Post a reply

Steve Davis.... a snooker phenomenon

Postby Tubberlad

This man, at the age of 52, never ceases to amaze me....and his extraordinary achievement in later years are further mystifying when you place it alongside the struggles of Matthew Stevens and Judd Trump in recent days.

At 32, Stevens has already looked long over the hill. Trump was humiliated today by Tom Ford, and many are beginning to wonder whether he'll ever get going at all.

Davis' achievements have been largely overlooked in recent times in favour of Hendry, Higgins & O'Sullivan. This six-time World Champion, all-dominant in the 80's has become a slightly forgotten man in comparisson to his once iron grip on the game. Steve who?

But in recent days, I can only marvel at what he has done. While the like likes of Trump & Stevens struggle on, this guy keeps on going, akin to a Duracell Bunny in snooker terms.

A top 16 player at 50? Whatever people say about weak-era's, this is extraordinary. At 52, he's still in in the World's top 25.

He first qualified for the World Championship in 1979, and since then has only failed to qualify twice. This will be his 30th Crucible appearance, and it's spread across an astonishing 5 decades.

In 2005, he was just four frames away from winning the second biggest tournament on the calender, and reached as high as THIRD in the provisional rankings. In 2004, he really should have won the Welsh Open, losing 9-8 from 8-5 up against O'Sullivan.

Whatever people think, Davis is a legend. More professional titles than anyone else, but I feel his later career achievements speak for themselves. I myself like his dry wit, although not everything he says should be taken as gospel. Even he knows that.

But Davis is quite simply a phenomenon. Long live the Duracell Bunny.

Re: Steve Davis.... a snooker phenomenon

Postby Witz78

thetubberlad wrote:This man, at the age of 52, never ceases to amaze me....and his extraordinary achievement in later years are further mystifying when you place it alongside the struggles of Matthew Stevens and Judd Trump in recent days.

At 32, Stevens has already looked long over the hill. Trump was humiliated today by Tom Ford, and many are beginning to wonder whether he'll ever get going at all.

Davis' achievements have been largely overlooked in recent times in favour of Hendry, Higgins & O'Sullivan. This six-time World Champion, all-dominant in the 80's has become a slightly forgotten man in comparisson to his once iron grip on the game. Steve who?

But in recent days, I can only marvel at what he has done. While the like likes of Trump & Stevens struggle on, this guy keeps on going, akin to a Duracell Bunny in snooker terms.

A top 16 player at 50? Whatever people say about weak-era's, this is extraordinary. At 52, he's still in in the World's top 25.

He first qualified for the World Championship in 1979, and since then has only failed to qualify twice. This will be his 30th Crucible appearance, and it's spread across an astonishing 5 decades.

In 2005, he was just four frames away from winning the second biggest tournament on the calender, and reached as high as THIRD in the provisional rankings. In 2004, he really should have won the Welsh Open, losing 9-8 from 8-5 up against O'Sullivan.

Whatever people think, Davis is a legend. More professional titles than anyone else, but I feel his later career achievements speak for themselves. I myself like his dry wit, although not everything he says should be taken as gospel. Even he knows that.

But Davis is quite simply a phenomenon. Long live the Duracell Bunny.

Well said Tubber, and good to see it come from someone who wasnt even around to remember when Davis was the man to beat <ok>

The whole Ronnie - Hendry debate (that ive been a part of in the past :ashamed: ) has taken over peoples minds and clouded their judgement such everyone seems to write off the 80s as being part of the pre-modern era now with snooker only really starting in 1990 :huh2:

In Davis's heyday he was competing against an old guard of players in their 40s and 50s when this wasnt unusual. These guys dissapeared in the late 80s / early 90s and now 20 years on, he finds himself in this veteran stage of his career and easily the oldest player on tour, but still able to compete (when he puts in the effort) with most of the players on his day.

Its amazing how Hendrys ONE extra World Championship seems to count as almost double or treble when a Hendry - Davis comparison is done? A less nervy White would at least have taken one of Hendrys tally away, whilst had Davis's cut on the black in 85 dropped, then he could be the one with the 7-6 lead in World Titles, and probably classed as the greatest ever.

I dont deny Hendry is a far better potter and scorer than Davis, but Davis is an all round better player <ok>

Postby Rocket_ron

Witz78 wrote:Well said Tubber, and good to see it come from someone who wasnt even around to remember when Davis was the man to beat <ok>

The whole Ronnie - Hendry debate (that ive been a part of in the past :ashamed: ) has taken over peoples minds and clouded their judgement such everyone seems to write off the 80s as being part of the pre-modern era now with snooker only really starting in 1990 :huh2:

In Davis's heyday he was competing against an old guard of players in their 40s and 50s when this wasnt unusual. These guys dissapeared in the late 80s / early 90s and now 20 years on, he finds himself in this veteran stage of his career and easily the oldest player on tour, but still able to compete (when he puts in the effort) with most of the players on his day.

Its amazing how Hendrys ONE extra World Championship seems to count as almost double or treble when a Hendry - Davis comparison is done? A less nervy White would at least have taken one of Hendrys tally away, whilst had Davis's cut on the black in 85 dropped, then he could be the one with the 7-6 lead in World Titles, and probably classed as the greatest ever.

I dont deny Hendry is a far better potter and scorer than Davis, but Davis is an all round better player <ok>

end of the day davis has won more weak ere or no weak era

Postby Casey

You can't talk about IF's though, sure IF Hendry had of beaten Ebbo in 02? I also don't think its just 'one' world title that people base the argument on, some bang on about Hendry's massive H2H lead over Davis but i don't consider that. The overall majors victories as well as World Championship performances is what I take into account as well as the length of time Hendry remained in the top 4 and top 16.

Davis is a class act and I think that some people look at today's players and under estimate the impact that he would have had today. Not imo in the top 6 break-builders of all time but his all round game was sheer class, also a great professional to boot

Postby Tubberlad

Thanks for the praise Witz...I'm just dumbfounded as to why people forget about him so much, and discount him. I've watched countless Davis matches on YouTube, and although dull, he was a stunning player. And his achievements in recent years blow me away, more so than his 80s show.

However as for him being better than Hendry...I strongly disagree, but let's not turn it into that.

Davis <ok>

Postby Sickpotter

Isn't it the Energizer bunny? ;)

Davis is a legend and always will be.

IMO his still competing against the best in the world is a testament to two things:

1- What a great player he is,
2- How much this man loves snooker.