how well he played last year ...nobody gave him a match and made it easy for him for me 2013 WC was the most depressing tournament ive seen.

Ronnie winning easy without getting anywhere near his best that it made him feel almost unbeatable and untouchable and that was echoed with how strong he was throughout the season.

So what did barry last year in the final. Barry would have beaten anybody else on those two days. But ronnie was in top form. And ronnie played some sublime snooker over the last three years and has every right to say how well he plays

Re: Ronnie still hurt by losing the WC final

Postby Jester82

masterdoctorgenius wrote:
Wildey wrote:Personally i think Ronnie is kidding himself on how well he played last year ...nobody gave him a match and made it easy for him for me 2013 WC was the most depressing tournament ive seen.

Ronnie winning easy without getting anywhere near his best that it made him feel almost unbeatable and untouchable and that was echoed with how strong he was throughout the season.

So what did barry last year in the final. Barry would have beaten anybody else on those two days. But ronnie was in top form. And ronnie played some sublime snooker over the last three years and has every right to say how well he plays


Yes, but he should not delude himself into thinking, that a WSC final is an easy gimme.
Last year, everything went for him, he brought it on and delivered as expected.

This year, he was undoubtedly the only one to pass on the way to the title, whereas others were not in question. Consider, what form Selby had before entering the tournament. The worst I have seen from him.
But Mark turned it around. He compensated what he was not able to deliver in terms of attacking. Only these crucible days count. And it was Ronnie entering in top form and not Mark. Why could ROS not deliver. Was he hampered or did his opponent in the final, who had the solid road to walk to the final, wear him down til he fainted?
It's easy saying, I was not near the standard I used to perform in the two years before, when excluding the fact that Selby was far inferior as to the seasonal perfomances.
Both had weak spots, both missed. I have seen Ronnie take on pots he usually doesn't.
It was a WC final, where everything is missible.

But if Ronnie fans keep believing, Selby's title is based on ROS weaknesses or him not geein it yaldi, they are fairly deluded and disrespectful.

Re: Ronnie still hurt by losing the WC final

Postby Holden Chinaski

It was obvious from the start of this world championship Ronnie was not in the same form as the previous years. Selby played great to win the title and all credit to him, but Ronnie was definitely not in the same form as 2012 and 2013.

Re: Ronnie still hurt by losing the WC final

Postby Jester82

Holden Chinaski wrote:It was obvious from the start of this world championship Ronnie was not in the same form as the previous years. Selby played great to win the title and all credit to him, but Ronnie was definitely not in the same form as 2012 and 2013.


Selby was obviously not in great form. He almost got knocked out by young Michael White, but did not achieve his prime form.

Re: Ronnie still hurt by losing the WC final

Postby mantorok

Holden Chinaski wrote:It was obvious from the start of this world championship Ronnie was not in the same form as the previous years. Selby played great to win the title and all credit to him, but Ronnie was definitely not in the same form as 2012 and 2013.


Ronnie only lost by 4 frames. Had he been playing as well as last year he would have won. But that's neither here nor there, he was pushed and couldn't up his game on the day, and that will probably bother him more than anything.

Re: Ronnie still hurt by losing the WC final

Postby vodkadiet

Of course it was a tough loss. When you're that far ahead in a World Final, and lose unexpectedly, then it will take time to sink in. Snooker after all only has 1 enormous event a year. If you're a tennis player, and you lose a grand slam final, you can make amends a lot sooner.

O'Sullivan spoke a lot of sense. He seems more level headed now, but losing from that position will stay with him, and may affect his chances of ever winning at The Crucible again.

Re: Ronnie still hurt by losing the WC final

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:Of course it was a tough loss. When you're that far ahead in a World Final, and lose unexpectedly, then it will take time to sink in. Snooker after all only has 1 enormous event a year. If you're a tennis player, and you lose a grand slam final, you can make amends a lot sooner.

O'Sullivan spoke a lot of sense. He seems more level headed now, but losing from that position will stay with him, and may affect his chances of ever winning at The Crucible again.


I agree with what you say there, Ronnie couldnt really compete with Selby on the safety department and fair play to Mark who did what he had to do to disrupt Ronnie's fluency and win the match. It all started with that missed black off its spot from Ronnie when he for some reason was checking the tip of his cue, after that Selby grew on confidence and he himself felt like he was almost winning the match when only 10-7 down the way he was playing.

But, despite what you say, I still believe Ronnie has 1 more World Title left in him, if not next year, one of his major goals is to win one in his 40s, and if he's desire is there he can do it.

However, if you say to me that this loss makes things very very tough for Ronnie to win 7 World Titles and be level with Hendry on that record, then I agree with you, this loss will hinder those chances. He had to win this one to have a realistic chance of winning 7 Worlds. But I can see him finish his career with 6, and after where Ronnie was in 2011 I would never dream of the things he has done recently, so hopefully this loss will mean Ronnie will comeback stronger, at least that's what I hope.

Re: Ronnie still hurt by losing the WC final

Postby vodkadiet

Andre147 wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Of course it was a tough loss. When you're that far ahead in a World Final, and lose unexpectedly, then it will take time to sink in. Snooker after all only has 1 enormous event a year. If you're a tennis player, and you lose a grand slam final, you can make amends a lot sooner.

O'Sullivan spoke a lot of sense. He seems more level headed now, but losing from that position will stay with him, and may affect his chances of ever winning at The Crucible again.


I agree with what you say there, Ronnie couldnt really compete with Selby on the safety department and fair play to Mark who did what he had to do to disrupt Ronnie's fluency and win the match. It all started with that missed black off its spot from Ronnie when he for some reason was checking the tip of his cue, after that Selby grew on confidence and he himself felt like he was almost winning the match when only 10-7 down the way he was playing.

But, despite what you say, I still believe Ronnie has 1 more World Title left in him, if not next year, one of his major goals is to win one in his 40s, and if he's desire is there he can do it.

His age is against him, but he has a rare talent and 7 world titles is still possible. I like his attitude now. He isn't reacting to the loss in a self damaging way. If he wins 7 it will be a monumental achievement.

However, if you say to me that this loss makes things very very tough for Ronnie to win 7 World Titles and be level with Hendry on that record, then I agree with you, this loss will hinder those chances. He had to win this one to have a realistic chance of winning 7 Worlds. But I can see him finish his career with 6, and after where Ronnie was in 2011 I would never dream of the things he has done recently, so hopefully this loss will mean Ronnie will comeback stronger, at least that's what I hope.


I think it is unlikely now than O'Sullivan will win 7 world titles. I think he knows that, and that this year's loss from such a strong position was a big chance missed.
Last edited by vodkadiet on 25 May 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Ronnie still hurt by losing the WC final

Postby Wildey

Its Always tough coming back from a set back but Ronnie is made of tough stuff as all great Champions are made of.

Look at 1999 World Championship to win that Hendry had to dust himself off a 9-0 drubbing by Marcus Campbell only 6 months earlier and a Semi Final lost to Billy Snaddon in March that year.

Great Champions bounce back.

Re: Ronnie still hurt by losing the WC final

Postby Holden Chinaski

Of course Ronnie will bounce back. People are making a very big deal of this. He lost a final. It happens. So he didn't perform a the worlds, no big deal. He's had a great season, winning the CoC, Masters and Welsh in great style.

If Ronnie keeps playing like he has done these last couple of years, and he keeps himself motivated and keeps practicing, I see no reason why he couldn't break Hendry's record of 7 world titles.

Ronnie is right, he needs to keep playing his attacking style of snooker. When he has an off day he might lose.But when he's in form he will blow everyone, including Selby, off the table. Like Alex Higgins, Ronnie has a passion for a certain type of snooker. Just like Alex did, Ronnie feels snooker should be played with panache! I'm glad he still feels that way. This doesn't mean they don't believe in playing safe, in fact Alex was a brilliant safety player and so is Ronnie, it's just about putting yourself on the line and wanting to play a game that is great to watch and is exciting. Like I said, panache.
Ronnie played his B game throughout this world championship and he still got to the final. Thats how easy it is for him. There is no other player who can destroy top 16 players and make it look so easy like Ronnie did in this years Masters and Welsh. At 38 yearsof age he still goes for the long pots and still wants to open up the balls and play an attacking game against young guys like Robbo and Ding who can pot long pots like it's nothing and can clear the table in two minutes. It takes guts to play like Ronnie does!

Re: Ronnie still hurt by losing the WC final

Postby Wildey

I Honestly cant see him potting Selby off the table because when Selbys on form Ronnie wont see many pots to go for. Playing Selby he has to be extremely patience and bide his time and compete with safeties.

Selby's Safety play in that final was immaculate at times and now as World Champion his confidence will be right up there aswell.

Re: Ronnie still hurt by losing the WC final

Postby Holden Chinaski

Wildey wrote:I Honestly cant see him potting Selby off the table because when Selbys on form Ronnie wont see many pots to go for. Playing Selby he has to be extremely patience and bide his time and compete with safeties.

Selby's Safety play in that final was immaculate at times and now as World Champion his confidence will be right up there aswell.

Selby doesn't play his A game all the time, just like Ronnie doesn't play his A game all the time. Ronnie blew Selby off the table in the 2014 Masters final. If Ronnie would have been in better form this year at the worlds, especially his safety game, he definitely could have beaten Selby.

Re: Ronnie still hurt by losing the WC final

Postby Wildey

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Wildey wrote:I Honestly cant see him potting Selby off the table because when Selbys on form Ronnie wont see many pots to go for. Playing Selby he has to be extremely patience and bide his time and compete with safeties.

Selby's Safety play in that final was immaculate at times and now as World Champion his confidence will be right up there aswell.

Selby doesn't play his A game all the time, just like Ronnie doesn't play his A game all the time. Ronnie blew Selby off the table in the 2014 Masters final. If Ronnie would have been in better form this year at the worlds, especially his safety game, he definitely could have beaten Selby.

maybe maybe not who knows its just speculation.

its not as if Selby beating Ronnie is a isolated case its happened before and it will happen again.

Re: Ronnie still hurt by losing the WC final

Postby Holden Chinaski

Sonny wrote:But he wasn't and Selby won

:win:

Indeed. All credit to Selby, great player. Brilliant tactician.

And Selby didn't play his A game in the Masters final, and Ronnie destroyed him.

Ronnie has beaten Selby before, playing his attacking game. Ronnie has won 5 worlds, 5 masters and 4 UK titles playing his attacking type of snooker. So I see no reason why Ronnie should change his game. He might lose on a bad day, but on a good day he will destroy his opponents. Ronnie has blown players like Hendry, Higgins, Williams, Ding and Selby off the table a couple of times. He can do it to anyone when in form. I would rather see him lose a match playing with panache, than see him win a match playing like Ebdon. (No offence to Ebdon, great player)

Re: Ronnie still hurt by losing the WC final

Postby Wildey

in Small events Prem League, PTC, Championship league, Shootout

Ronnie 7-2 Selby

in Bigger Events its 6-6

Re: Ronnie still hurt by losing the WC final

Postby Holden Chinaski

Wildey wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
Wildey wrote:I Honestly cant see him potting Selby off the table because when Selbys on form Ronnie wont see many pots to go for. Playing Selby he has to be extremely patience and bide his time and compete with safeties.

Selby's Safety play in that final was immaculate at times and now as World Champion his confidence will be right up there aswell.

Selby doesn't play his A game all the time, just like Ronnie doesn't play his A game all the time. Ronnie blew Selby off the table in the 2014 Masters final. If Ronnie would have been in better form this year at the worlds, especially his safety game, he definitely could have beaten Selby.

maybe maybe not who knows its just speculation.

its not as if Selby beating Ronnie is a isolated case its happened before and it will happen again.

Yes it will probably happen again. Just like Ronnie beating Selby is also not a isolated case and Ronnie will beat Selby again as well.

Ronnie doesnt like playing Selby, And Selby wants to prove himself against Ronnie. Its a great rivalry. A bit like The Nugget vs The Hurricane.

Re: Ronnie still hurt by losing the WC final

Postby Wildey

Absolutely

for me the Best rivalry for many many years it just makes your juices flow at the prospect of what this season will throw up between them.

I Think Selby will improve a great deal as World Champion and that will add to it.

Re: Ronnie still hurt by losing the WC final

Postby vodkadiet

Wildey wrote:in Small events Prem League, PTC, Championship league, Shootout

Ronnie 7-2 Selby

in Bigger Events its 6-6


World Championships 2-0 Selby. Both matches won from well behind.

Re: Ronnie still hurt by losing the WC final

Postby Andy Spark

Wildey wrote:Personally i think Ronnie is kidding himself on how well he played last year ...nobody gave him a match and made it easy for him for me 2013 WC was the most depressing tournament ive seen.

Ronnie winning easy without getting anywhere near his best that it made him feel almost unbeatable and untouchable and that was echoed with how strong he was throughout the season.

Yes, everybody knocks in six centuries during a match these days and manages to play World Championships with 93% pot success. Selby could have easily done it this year but opted to deliberately miss a few balls.


The fact is it's difficult to play at your best when a player is knocking in so many large breaks against you. You don't get the table time to be sharp and you know if you miss then Ronnie will probably clear up.

Re: Ronnie still hurt by losing the WC final

Postby Wildey

Statistics dont take in to consideration the amount of chances players missed against you for example if a player misses a black off the spot or a simple red the chances are a top player going to clean up that's another reason why pot % are high.

Re: Ronnie still hurt by losing the WC final

Postby Andy Spark

Wildey wrote:Statistics dont take in to consideration the amount of chances players missed against you for example if a player misses a black off the spot or a simple red the chances are a top player going to clean up that's another reason why pot % are high.

If Ronnie had won again this year and you'd made your point with reference to this year, I'd have completely agreed with you, but the events of the 2014 World Championship rather illustrate my own point; Ronnie still managed to get to the final and even be 10-7 up at one stage without playing as well as the previous couple of years. I think the extent of his progress this year is powerful evidence of not being at all lucky during 2013.