Post a reply

Re: What did Barry Hearn mean that we will see the best Worl

Postby snooker_loopy

It's funny to see that recent tv interview where Hearn praises the younger players.

"Seen probably means that the old guard is beginning to fade,Aside from Ronnie. Higgins ,Williams old guard,Murphy and Selby mid career unknown quantities on current form. Think he is meaning somebody new maybe could win"

The last two major snooker events were won by the current world number one and the current world champion. Which younger player is breaking through and posing a major threat in tournaments? IMHO Luca Brecel was the 'last young player' to be mega-hyped but he's yet to win a major or even lesser pro event.

Hearn is doing his best to make it a level playing field but there's very few lower ranked players (or any?) that seem capable of winning any of the big tournaments and that would suggest or prove Barry Hearn's great new vision/approach to snooker is not quite as exciting or radical as he likes to assert.

Postby edwards2000

You can't expect Luca Brecel to be winning majors or events at his age. Not everyone can do a Ronnie at 17. Players don't peak for at least 5 years after becoming pro. That was how it was for Hendry, Ronnie and Higgins and Williams. Watch Brecel winning the World title in a few years.,

Postby Holden Chinaski

edwards2000 wrote:You can't expect Luca Brecel to be winning majors or events at his age. Not everyone can do a Ronnie at 17. Players don't peak for at least 5 years after becoming pro. That was how it was for Hendry, Ronnie and Higgins and Williams. Watch Brecel winning the World title in a few years.,

I hope you're right. It would be so good for the game in europe to see Luca win the worlds or Uk or Masters.
Luca has all the technical ability in the world, but its his shot selection that's not good enough. Lets hope he will learn this in time.

Postby edwards2000

Oh, he will. If you look back at the greats, they all had suspect parts of their game from inexperience. And they brushed it out and never looked back. I may shove 100 quid on a bet that Luca wins the World in the next 5 years. I'm sure some bookies is doing something like that. And there's a good chance Luca will do it too.

Postby Andre147

edwards2000 wrote:Oh, he will. If you look back at the greats, they all had suspect parts of their game from inexperience. And they brushed it out and never looked back. I may shove 100 quid on a bet that Luca wins the World in the next 5 years. I'm sure some bookies is doing something like that. And there's a good chance Luca will do it too.

I would say in the next 5 years may be a bit premature to call, but Luca definately has all the ability and makings of becoming a World Champ in his career. What he needs though is to sort out that casual atitude he has on some of his shot selection, particularly his safety shots and escaping from snookers, as he often just gets down and plays the shot without thinking much about the angles, what he'll leave, etc.

It has to be said though he has lost against players in recent times we wouldn't dream of, he definately needs to start having some results again at the ranking events and competing against the top players as that will give him more and more experience. If he keeps losing against nobodies like he has in recent times he'll never improve in his game.

Postby SnookerFan

edwards2000 wrote:You can't expect Luca Brecel to be winning majors or events at his age. Not everyone can do a Ronnie at 17. Players don't peak for at least 5 years after becoming pro. That was how it was for Hendry, Ronnie and Higgins and Williams. Watch Brecel winning the World title in a few years.,

I guess that's the problem these days. People seem to have a higher standard of what they are expecting from people. I dunno if it's just because there are so many talented younger players coming through or if some people are just desperate to see youngsters come through.

But people seem to be expecting people to be the finished article almost as soon as a player joins the tour. And it's something I've probably done myself too, so am not finger pointing.

Postby edwards2000

It's likely because a trio of greats came about at the same time (and straight after the 1 man dominance of Hendry). Ronnie, Higgins, and Williams. They think it's the norm for great players to turn up. But it just isn't. It was a freak occurrence.

But even if you look at the greats, they were not wiping out the field at 17,18,19, or even 20.

Postby Simone

Holden Chinaski wrote:

I hope you're right. It would be so good for the game in europe to see Luca win the worlds or Uk or Masters.
Luca has all the technical ability in the world, but its his shot selection that's not good enough. Lets hope he will learn this in time.

Sometimes you will have to try to outlash your opponents in terms of just a sheer tenacity. All the current top players Robertson, Murphy, Ding, Maguire, Selby (and Ronnie) has learnt that very well from the people like Peter Ebdon and Steve Davis.

There isn´t too much to complain when Murphy is currently motoring 147s, or Ding´s playing, Robertson´s century amounts or that great 147-effort in Poland, just to mention something here..

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:

I guess that's the problem these days. People seem to have a higher standard of what they are expecting from people. I dunno if it's just because there are so many talented younger players coming through or if some people are just desperate to see youngsters come through.

But people seem to be expecting people to be the finished article almost as soon as a player joins the tour. And it's something I've probably done myself too, so am not finger pointing.

problem is Theres hardly any young players coming through. The well is dry so players like luca needs to get their bottom in geer or its like a old peoples tour.

Postby Andre147

Sonny wrote:All the young players of distinction are Chinese

Wouldn't say all of them, but yeah a vast majority of them no doubt.

Shane Castle impressed me very much against Selby and could have a promissing future.

And who remembers Kacper Filipiak <laugh> remember when he was only 15, played in that World Cup in Thailand and managed to beat Higgins, Mags and Fu in singles matches... even Ronnie at the time I think tipped him to become World Champ. He's still only 18 of course, but what has he done since then.. lost almost every qualifying match.

Postby Simone

I think at least 2 previous World Championships have been a really excellent. This year it is looking even a better prospect. Given how Murphy, Trump and Ding have all played lately. Ronnie played really good again during the Masters. But I personally think this year he needs some preparation before the worlds, or he will fell short there during the late stages of the tournament.

Postby snooker_loopy

Imagine a world of strangeness, where the rules of normality do not apply..... some might call it the Twilight Zone or if you prefer... the snooker zone.... where one man can steal another man's voice. Pray you never enter such a place....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/26431243

Sounds exactly like his dad. Freaky! :evilgrin:

(Technically this isn't snooker related) ;-)

Postby Holden Chinaski

snooker_loopy wrote:Imagine a world of strangeness, where the rules of normality do not apply..... some might call it the Twilight Zone or if you prefer... the snooker zone.... where one man can steal another man's voice. Pray you never enter such a place....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/26431243

Sounds exactly like his dad. Freaky! :evilgrin:

(Technically this isn't snooker related) ;-)

Lol, like father like son