He's Done Alright But is Overhyped
41%
Pressure
12%
He Thinks He's All Great
18%
Bad Luck
No votes
Toughness of Circuit (ie Not Enough Events)
18%
He Has Achieved
6%

Total votes : 17

Re: Why Has Trump Been Unable to Achieve?

Postby Monique

wildJONESEYE wrote:ive known of Trump for 10 years he was touted as the next big thing before i ever herd of Ding .

mate he really should have done better than he has by now he has only reached 1 last 16 in a ranking tournament and even that he didn't have to win a last 32 to get there.

He's reached the semis in the 2008 GP ... but I agree, he hasn't met the expectations put on him. But expectations can be extremely unfair, and he's not responsible for the fans overhyping him; actually he's even the victim of that trend. He's not proven himself the next big thing, but he hasn't done badly for a 20 yo neither.

Postby Wildey

mon

the expectations on Trump was to win tournaments as a teenager thats the expectations he has done that in nothing tournaments but not reaching anywhere near what he should at top level events.

we cant blame the fact hes playing in qualifying conditions hes a big stage player because the 2 minor tournaments he won was played in qualifying conditions and not on a big stage so why hasent he moved forward with his career.

qualified to the crucible in 2007 thats 3 years reached 1 semi in 2008 thanx to dott hurting himself and Perry and Ronnie playing their worst matches of that season. since then theres been 11 ranking tournaments with Trump playing in only 5 last 32 and no last 16.

Postby Monique

Well as I said, he's overhyped, which means expectations put on him exceed his abilities. His abilities are OK though, just not exceptional. Same could be said about Michael White.

Postby Casey

Trump hasn’t failed to deliver anything. He reached the top 32 in his sport as a teenager winning a couple of titles along the way. He was 14 when other people were touting him as this and that.

At the end of the day it took a Stephen Hendry to win the world title at 21. We will see over the next 3 or 4 years where Trump is going in his career.

He is bang on in terms of development imo. He will only get better.

Postby Casey

the expectations on Trump was to win tournaments as a teenager

:huh:

The expectations were that he would be a strong force in the game, he could very well fulfil that role.

Your career is not defined by what you do in your teens…I refer back to Selby and Robbo who both had pretty poor results at that age (apart from Selby in one tournament) Now look how good there are. Its far too early to say Trump has disappointed, its laughable to even suggest so.

Postby Wildey

well only time will tell but my expectations on him now is nothing more than a jerneyman pro if he does something then ill re think it but he is well behind the 8 ball with his development.

Postby Bourne

He's well behind the likes of O'Sullivan and Hendry at respective age but to say he's not ahead of where he should be is definitely debatable, you need to take into account the lack of tournaments.

Postby Casey

Lack of tournaments is a big thing. Ronnie, John and Mark had hundreds of matches to play in during their first couple of seasons. Trump has had nothing like that.

I am expecting a big improvement this year from him :).

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:He's well behind the likes of O'Sullivan and Hendry at respective age but to say he's not ahead of where he should be is definitely debatable, you need to take into account the lack of tournaments.

mate hes behind not because of his age not because of trying to live up to Hendry or Ronnie.... hes behind because in 2007 was his breakthrough but hes not really moved it on at 17 he is ahead of where Robertson or Murphy was but its relatively at 17 they did not qualify for the crucible either at 18 they did not reach a semi final either..

but once they made that breakthrough you saw their game lifting same with williams,Higgins,Hunter you do not get that from trump if anything hes starting to go in reverse.... this season is pivotal for judd.

Postby N_Castle07

case_master wrote:Trump hasn’t failed to deliver anything. He reached the top 32 in his sport as a teenager winning a couple of titles along the way. He was 14 when other people were touting him as this and that.

At the end of the day it took a Stephen Hendry to win the world title at 21. We will see over the next 3 or 4 years where Trump is going in his career.

My thoughts exactly. This thread is laughable.

Postby N_Castle07

Bourne wrote:He's well behind the likes of O'Sullivan and Hendry at respective age but to say he's not ahead of where he should be is definitely debatable, you need to take into account the lack of tournaments.

So is everyone.

Postby Wildey

N_Castle07 wrote:
case_master wrote:Trump hasn’t failed to deliver anything. He reached the top 32 in his sport as a teenager winning a couple of titles along the way. He was 14 when other people were touting him as this and that.

My thoughts exactly. This thread is laughable.

ill tell you whats laughable thinking Trump getting better by his late 20s early 30s is acceptable....ITS NOT or you might aswell call him a jerneyman now then by the time hes Mark Davis age he also plays his best season.

this guy should be on a par with Ding by now the talent he has but he thinks hes god gift and people massaging his ego will help sod bloody all.

he needs a kick up his bottom big time.

Postby N_Castle07

Well maybe this thread will become Redundant next season with the new events Hearn has brought, who knows he may surprise all.

Postby Casey

Wild, it would seem its only your expectations that have been let down. Most people seem to think he has done very good for his age. He has already won more than the average journeyman so I don’t understand that comparison. <ok>

Postby Bourne

N_Castle07 wrote:

So is everyone.

I never said otherwise.

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:Wild, it would seem its only your expectations that have been let down. Most people seem to think he has done very good for his age. He has already won more than the average journeyman so I don’t understand that comparison. <ok>

what has he won ? lol

all hes done is qualify for a tournament Ronnie O'Sullivan won the masters and Shaun Murphy won the PL.

You seriously think hes fullfilled all he should have im not talking about winning tournaments even but give himself a hope to do so.

as i said he qualified for the World in 2007 how long does he take before riding on that minor success will have been long enough....

its time he moved it on if he wont in the next 2 years he never will and the promise he had will be evaporating very quickly thereafter.

Postby Roland

case_master wrote:Lack of tournaments is a big thing. Ronnie, John and Mark had hundreds of matches to play in during their first couple of seasons. Trump has had nothing like that.

Nail, head etc

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:
case_master wrote:Lack of tournaments is a big thing. Ronnie, John and Mark had hundreds of matches to play in during their first couple of seasons. Trump has had nothing like that.

Nail, head etc

bullocks

hahahaha its laughable the excuses i see on here.....

have any of you seen trump play ?

lack of tournament has nothing to do with it he thinks he can blits everyone off the table and he ends up looking a goof then he sits down looking like hell feeling hard done by ...his atetute to the game whats letting him down and im being perfectly honest i cant see that changing soon so his career would have past him by.

Postby Monique

I think the problem many have with Judd Trump is that he was brilliant as a junior, then reached the Crucible at 17, beat Ronnie the next season (even if it was an out of sorts Ronnie) to reach his first ranking semis, qualified for the PL ... and since has done very little except maybe in PL. So, in that perspective, he has been disapointing indeed, even if he has done better than most 20 yo.
But that does not mean he's doomed as Wild seems to think... Robertson had a very poor season after winning his first 2 ranking titles: to his own admission it was caused partially by pressure, partially by a feeling that now he had done it he could take his foot off the pedal a bit. Maybe there is some of that with Judd, who is younger than Robbo was at the time, so probaly less mature as well. But Robbo came back, and how! Judd is now managed by Grove and I'm confident Django will do what is needed to put him back on tracks.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Are you a Trump fan by any chance wild?

yes thats why i can see where he will go tits up..

i think more tournaments will help the likes of Selby even Ryan Day ffs but Trump needs a overhaul and a re think and soon.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:I think the problem many have with Judd Trump is that he was brilliant as a junior, then reached the Crucible at 17, beat Ronnie the next season (even if it was an out of sorts Ronnie) to reach his first ranking semis, qualified for the PL ... and since has done very little except maybe in PL. So, in that perspective, he has been disapointing indeed, even if he has done better than most 20 yo.
But that does not mean he's doomed as Wild seems to think... Robertson had a very poor season after winning his first 2 ranking titles: to his own admission it was caused partially by pressure, partially by a feeling that now he had done it he could take his foot off the pedal a bit. Maybe there is some of that with Judd, who is younger than Robbo was at the time, so probaly less mature as well. But Robbo came back, and how! Judd is now managed by Grove and I'm confident Django will do what is needed to put him back on tracks.

yes thats a possitive that he is changing managers and hopefully he will show sighns of that next season.

i think todays players are the victim of the success Ronnie and Hendry has had and trying to copy them instead of playing percentages the Davis way.

with the hyping hes had at a early age he joined the pro ranks thinking he only has to turn up and blow jerneymen out of the water.

but hes not pinpointing his failings in my opinion .Ronnie in a interview before a PL Match with trump threw a jibe towards him saying he was much more atacking than i was at his age and that is spot on Judd is trying to run before he can walk.

he is a slow learner.

Postby Alex0paul

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Sonny wrote:

Nail, head etc

bullocks

lack of tournament has nothing to do with it he thinks he can blits everyone off the table and he ends up looking a goof then he sits down looking like hell feeling hard done by ...his atetute to the game whats letting him down and im being perfectly honest i cant see that changing soon so his career would have past him by.

O'Sullivan, Higgins, Williams all played more matches in their first season than Trump has played in his professional career.

Postby Wildey

Alex0paul WC wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:bullocks

O'Sullivan, Higgins, Williams all played more matches in their first season than Trump has played in his professional career.

to be perfectly honest with you if Trump played the volume they did when they started he would have been swamped and got nowhere at all in the game.

as i said how much matches hes played has nothing at all to do with anything regarding trump i think hes dead lucky the tour does only consist of 96 players.